1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is Google put on such a pedestal?

Discussion in 'Google' started by mnymkr, Jan 13, 2007.

I use Google everyday. I am not sure why. Maybe because the name is catchy. But from what I understand, they very seldom update their back links or page rank. They have a supposed democratic system for telling which pages are important yet that can easily be scammed by link building. So why exactly does google outweigh MSN and Yahoo in the eyes of the masses?

mnymkr, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  2. Austars

Austars Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is untrue. Their rankings continually change, its just their PR, which is really only for important for people buying/selling links changes rarely. Also, they do have code in place that can detect spam sites based on the quality of links.

Austars, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  3. joecool6101

joecool6101 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hate google... i personally use yahoo better results i find.

joecool6101, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  4. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google is good for some results and Yahoo is also Good for some results

But I use Google since their pages are very white and it is clearly visible where as in yahoo and in MSN their font and text design is not so very much Good

Freewebspace, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  5. trafficnotice

trafficnotice Peon

Best Answers:
    As Austars said, Google makes a good search engine and pays lots of people money via AdSense and their super high stock price. People moved away from Yahoo (and others) in the early days of Google before people were trying to exploit it so much with spamming. Now they are so big and make the news so often that everybody knows about them. Not to mention that most news stories about Google are about how great they are even if the article is about click fraud and is trying to be a bit more critical. Ah yes, they also know how to be nice to tech people supporting open source development, making free APIs for their products and so. One can only wonder how much longer this will last, however.

trafficnotice, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  6. joecool6101

Best Answers:
    i swear the school i used to go to.. google sponsored them. because i went on yahoo and teachers would freak... wonder why exactly...

joecool6101, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  7. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Pagerank and backlinks ARE continually updated in the google-index. When webmasters look for those though, google doesn't give the updated info.

As for teachers: in my experience many are not very good online. So they've learned google is best and don't realize that a student that actually compares SE's might be smart instead of stupid.

kh7, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  8. nikolaalx

nikolaalx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google is put on pedestal, because it is the leader in search engine traffic.

If people were making riches from MSN, and not from Google, then MSN would have been put on pedestal ;)

nikolaalx, Jan 14, 2007 IP
    cldnails and longcall911 like this.
  9. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Because when you do a search for AAA , you don't get AAB, ABA, and so on like Yahoo, You get AAA first. Making the difference...
    Not sure this is clear though :D

Codythebest, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  10. cldnails

cldnails Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    AFreakinmen. It's a matter of them being a market leader and thus far they deserve it. They are not put on a pedestal for just one reason, but many different factors. They offer a plethora of free tools, the best contextual ad program, good search results, and for the most part..no fluff.

cldnails, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  11. Forsh

Forsh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I run into tons of non-relevant (Link-farm and adsense) sites on Google when I am searching. I think they are given too much credit sometimes.

Forsh, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  12. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think the name ask.com is more catchy but no much people use it.
    Google wins because of its algorithem.

xc06, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  13. edr

edr Guest

Best Answers:
    No algorithm is perfect, but I think Google has thus far proven themselves to have superior search results in most people's eyes. That said it could just be that at some point the term "Google" became synonymous with "search" and the brand became a verb. It's much like Xerox means photocopy and Kleenex means tissue - it's not that Canon doesn't make photocopiers and others don't make tissue paper, but rather the brand recognition has taken hold in the lexicon.

So masses of people use Google because tht is what they hear. They don't hear Yahoo for search or other engines.

From a webmastering standpoint we understand further the value of the other tools, market share, and traffic Google represents. Further from an investment point of view many recognize Google for the value of shares.

Google could be any other media company it just happens to be the one on top for now.

edr, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  14. joecool6101

Best Answers:
    according to alexa its:
    1.Yahoo
    2. MSN
    3. Google

these figures change every day but it shows alot more traffic going to yahoo because yahoo offer SO MUCH MORE then google does.. i mean google offers videos and gmail.. but if you go to there main page it is no where to be found.. so you have to type "google videos" in order to find google videos. But i can go to yahoo click on the heading video and done. no time wasted pointlessly.

joecool6101, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  15. ottodo

ottodo Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeh, but most of internet users know nothing about Alexa, plus google is searched based IMO :)

ottodo, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  16. MattD

MattD Peon

Best Answers:
    Initially google was great and was way ahead of the competition - "I'm Feeling Lucky" worked 90% of the time back then.

These days though I'd say that MSN and Yahoo are pretty good in comparison - google seems to be full of a lot of noise from blogs and forums and mailing groups etc - I personally prefer a "real" site over a forum post or a mailing list reply when looking for information.

I still use google though because their results page doesn't have as much as a delay as yahoo or msn! :)

MattD, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  17. Bangkok Baby

Bangkok Baby Peon

Best Answers:
    In simple terms, Google win masses because the normal internet surfers from their surfing experience beleive that google is the best search engine on internet.

Bangkok Baby, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  18. mnymkr

mnymkr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think this is a great explanation. How often does someone say "Go Google it"

Maybe it is because they are seen as just a search engine where Yahoo seems to have everything.

However, in reference to what someone said above, most people believe backlinks are only updated every few months also.

Is that the same as being indexed?

mnymkr, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  19. lipskin

lipskin Peon

Best Answers:
    I still mainly use Google, but for many of my searches the results seem to be getting worse. It's not for every search, but it gets a bit frustrating sometimes. I understand, however, that as the internet grows it gets more difficult to index the gajillions of pages out there.

Besides, we all know that Google's plan is for world domination through data-gathering! ;)

lipskin, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  20. Motter

Motter Peon

Best Answers:
    They are targeted because they get the most people. Google gives a great service and that is why more people use it. That is also the reason that more people target it with their crap.

check out THIS post and comment on it with your thoughts or drop a line at my blog.

Motter, Jan 14, 2007 IP