1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Castle Being Breached

Discussion in 'Google' started by wrmineo, Jun 19, 2005.

1. TooHappy

TooHappy Guest

Best Answers:

It is broken and they are playing with the Adsense dial in an attempt to fix it! Whoever they have at the controls on the weekends seems to be going to the extreme!

Google stock grows because they show a profit. Behind the scenes, the amount is not increasing as much as they would have you believe, so they turn the Adsense Dial and pay out less to webmasters. This allows them to play with the numbers and show more profit; this will only work for so long, and then it’s going to be abundantly obvious.

Microsoft / Yahoo! simply need wait until it becomes evident and then enter the game. Both have plenty of cash to enter the game and pay Adsense users more per click. Google responds by trying to compete, but doing so will show little or no growth for that period (or a few periods later). They can funnel funds from other areas, but this will be noticed as well.

At that point, Goog goes down and the other player’s stock goes up. Meanwhile, all of us who have websites out there will be enjoying the benefits! There is a war coming and it’s one you want to be smack in the middle of!

This all came to me after listening to my Google Radio a few nights ago. The colors started changing incredibly fast and a voice named Bill spoke to me informing me of good times ahead. He also mentioned the numbers 06 09 14 45, and then my battery died.

TooHappy, Jun 20, 2005 IP
    davedx and mopacfan like this.
  2. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ummm, Bob, I have been searching things on the internet for years... That is the basis for statement. There is not really any better base for a statement than actually using the products or services for the three major players for an extended period of time and then after that time stating the facts.

I did a large survey Bob, it is called surfing the web searching for things for the last 7 years or so... My results indicate that Google provides the most relevant results on a wide arrays of topics, terms and searches...

NewComputer, Jun 20, 2005 IP
    Design Agent likes this.
  3. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Show me the money! Prove it! The problem with long term trends is that you can't see the recent changes. I'm not interested in seven years ago. I would agree that they were clearly superior historically.

The question is what have you done for me lately? The answer is that there is evidence of chinks in their armour. Look at the last six months. Look at today. We are not talking about historical data. We are talking about current data. You continue to express uncollaborated opinions. I've been surfing for more than ten years, but the question is what is happening today. You haven't addressed this question, you have only trotted out your unsubstantiated historical bias.

So don't get all huffy on me. Show me some evidence today that they are maintaining their historical relevance and performance.

"There are none as blind as those that will not see."

compar, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  4. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Do me a favour Bob, back up your opinions... you tell me what is happening today. I use G today more than I ever have in the past. The constantly roll out the best products and features on a daily basis (maps, toolbars, adwords, adsense)... It is really quite painfully obvious that what they are doing is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition...

Why do you think these other SE's keep coming out with products to MATCH what G has already released? Yahoo AdSense? MSN AdWords.... haha... you cannot be serious about this Compar, I thought you were smarter than that....

PS: I am finished 'arguing' with you on this Compar, I think you are bored on a Monday afternoon and are looking to stir the pot... again, just my opinion and I can only go on historical data to back it up... :)

5. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    As of this post, the cited page is #29.

More important, just because it has no title, does that make it irrelevant?

The fact is, the search terms appear on the target page, and they are prominent. The page is actually Earthlink's web hosting help desk. Seems quite relevant to the search IMO.

/*tom*/

longcall911, Jun 20, 2005 IP
    davedx likes this.
  6. davedx

davedx Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I just checked it too. Love how the thread gets to 5 pages before anyone actually "checks the facts" :eek:

The "Untitled Document" has information related to webhosting help such as:

Building a Website
    Using FTP
    Programming on the Web
    E-Commerce
    Using Frontpage

And more...

So far the "evidence" that Google is broken is this page sitting on page 3 of the SERPs - argh no, it must be broken! - and one person's website jumping about during an update.

I think the problem here is perspective. A lot of DP forum posters depend to some degree on their sites doing well, so when things shift around a lot they get worried and start to think G. is broken. Just like with DMOZ - why are people so passionate about it? Because they're building income generating sites that depend on high search rankings.

This is an SEO forum. Almost every day there's either a post slamming DMOZ or a post saying "Google is in its death throes!". Stand back a little and ask yourself, do you really believe a company like Google is "sinking" because the update is taking longer? Don't you think they'd be able to roll back to a previous algo version if worst came to worst anyway? Do you think all the people buying stocks are really that dumb?

davedx, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  7. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    The funny part about that is, someone is upset because it is not optimized for that term, or not optimized the way that some people think it should be.

