1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keyword competition script

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by VIZ, Dec 8, 2004.

Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone knows of a script that allows allintitle:keyword and / or intitle:keyword inanchor:keyword searches for multiple keywords. Doing these searches one keyword at a time is tedious.

I'm sure most will understand why I want to do these searches. For those that don't...

WordTracker gives a rough indication of competition for a keyword by listing the number of pages returned in the SERPs for that particular keyword. However to get a clearer idea of competition you really need to know how many of those pages are actually optimized for that keyword.

Doing an allintitle:keyword search gives an idea of the number of pages using on-page SEO for that keyword. Even better is doing an intitle:keyword inanchor:keyword search which shows the number of pages that feature the keyword in both their title and inbound links - clearly they are actively optimizing for that keyword & the real competition.

This is easy enough to do for a few keywords but really tedious if your working through a list of keywords, which is why I'm hoping a script is available.

Many thanks :)

VIZ, Dec 8, 2004 IP
  2. General Grant

General Grant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.1stposition.net has a tool, but ya gotta buy it.

General Grant, Dec 11, 2004 IP
  3. ryanturner.com

ryanturner.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Right now I use a gamit of tools to do what you are talking about. I go one step further in detail to determine competition. Despite all the 3rd party and custom tools I do not have one integrated solution for keyword research. Most of the freebies and the paid ones are good enough for most people. But not when you have a lot of clients and you really need a great more detail and intelligence behind them. I might just have to bite the bullet and write one.

:(

Keep us posted if you find any thing really good.

ryanturner.com, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  4. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    You read my mind. I don't know of it being out but I have been looking at the Google api and I'm planning on doing one (seems easy to do) as soon as I finish my directory submission tracking script.

kalius, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  5. ryanturner.com

ryanturner.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I have bought a few tools for SEO and have been let down again and again. At most I can utilize one or two features of an app and they seem to get me about 70% of where I need to go... Probably sufficient for newbs but for the pro SEO - it still looks like the SEO has to be a developer as well. Things are changing so quickly that our tools need to change too. Unlikely any off the shelf app is going to get us what we want.

ryanturner.com, Jul 6, 2005 IP
  6. rwhetsto

rwhetsto Peon

Best Answers:
    Time to plug my tool, heh,

Mine doesn't give the number of sites that come up for the allin queries, but it does give a numerical value for competition. It looks at a number of things to determine how competitive a term is. You can check it out if you would like as a slightly different way to figure out competition. I made the tool because I was having a hard time figuring out what keywords had huge competition and were not worth the time to try to optimize for. It has helped with that and when I do consultation it makes it easier to give clients good advice on which kw's to target.

Links are in my sig... I think, heh. It's been a while since I've been on here.

Let me know what you think of the tools if you try them out.

Note: The tool requires you to put in your API.

Didn't realize the date when I posted... maybe someone else will find this useful, heh.

rwhetsto, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  7. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    Well this isn't a tool for multiple searches at once but this might be usefull for some of you.

I recently discovered this and haven't tried it yet so i can't really say if it's THE tool for the job...but is sure looks like it.
    Extension can be downloaded here

Highlight a word or phrase, right click and choose one of six provided Advanced Google Operators intitle: inurl: intext: site: ext: and filetype:

A Google search page is opened in a new tab, the results contained in the search willcontain the highlighted text inside the chosen Advanced Google Operator.

Advanced Operator Explanations:
    intitle: Results will contain pages with the highlighted text inside the page title.
    inurl: Results will contain pages with the highlighted text inside the page URL.
    intext: Results will contain pages with the highlighted text inside the pages body.
    site: Results will contain pages that match the domain (if any) of the highlighted text.
    ext: Results will contain files that match the extension (if any) of the highlighted text.
    filetpye: *see ext: (also, both ext: and filetype: must be used with another search item.

Special Thanks to Jeffball55

In the next version(s):
    Scroogle/Google option

This tool also looks nice,

Description: A Firefox extension that allows you to right click on any link and bring up two passive sources of information regarding that site: Google's cache, and archive.org's Wayback Machine. The Google cache is a picture-less, connection-less web page. The idea is that information can be gleamed from a URL from these two sources without you ever making a single connection to the site in question.

Available through this link.

Edz, Mar 27, 2006 IP