1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

anysite can use Press release

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by toby, Jan 18, 2007.

Hello guys,

I got many sites and I would like to know if any sites can use press release? for example I have a games site or video sites, can i use press release?

Or only those sites with unique concept can use press release?

please advise,
    toby

toby, Jan 18, 2007 IP
    James12513 likes this.
  2. salesmachine

salesmachine Banned

Best Answers:
    I think any sites can use press release. Even for adult sites. I used to make adult press releases back then.

salesmachine, Jan 18, 2007 IP
    toby likes this.
  3. Angelus

Angelus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you can, just make sure you place it at the right places.

p.l.u.r.

Angelus, Jan 18, 2007 IP
    toby and James12513 like this.
  4. whatsthedeal

whatsthedeal Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes you should definately use press releases. just make sure the subject is newsworthy and that you hire a professional writer if you are unsure of your writing abilities. press releases will do wonders for your site/business

also remember, you've got to pay to play.

whatsthedeal, Jan 18, 2007 IP
    toby likes this.
  5. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    hey, thanks guys for a definite answer. have given reps as a form of thanks.

by the way, does it really really make wonder? i.e. bring in, let say 1000 unique daily, for the first few days?

toby, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  6. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Make sure you dont just make to make one, make sure you have something that is newsworthy.

JeffC, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  7. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    are you suggesting NOT to make the Press release if my site is game site or video site (there's million outthere)?

I hope the press release will bring in traffic. If it doesn't please advise .

toby, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  8. Angelus

Best Answers:
    You can try and se the results by yourself and then let us know how you did...

p.l.u.r.

Angelus, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  9. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are just saying informing people of another game or video site, then probably not. You need to give people a reason to care about your site.

JeffC, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  10. MattKNC

MattKNC Peon

Best Answers:
    On the other hand, I think it is important for people to find the truly newsworthy information contained in their sites.

I regularly write press releases for clients and have come up with some newsworthy angles to use. Sometimes clients need an extra set of eyes to help them objectively determine what could be of interest to the media.

MattKNC, Jan 18, 2007 IP
    James12513 likes this.
  11. ash1

ash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    im sure it helps a lot, but is it worth the $$?

how much does it cost around for PR?

ash1, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  12. Angelus

Best Answers:
    There are free PR sites you know? :)

p.l.u.r.

Angelus, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  13. vvnh

vvnh Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't do it unless your site has some kind of special catch - compared to the 23 billion arcade sites already out there. Like a giveaway, a contest, etc. Somethign that'll grab attention (and make it newsworthy)

vvnh, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  14. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Can any site use a press release? Technically yes. Should every site use a press release? Absolutely not. If you have nothing newsworthy to say don't waste your time or clutter the Web with garbage releases. You won't get coverage, and the backlinks you'll get won't be worth it compared to simply writing an article and submitting it to directories or something that will at least give you relevant backlinks for pretty much the same ROI.

If you actually do have something particularly newsworthy, feel free to use the free template and instructions by following the first link in my sig.

And just another point that repeatedly gets brought up... don't look at press releases as a way to bring much traffic unless you're planning to spent a good bit on distribution (and even then it doesn't always translate to much direct traffic). Press releases are not traffic-building tools. They're publicity-building tools. The target reader of your press release should never be the target reader of your website unless you're running a website targeting journalists or bloggers. The key is to write for the media, giving them something newsworthy that they'll want to write a real story about (your goal should NOT be just to have them repost it as-is... only lazy journalists do that). They're the ones who should then be putting your story and url in front of your target readers if you target relevant outlets. That's how you effectively get traffic and raise awareness with releases... not through links in the release itself.

jhmattern, Jan 18, 2007 IP
    James12513 likes this.
  15. QwkSand

QwkSand Peon

Best Answers:
    You can do a press release even if your site is a game site or video site. What is being emphasized is that your press release should be a press release, with new products or other newsworthy information. I think there are some sites on how to write press releases.

Don't know how much traffic it brings. I'm only starting learn how to us PR, too.

Take a look at this: http://www.toprankblog.com/2005/10/lowdown-on-press-release-optimization/

QwkSand, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  16. MattKNC

MattKNC Peon

Best Answers:
    Any site that is recently launched or completely redone could benefit from a press release provided the news angle is emphasized. A gaming site could touch on all new games added to the site or even in reaching a particular milestone e.g., 1000th member, site anniversary, etc. The release has to be written to capture the interest of the media above all else.

MattKNC, Jan 20, 2007 IP
  17. netpox

netpox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey i just launched a press release blog, news, etc. It's new so not many hits but working on getting the word out. You can submit your stuff if you're interested. netpox.com

netpox, Jan 20, 2007 IP
  18. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thanks everyone for the input. After much consideration, it may not be wise for me to have a press release for my sites which is arcard and video sites which is nothing new.

thanks once agian.

toby, Jan 20, 2007 IP
  19. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Any website can use a press release, so long as it doesn't depend on the newsworthy factor coming from the website itself.

Websites don't often get quoted, people who own websites often do. So if you have something interesting to say, particularly a new take on a subject, it's entirely possible to get your quote included as a person who owns website 'x' just make sure the website is credible looking to journalists.

It's tons easier to comment on other people's news or industry news. Journalists never just report the bare facts, they report it in context and describe the consequence of the news by getting people in the industry to articulate those things.

I've been quoted in every newspaper in my country people pay for bar one irrelevant to my topics, and I'd say 80% of the stories I've been cited in and had my websites mentioned in are stories that originate with other people's news... all I do is provide a really good comment when journalists call me as a commentator.

It's all about the quality of your comment, not what your website does or doesn't do.

If you want real media coverage, don't focus on your website, focus on the news of the day and what your take on it is as a commentator in the industry. So long as you can establish credibility in the industry... your comment can be quoted.

P.S. My reply to questions about press releases and the media are based on the assumption that you are talking about the real media - dealing with flesh and blood living journalists, not some online press release distribution service that journalists may or may not have even heard of or pay any attention to.

Dominic, Jan 21, 2007 IP
    jhmattern likes this.