1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Zend or Cakephp Framework? Others?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by mudanoman, Jan 22, 2007.

I heard Zend is still in its early stages, but besides Cakephp are there any other web2.0/scalable frameworks that are recommendable? Thanks!

mudanoman, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  2. libneiz

libneiz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think they are all pretty useless unless you are working on something large. I have used some in the past which had to be stripped way down once the site got large for optimization reasons. Here is an interesting article written by Rasmus concerning frameworks (especially MVC) in php: http://toys.lerdorf.com/archives/38-The-no-framework-PHP-MVC-framework.html

My personal opinion aside, here is an article comparing 10 of the more popular frameworks: http://www.phpit.net/article/ten-different-php-frameworks/ . I've used Cake, Solar, and Zend recently enough to be able to comment. From what I understand, Solar was the base for some of the Zend code. It is pretty useful, and not too bloaded. All in all, you may be able to save some codeing time with Solar or Zend if you don't mind lugging around a minimal amount of overhead. We use a modified Zend at work now, it seems pretty useful although it doesn't have all that many features you can use (I don't create a ton of PDF's, so a PDF class doesn't really help me).

libneiz, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  3. mudanoman

mudanoman Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your insight!

The 10 frameworks chart is very useful.

I notice you did not mention cakephp. I am assuming Zend and Solar are superior to Cake in your opinion ?

Anyway, thanks again.

Best

mudanoman, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  4. libneiz

libneiz Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not a big cake fan, no. There is absoultely nothing wrong with it (assuming you are cool with the overhead) but it's just a rip frorm rails...

libneiz, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  5. rays

rays Active Member

Best Answers:
    though i m not a big fan or frameworks ... have used ruby on rails for couple of projects and some walk through's in php framework... www.codeignitor.com is the one who impressed me a lot ... and i hope it will stand tall soon ...

though i recommend to create a custom application architecture for better performance and optimization depending upon the application ... frameworks is a kind of stuff we can compare with mobile phones... whenever we buy one or using one .. very soon we will feel other models are having good features .. and my phone is having 100's of features which i don't need at all and meanwhile you will forget its providing other 1000's of features .....

in other words ... "we always feels neighbors wife is more beautiful"

so my point is draw a boundry for yourself and focus more on application needs...

cheers

rays, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  6. avantis

avantis Guest

Best Answers:
    avantis, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  7. yutewa00

yutewa00 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm trying symfony framework. It's really awesome and it has really great documentation and community

yutewa00, Feb 4, 2007 IP