Title or no title, I don't care. They offer a service and are one of the top in the nation. They are on page #3 and I rarely go past page two...

8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    New Computer stated his opinion that Google prduces more relevant results:

which I happen to agree with, though that is neither here nor there.

For you to ask him to "prove" his opinion is as silly as me asking you to prove yours, which was the point of my post.

minstrel, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    And none so deaf as will not listen. I'll make a deal with you, Bob. Don't go all silly on us and we won't go all huffy on you.

An opinion is just that... in my opinion, orange or tomato juice is tastier than lemon or grape juice. How do I "prove" that to your satisfaction?

minstrel, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  10. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    I am sorry that I even stated my opinion now. Not because I don't stand behind my assertion that Google is great, but to remain considered so, must put some chlorine in the pool so to speak, but because it has spawned a conversation completely out of context of the original post.

It is sad on many levels that this conversation has gotten way off course. It has been inferred that my aforementioned opinion must mean that I think it is the beginning of the end for Google - not said, not implied, not true.

I never said Google doesn't have relevant results; I never said Google is anything but the premiere source; I never said many of the things being speculated and argued now -- these things have been taken out of context for the mere convenience to incite - shameless. What I did in fact say ... well, read the original post - it mentions some results slipping through that I think don't belong, pursuant to Google's own guidelines of relevant content, title and alt-tags, etc. I never said the sky is falling ...

It is shameful on those who took it out of context, and for those who allowed themselves to be incensed by those who's only goal was to aggravate.

Is this the "norm" professionalism, integrity and respect shown amongst DigitalPoint members? I simply won't accept that it is; or at least, I certainly hope not.

wrmineo, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  11. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    No one meant to aggravate. As far as being shameful, topics routinely take a course that is slightly different then the original topic. This is one of the great things about Digital Point, no rigid rules on staying 100% on topic.

I would argue though that the conversation about the relevancy of the results versus the other major search engines is completely with sticking to the topic. McDar's posts have been very beneficial to this thread and despite not agreeing with her assesment of Google based on those facts, she has brought out another side of things which I appreciate and value.

yfs1, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  12. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    YFS1 - yet again, I am humbled by your saged insight and non-confrontational demeanor; thanks - your points are valid and accepted at face value for future rememberance and application.

Thanks!
    w®m

wrmineo, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  13. yfs1

Best Answers:
    The fact that it spawned 6 pages shows your initial post was a good one ;)

Some of us like debate more than others and that can possibly come across wrong to new members but its that same debate that has made me rethink my position many times.

Thats good for SEO ;)

I hope you keep posting!

yfs1, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  14. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not going anywhere ... just need a little acclimation, I guess. Thanks!

wrmineo, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  15. yfs1

Best Answers:
    We are a dysfunctional family......but we are a family ;)

Now sit down at the kiddie table and eat your vegetables!

yfs1, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  16. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, sir! I'm seated, eating and awaiting more dishes ...

wrmineo, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  17. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    WR,

You should get used to things getting a little 'hairy' here... Don't take it personally and don't take it too serious. Remember, these are public forums, so if anyone here was truly running their business and trying to keep a professional demeanor they would steer clear of these boards ;)

NewComputer, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    <edit>I made these comments before reading page 2 but I agree with yfs1 and NC</edit>

You're taking things way too personally, wrmineo.

Half or more of the comments in a thread like this one will be in response to something said by other than the original poster -- which is also the case here.

You're going to have to desensitize a bit or you'll never survive the world of forums.

minstrel, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  19. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    wrmineo,

I think you're playing to a tough crowd here. I'm not a professional SEO, but many on this board are. In fact, many are seasoned veterans who've been hacking html since well before there were WSIWYG editors and some still code with *notepad* to avoid the bloat :)

The point is, it's a hard core crowd (IMO) that enjoys the challenge of sorting fact from fiction, and may in fact provide a service to the industry in doing so.

The thread title you chose and the opening salvo went something like this:

"Google Castle Being Breached"

"The Google Moat is Leaking"

Too often, people stop by DP and make statements that are unsubstantiated. Often these statements feed the rumor mill. When that happens, an army of DP SEOs will jump in to debunk the rumor, sort of like the TV show 'myth busters'.

I suspect the thread would have taken a different turn if instead you had posted:

Is the Google Castle Being Breached?

Is The Google Moat Leaking?

Ahhh.... the power of a little word like 'is' and a question mark. :)

/*tom*/

longcall911, Jun 21, 2005 IP
    minstrel and NewComputer like this.
  20. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Well put 911....

NewComputer, Jun 21, 2005 IP