1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Includes "Retrieved Date" To Its Cache Pages

Discussion in 'Google' started by Sharon and Roy, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Cricket

Cricket Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Whew... I thought it was just me! THANKS Bob! I know I can always count on you to say what many of us only think! ;)

Cricket, Aug 5, 2004 IP
  2. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    You're welcome Cricket. You know you can always depend on me to ask the tough question :D

Anal retentivity drives me wild.

compar, Aug 5, 2004 IP
  3. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Intellectual curiosity mostly - in this case, it's fairly easy to "nail the facts" as I have done - my guess is the same reason you have a 100+ page thread on sleeping bags?!? ;-)

alek

hulkster, Aug 5, 2004 IP
  4. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that is right at all. The "sleeping bags" experiment is trying to prove or disprove some very specific points. Our endeavour was to exit from this thread with a proven body of knowledge.

What is you endeavour with all this detailed analysis and speculation about whether or not Google's time is 2 second late or 2 second early? What have we learned, and what can we do with the information? It is useless anal retentive claptrap IMHO.

compar, Aug 5, 2004 IP
  5. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't know what to say - being a "coder", Shawn and I are perhaps a bit alike and we both made ONE post confirming the behavior ... so we "proved" a very specific point and have exited with that ... although as I mentioned, a related interesting point is that the cache is still showing a page from about 48 hours ago when it spidered about 24 hours ago. This obviousely has some bearing on when changes in pages are reflected in the cached copy, and as noted, may have some bearing on when changes are reflected in the SERP's. This does seem somewhat consistant with my personal observations of a day or two delay, and then "boom", the changes can be observed in the SERP's.

My two cents!

alek

P.S. I think the fact that you can almost set your watch to when Google spiders the main www.komar.org page is also interesting ... but we'll save that for another day! ;-)

hulkster, Aug 5, 2004 IP
    GuyFromChicago likes this.
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's just interesting (useless) info... I'm not trying to prove anything with it. :)

digitalpoint, Aug 5, 2004 IP
  7. WilliamC

WilliamC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think that any proven info about any search engines habits is useless info. Especially to those in the business of coding scripts that have to be as precise as possible.

WilliamC, Aug 5, 2004 IP