1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Many Pages Should I Put in my Sitemap?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by chrissatchwell, Nov 21, 2006.

One of my site is a photo collection site (sig link titled 'photo sharing service')

As time goes on it will get more and more photos and obviously have more and more pages, should I relly put every single individual photo detail page in my sitemap? Im just thinking because eventually the sitemap could end up with thousands of pages!

Thanks.

chrissatchwell, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  2. Kalyse

Kalyse Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally wouldnt put every single idividual photo.

But if you have for exmaple groupings or categories I would.

It really depends on the type of content.

If you are worried about having too many pages, just paginate your site map. Thats what I do when it is too long.

Kalyse, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  3. hhheng

hhheng Banned

Best Answers:
    Sitemap will not help your rankings. So it's not a good action to update your sitemap everytime when you got a photo, instead you can spend that to do some more important seo promotion.

hhheng, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  4. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If we are talking XML sitemaps, I would probably, once in a while, update the sitemap with the new pages containing the photos.

It is easy to do with a sitemap generator program.
    (E.g. using Windows task scheduler to launch it once every week)

websitetools, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  5. chrissatchwell

chrissatchwell Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I am talking about XML sitemaps, sorry should have said that earlier.

Thanks for the replys.

chrissatchwell, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  6. jitendra

jitendra Peon

Best Answers:
    ya u can put many page link in site map

jitendra, Dec 1, 2006 IP
    Jat likes this.
  7. bermuda

bermuda Peon

Best Answers:
    When talking about the XML sitemaps, I think no one has ever been able to fill it up so that there is no more room. Just add as much as you like. (Something around 50000 links is ok if I am not wrong)

bermuda, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  8. mani

mani Peon

Best Answers:
    Put as much as you can, sitemap helps googlebot to crawl your site easily, it does not help indexing or improving PR of your site, but it make a lot easier for crawlers to view your site structure.

I have all of my site links in xml sitemap

mani, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  9. DeniseSEO

DeniseSEO Guest

Best Answers:
    Categories, Sub Categories etc. not every photo.

DeniseSEO, Dec 2, 2006 IP
  10. jitendra

jitendra Peon

Best Answers:
    Put as much as you can, sitemap helps googlebot to crawl your site easily, it does not help indexing or improving PR of your site, but it make a lot easier for crawlers to view your site structure.

jitendra, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  11. la cala

la cala Peon

Best Answers:
    You can get some xml sitemaps that update automatically for you.

la cala, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  12. jitendra

jitendra Peon

Best Answers:
    Site Map
    The CITES web site contains several hundred pages of information about our services. To optimize your use of the site, we have designed the navigation to make it easier to find the information you need quickly. This page outlines the navigation structure so you may move about the site with ease.

About the Navigation
    Top of the page navigation
    Every page on the CITES web site contains a top navigation bar:

These links are provided on the top of every page to give you an anchor to important areas of the site. You may use the search field to quickly find information on the CITES web site.

Left-hand navigation
    Many pages on the CITES web site include a left-hand navigation bar. This bar is divided into four main sections:
    CITES graphic
    You can click on the CITES graphic at any time to return to the CITES home page.
    Services by Audience
    Certain groups of our users have common information needs. Each of the links under this heading brings you to a page that contains a list of topics we find are most relevant to each audience.
    Services by Category
    These links take you to pages for several of our most important and commonly used services. Each of these pages in turn has links to the most important information about the individual services. The services displayed in this list are by no means comprehensive, but rather a sampling of services provided by CITES. The Complete List of Services is a comprehensive list of services provided by CITES and may be another place to find the specific information you are seeking.

If you are using an up to date browser and have enabled JavaScript, you can quickly access a tool tip linking to and listing all the services in the Complete List of Services by letting your mouse hover over the link. You should see the following pop-up:

General Information
    Other important links are listed in this section:

Training - Courses and other resources for IT training
    Computing/Networking 101 - Basic information on some key technologies
    Contacts - Whom to contact for various services
    Glossary - Glossary of acronyms and technical terms
    About CITES - About the mission, organizational divisions, and history of CITES
    Job Openings - Available positions for employment at CITES

Search Engine Tips
    In most cases, the simple input box on the front page is sufficient for searching. Occasionally, though, you may find yourself in need of more control over the search parameters. In those cases, click the "Go" button next to the Search Box or go directly to http://www.cites.uiuc.edu/search/. When the page loads, click the "Advanced" button for more search options.

Search Options:
    (Visible when "Advanced" button has been clicked.)
    The "Search for this:" box is where you type your query. All other options are used to narrow the focus of your search and limit less useful results.

Site Limiting: Use the menu to the right of the search box ("Everything" is the default; click on arrow for additional menu items.) to limit searches to a particuar CITES page. If you needed, for example, information on HP-UX installation procedures, you could decide to search "only HP-UX documentation."

Without This: Use this box to remove phrases from the initial search. For example, you could search for "Linux without Red Hat" if you were using a non-Red Hat Linux distribution.

Proximity: This set of radio buttons forces the search engine to be stricter when matching patterns. The default setting is for "page," meaning all of your words must be on the same page. Setting the search proximity to "sentence" would result in a much more refined search.

Word Forms: This set of radio buttons defaults to "exact match." You can broaden your search to variants of words by choosing "Plural & Possessives" or "Any word forms."
    Ranking Factors
    Once you decide on your search criteria, you can prioritize the search factors to bring your document to the top of the results. By default, all ranking factors are set to medium.

Interpreting Your Results
    Percentage Bar: The percentage bar located to the right of each search result is an indication of the search engine's confidence that it has found the right documents based on an average of the weighting of your search priorities.
    Size: This category shows the size of the document in kilobytes.
    Depth: This category shows the level of your document in the CITES Web pages. For example, a search for QuickConnect guest account page would show a depth of 3 (CITES home, QuickConnect index, guest account page.)
    Find Similar: As the name suggests, this link attempts to find documents with content similar to the search result.
    Match Info: this link shows your search results with your search terms in bold.
    Show Parents: This shows which pages link to your document from higher in the CITES Web hierarchy.

jitendra, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  13. broganorama

broganorama Member

Best Answers:
    Hi
    Site maps that make it easier for google means your site will be fully indexed, all your sites pages so if that is what google wants for their free search engine I say give it to them
    Cheers.

broganorama, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  14. jitendra

jitendra Peon

Best Answers:
    Site Map is easiest way to know how many pages in website.

jitendra, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  15. basket_case

basket_case Peon

Best Answers:
    I just use my home page in my sitemap and G still picks up all the pages of my site.

basket_case, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  16. sukantab

sukantab Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As many pages as you want google to crawl of your site....

sukantab, Jan 24, 2007 IP