1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Sitemaps

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by digitalpoint, Jun 2, 2005.

1. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am hoping that I will get my new site indexed too. I used the script on phpbb.com about 3 days ago. About 100 of 20000 pages have been indexed. Hopefully, more will be added soon.

dvduval, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  2. WyattEA

WyattEA Guest

Best Answers:
    Sorry for being a little off topic, but when you say you generate hundreds of pages a month, do you mean your site is dynamic but it creates static URL's for the SE's? i've been trying to find information on doing this for my site - anyone have any info on doing this?

WyattEA

WyattEA, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  3. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    In general, no. Most content generated is either html or shtml pages. There are ways of doing this, basically, I think, by mod_rewriting dynamic URLs. My ScriptsGold subdomain generates dynamic URLs, but I had the script modified to make them static.

egdcltd, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  4. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    Thought about starting a new thread on this but decided not to.

Are people seeing new sites getting indexed quicker when using the sitemap - or is it still somply a case of pointing enough links into the site to get it indexed ?

jlawrence, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  5. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a fairly new site that had been indexed by Google. I decided to change the page titles to most of the pages and thought that this would be a good time to try out the new sitemap feature in Google.

I submitted the sitemap and it was uploaded and accepted more that a week ago now.

Google has yet to update to reflect ANY of the new page titles. So apparently, Google has not bothered to spider the site even once as a result of the submission.

So far, I am NOT impressed!

Caryl

mcdar, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  6. Googles76

Googles76 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not impressed either. I've submitted a sitemap more than a week ago and Google has yet to clean up it's index with my site. For some reason it still has pages indexed that were removed weeks ago. It is just one big mess right now.

Googles76, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  7. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For what it's worth, I've 159,000 pages indexed on one domain since adding my sitemap. The domain is two years old and has a PR5 domain, however.

Sounds to me like the sitemap tool won't help new sites and Google is still applying a sandbox of sorts.

Infiniterb, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  8. Jade456

Jade456 Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder how much it will really help. Has anyone sent them a txt file version?

Jade456, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  9. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    I sent in a text file, just a list of urls separated by newlines. It seems to have worked pretty well, but google was already starting to crawl heavily, so it's not like it went from 0 to 1000 a day. But I think it helps. So does putting random deep links on the front page, that's what seemed to really spur google into action.

nddb, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  10. Skeleton

Skeleton Peon

Best Answers:
    Check my website about Google Sitemaps. You can find the link in my signature.

Skeleton, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, no, we can't. You need a certain number of posts before your signature shows up here.

But even if it were there, most people probably wouldn't bother clicking. If you have an opinion or comment, spill a bit here... then if people are at all intrigued, they might go to your site to read the rest of the "article" or whatever it is. As it stands now, my guess is most people will read your post as an attempt to leech traffic to your site, and just move on to the next post.

minstrel, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  12. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You've been Minstrelized...

NewComputer, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    :D just trying to acquaint the new member with how forums work... :eek:

minstrel, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  14. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Good stuff....hehehe :D

Foxy, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  15. WebDesignPro

WebDesignPro Peon

Best Answers:
    From our own observations; It looks like as the workload of sitemap.xml files builds up, the indexing rate is slowing down. As more people submit sitemaps, the time dedicated to indexing your site is decreasing.

Anyone else noticing that revisits are taking longer?
    Our record is 19,000 pages in 4 days. That was for a file submitted 5 days ago.

WebDesignPro, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  16. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yup, I concur... Which is to be expected. My first site was crawled and indexed within the hour (and those were brand new domains) and the last one I submitted was 6 days ago and looks like G was here today...

NewComputer, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  17. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    So you guys are implying they had dedicated spiders/crawlers available for this.

I doubt that's the case. They just get added to the same URL queue and spidered by the same bots (is my guess - would make most sense from efficiency point of view).

T0PS3O, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  18. ian_ok

ian_ok Peon

Best Answers:
    I added 4 text files.

One of my sites has gad G all over it more importantly G had not touched any of my database pages until submitting this file! Now have over 400 pages up from 20 - 50.

One site still in the sandbox!

One site indexed all forum pages and then 2 days later say's P*ss *ff and now none of the forum pages are done!

Last site happy with slightly better cralwing

Ian

ian_ok, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  19. Imran

Imran Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is there any SiteMap tool for PostNuke? I tried SnakeSEO but it's links are not working Modified the .htaccess according to what snakeSEO says but the links are still broken hence my sitemap's arnt working when I tried other php sitemap tool's they generate use less pages and other stuff in the sitemap instead of including the articles of the site it includes images/registered users list ! I hope there is one for postnuke which works!
    If any one know or can help me please?

Imran, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  20. minstrel

Best Answers: