1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hotel Owner Asks For Price - What should I say?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Evolv5, Jan 23, 2007.

Hello again,
    Well, I followed your guys advice on contacting hotel owners in the British Virgin Islands about my domain name (LongBay.net - 116,000,000 Google Search Results).
    I sent emails to a bunch of firms and hotels there, and now I've received a reply from a hotel owner. He's wondering how much I want for the domain.
    What should I ask for?
    I have no idea. I don't want to ask for anything absurd, and I don't know how "gullible" the buyer is. Should I try convince him that the leapfish appraisal (11000$) is genuine?

Really need advice and if you're serious about it, I'll rep you too :)

Evolv5, Jan 23, 2007 IP
    ServerUnion likes this.
  2. bkleinhe

bkleinhe Peon

Best Answers:
    That's about the most stupid post I've ever read. You sound like you are 10 years old. You'll be very lucky if you get $10,000 for it. I'd guess $5,000. The best buyer would be the owner of longbay.com. He/She would probably be willing to pay the most for it and may even have legal rights to it, which further lessens the value of the domain.

Be reasonable, would you rather have $5 to $10K in hand or nothing? It's just not that great of a domain.

bkleinhe, Jan 23, 2007 IP
    MrX and Evolv5 like this.
  3. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    It is worth what they will pay for it. If they feel they can get a return on the domain and have the money, 11K shouldn't be out of the range.

Start a little high and say there is room for negotiations. Not sure at what price to start, you will have to feel out the buyers for that info.

ServerUnion, Jan 23, 2007 IP
    Evolv5 likes this.
  4. Hopper

Hopper Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK, my opinion, for what it's worth.

I think first and foremost, you need to have a clear price in your mind that you are willing to trade at. YOU have to set that value.

Once you have set the value (v), you can then email him and say Leapfish values this domain at $11000, however I am not looking for that value I am looking for a figure in the region of $v x2 (or what ever you deem as suitable) would you like to trade?

and await his responce.

REMEMBER - ALWAYS close the sale, that is ask for a deal. Whatever happens with the negotiations, always ask for a trade. No-one will buy or sell unless one of the parties asks for a trade.

Once you have closed the sale, shut up. It is often said that once the close has been made, the first party to talk loses. What is meant by this is that if you make the close and ask for a trade, and then go back and ask what they thought of your offer it signals to them that you are willing to reduce the price further.

If on the otherhand they come back to you with a counter offer, it shows that they are at least willing to trade and is called a buyin signal. This is when the sale gets going.

Good Luck - and above all remember, a domain is only worth what another party is prepared to pay for it. There are literally 100's of thousands of domains out there that their owners think are worth $xxxx's, in reality there are very few that will trade for that amount. I should know, I own most of the ones that won't ;)

Hopper, Jan 23, 2007 IP
    ahkip, Colbyt and Evolv5 like this.
  5. bochgoch

bochgoch Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll just add I think the leapfish $11k is too high...

Good advice Hopper. TWONK.co.uk -- is a great domain name!

bochgoch, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  6. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    how big is the hotel?

ahkip, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  7. Evolv5

Evolv5 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The hotel has been in business for 41 Years now.
    Cheapest room costs 271$ per night.

Evolv5, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  8. tobycoke

tobycoke Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't they already have a website?

If you approached them then you should have a $ in mind. Since he didn't approach you I suspect he is just a tire-kicker and you won't hear back if you ask for $11,000 or even $5,000.

tobycoke, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  9. indoushosting

indoushosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Hopper explained it really well.

You should try and see how much he WISH to pay! Its quite possible that he will even refuse to discuss anything if you say $11k straight away. Better try and figure out how much he is willing to pay and then discuss. He surely will try to bargain.

Its important how much you wish to keep / sell the domain name & how much the buyer wish to buy the domain. Price depends very much on it.

indoushosting, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  10. Evolv5

Evolv5 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well how much I want, well, I bought it for 7.99$, so anything over that is just profit :)

Evolv5, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  11. askcybersteve

askcybersteve Guest

Best Answers:
    def follow hoppers advice. I also suspect he is just a tyre kicker. I think that when he gets a reasonable price of like 2-5k he will balk and dissapear. I'm sure hes expecting a $500 offer.

cheers

askcybersteve, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  12. Evolv5

Evolv5 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you're right. But hey, 500$ is better than nothing if I don't bother trying to find the right buyer. But I found some more places than the British Virgin Islands called LongBay..such as in Vietnam and South Carolina. I'll check them out. Thanks for everyones advice!

Evolv5, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  13. Hopper

Hopper Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There was a nice bit of advice on a similar thread elsewhere on DP when someone suggested putting the domain in question onto SEDO. The poster then suggested upping the price every week or so, once the person wanting to buy the domain realises that the pice is only going to increase, they may well move.

You could contact your prospective purchaser, tell them the price you are happy to sell for and tell them it will be advertised on SEDO in (say) 7 days time at a higher price.

Just a thought

Oh, this is the thread

Hopper, Jan 24, 2007 IP