1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Cache Problems?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Phynder, Jan 14, 2007.

I am wondering if I am looking at this incorrectly, so I am turning to the DP collective to point out the error of my ways.

Looking at http://www.deepmarket.com/charity/the-charity-long-tail/ I see that the toolbar PR says PR6. Cool.

But is it?

When I do a cache:www.deepmarket.com/charity/the-charity-long-tail/ in Google - the proper page does not show up - the front page of the site shows up, which happens to be a PR6. Am I looking at this wrong? Why would the index page show instead of the proper page in the cache?

Phynder, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  2. shutzu

shutzu Active Member

Best Answers:
    the same shows up to me. are you sure you don't have problems with your .htaccess file?
    have you checked this page before and there was no problem with it?

or.. who knows, might be a bug in G although I don't think so.

shutzu, Jan 14, 2007 IP
    Phynder likes this.
  3. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    I see it. Did you recently change structure? I checked a couple of pages of yours from 2005, and found that they are not affected.

And that page does not seem to be indexed, but it holds PR:
    http://www.google.com/search?q="I+have+always+had+an+internal+debate"

Trying to nail down some changes mentioned here I was just looking at these 2 threads again:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=188206
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=1779168

There are problems with the cache, that's for certain.

NetMidWest, Jan 14, 2007 IP
    Phynder likes this.
  4. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For that page, it is the generic WordPress .htaccess modified for /category/article-name with additional modifications to re-direct non-www to www. But, I am not certain there isn't any problems with my .htaccess - could be. I can post it if anyone wishes to peer at it.

I had not checked this page before - or certainly don't remember it. I only noticed it after the PR update and saw that all my internal pages had gone PR0 - except some that were PR6 - which I thought was odd.

Phynder, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  5. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Phynder, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  6. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think your .htaccess is the problem, everything including status codes seem to be fine. I think it is a Google glitch, not yours.

As far as your internals going 0, I had the same happen on another site. I attribute it to some rollback (it got first PR in the Sept. update) or loss of data and non-update of supplementals, or perhaps non-update of anything NOT linked to the homepage.

Are your pages with PR linked from the homepage, and your PR 0 pages all 2 clicks or more in? Your domain is much older, when did it first get PR?

7. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Thanks for taking the time to walk through possible problems -

I am not as concerned (or surprised) about all the internal pages going PR0, but since you brought it up again there is another piece of the puzzle:

In December, my wonderful registrar - RegisterFly - decided to expire my 10 year domain (goodness knows how they did it - they just returned my money and said my domain was expired). Well, because of that www.deepmarket.com went to a landing page for about three weeks - which I am pretty sure led to the de-indexing of all pages at the domain. So, I am not surprised that the domain was de-indexed.

As a result, the only page that I see with PR is the front page - www.deepmarket.com. The other pages, like the example in the original post, have PR6 - but not the correct cache - which is the part I find to be odd.

I think the domain first got PR back in 2005 - if not earlier. Certainly by the beginning of 2006.

I know it is a mess and as I said I am not surprised by the PR0 on all the internal pages - what is surprising is the odd PR6 on a couple of internal pages and the weird cache: results.

Phynder, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  8. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Three weeks... I would think those pages would retain the PR if they came back. Losing the cache would probably happen if you were getting good crawls, and I'm sure you were. Google probably sees registerfly's page thousands of times a day and knows about it - perhaps ignoring it or banning caching/crawling the content on the landing page. It's useless for Google serps. Alot of those landing pages 302 to something else, or show a search/directory page with 302 redirects as well, and Google is having problems - they are caching the resulting content again, no matter the domain.

Could it be that Google simply replaced the cache with that of the main domain url rather than whatever the registrar had up, and has not updated it since?

You might have a piece of the puzzle I'm working on - I don't suppose you would post or PM those dates.

9. Phynder

Best Answers:
    I was getting REALLY good crawls - like 1000 pages a day. Googlebot was hammering be up until Dec 17th, when a landing page (actually from eNom) showed up in place of my domain. The landing page had some deep links that Google did crawl, but it seems gbot's requests for those pages is reducing everyday (I still get a bunch of requests). I didn't check at the time, but I don't think they were 302 redirects. Then finally, I was able to get the domain back up on 2 Jan (so a total of 17 days).

I am not sure I understand your question in the second paragraph - but here is my answer anyway ( :) ) - The landing page was crawled and cached during the 17 days. About 3-4 days after I got the domain back up, the front page cache refreshed to the non-landing page and is actually pretty fresh now.

Phynder, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  10. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    u have any BLs to that page before the ones here?

thegypsy, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  11. Phynder

Best Answers:
    I have to look around, but certainly this one -> http://www.globalgiving.com/aboutus/media/index.html

Not to say it isn't relevant, but I am having a hard time understanding how it would be relevant? I don't want to get out of focus - I think I understand why all my inner pages don't have PR - but, that isn't the question I have. I am curious as to why the cache for the page in question is actually showing the front page.

However, on a selfish level I am also curious as to why my inner pages have no PR :)

Phynder, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  12. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
  13. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Here is something fun I just found. When I do a site:www.deepmarket.com - the listing for the URL in my original post looks like this:

Which reflects the landing page during the domain name outage. In fact, when you select the cache link in the listing, the cache is showing the landing page information.

Why is this interesting? Because it wasn't showing that a couple of hours ago.

Perhaps Google is having infrastructure problems or just getting things sync'ed up.

Phynder, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  14. Phynder

Best Answers:
    I am not certain about that page being indexed - it would be helpful in understanding what is going on. Hard to tell how long it has been like that - I only noticed it today.

Unless it is a problem with my .htaccess setup - it seems that Google is having some problems.

Phynder, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  15. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    I know if can't be painful.. but wait it out 12-24hrs.... it 'could' be the htaccess since the cache seems to have all the properties of the old home page... but a little early to jump the gun on that

It is showing a Dec cache... gotta see if it's on G's side or yours... means we have to wait... could be DCs or other fudgyness...

That page DID exist back in Dec. though?

16. Phynder

Best Answers:
    I agree on all counts. Seems Google needs a lot of settling.

Yes, the page was published on 1 Nov 2006 - but I am not certain if it was indexed anytime after that.

This pretty much confirms I was seeing weird results - thanks everyone!

Phynder, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  17. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    keep me posted - here or PM

18. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Well, it looks like all the caching problems got fixed over the past couple of weeks. All those PR6 pages went back to PR4s and PR0s - goofy, huh?

I have some other questions - if anyone wishes to take a minute and try to explain some stuff to me -> http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=2230876

Phynder, Jan 31, 2007 IP