1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I need Advice - PHP with CMS? DotNetNuke?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by WorldwideInfoSource.com, Jan 22, 2007.

Hi,

I want to redo my site, http://www.WorldwideInfoSource.com, as well as some other domains that I own.

I was considering using .net with DotNetNuke, but recently I have noticed that PHP is very popular and there is a lot of stuff out there for it. I would want to use some kind of content management though.

Can anyone tell me what would be better, .net or PHP?

Also, are there any good free CMS's for PHP?

Will PHP run on a MS shared server?

Thanks!

WorldwideInfoSource.com, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  2. brentl

brentl Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla! is a good free PHP CMS. I prefer DotNetNuke though myself simply because it is built on the .NET framework.

You should know I am a web develpoer. I code both in .NET as well as PHP and I can tell you first hand that .NET is the superior technology - by far. But, it's really about preference. There is really nothing you can't do with either, it's just a matter of efficiency and preference. In .NET you can do things with one line of code, that would take 50 lines in PHP, simply becuase the controls are already built.

If you are going to use a CMS though, chances are you won't be doing much coding. DNN has a vast support network with hundreds of modules available. The really good DNN modules are over at snowcovered.com . Joomla! has quite a few modules availabe as well, but I don't think that CMS is evolved as much as DNN.

I'd say, think about what you want your site to do, then go see if there are modules out there for each CMS that will do what you want. Then pick the CMS that you can implement those modules on.

Another good .NET based CMS is Community Server over at communityserver.org

brentl, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  3. WorldwideInfoSource.com

WorldwideInfoSource.com Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the good info - additional thoughts anyone?

WorldwideInfoSource.com, Jan 22, 2007 IP