1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question about duplicate content

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Hijacker, Jun 18, 2005.

Hey all :).

Currently my weblog is running via a subdomain (link in my signature). Now I want to get a real top level domain. I want the TLD to be the main domain, not the subdomain. Now, if I have those two domains, will Google (and other SEs) consider this as multiple content?

Another thing: I want to enable static deeplinks to my posts (so it looks like domain.de/item/id/20/ instead of index.php?id=20), but will still have the dynamic URLs have enabled, too. I also have some posts, relatively linking to other posts via the dynamic urls.
    So, both, static and dynamic URLs would still work and would still output html to googlebot.

Combining both problems mentioned above, will I be penalized? If yes, what can I do to avoid it?

//edit: By the way: Yes, I read the other post which is just in this subforum, too... But still, I have that other issue, so I rather started a new thread, instead of hijacking (haha ;) ) the other one.

Hijacker, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Having bot static and dynamic urls will result in dup content unless you remove one by means of the robots.txt or 301 one to the other.

About the move, why would you want to keep the old one? Just get rid of it or 301 it to the new location!

T0PS3O, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  3. Hijacker

Hijacker Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, okay, thanks, the robots.txt is a good idea ;).

Well, the thing is, the subdomain is the domain on the server, where my stuff is on. Yet, I don't know of any other possibility, to access my stuff online, would have to speak with my friend, if I could drop, or 301 the domain to somewhere else...

Thanks so far :)

Hijacker, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  4. Hijacker

Hijacker Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, another question:

The static URLs will be created via .htaccess (mod rewrite). Will that still count as double content, or does Googlebot recognize this, and knows, that ?id=50 is the same like /item/50/ ?

Hijacker, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Once you mod rewrite it there is only 1 url. The 'old' one gets rewritten and will never be visible. You can combine it with the 301 and G will still know of only 1 url.

T0PS3O, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  6. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    And note that the .htaccess rewrite rules are done on apaches side, and not the client side (in this case, Google Bot)

With many/all sites, you cant even see the contents of their .htaccess, so there really isnt any way for Google to know whats in there.

Josh

Josh, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  7. Hijacker

Hijacker Peon

Best Answers:
    Umh, sure? I already tested in on my testblog, and there both URLs worked. The dynamic AND the static ones...?!

By the way, if it might help, this is the code from the htaccess:

<Files item>
    ForceType application/x-httpd-php
    </Files>
    <Files section>
    </Files>
    <Files trackback>
    </Files>
    Code (markup):
    So, whenever the static URLs are called, - regarding to their destination (item, section and trackback) - they will be processed by the respective file.

Hijacker, Jun 21, 2005 IP