1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google is friendly with buying Links?

Discussion in 'Google' started by allsecrets, Jan 8, 2007.

1. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You'd think the first thing that would happen would be that text-link-ads.com would be de-indexed. But they seem to be doing fine

frankcow, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  2. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Does TLA buy ads or do they just sell them?

Consider the sites that TLA sell ads on, too. Some of them are HUGE sites. I doubt google is going to deindex many of those sites as they the leaders in their given field.

lorien1973, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  3. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a difference between a link not being counted because google can see it is probably bought and de-indexing a popular site because it sells links. Since textlinksads (or whatever the precise name is) is a popular site that got a lot of blogs commenting on it, I don't think it's likely to be de-indexed any time soon.

kh7, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  4. imnajam

imnajam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To certain extent they don't like but they are still entertaining purchased links.IMO

imnajam, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  5. steveb

steveb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think Google will penalize paid links across the board. For one thing, it's hard to tell which links are paid. Secondly, advertising is the biggest business on the internet.

Instead, I think Google will manually pinpoint known sites or URL's and neutralize the value of the links going out. For example, the PR9 sponsor page at w3.org.

steveb, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  6. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    No 'I think' about it. We have it from the horses mouth (Matt Cutts) Google neutralizes the value of the outgoing links when they know they are being payed for. Sometimes on the whole site, sometimes just one page. There is no mention at all of the site that gives the link being punished if it has otherwise got every reason to rank (read: trusted inlinks).

kh7, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  7. manageyourlinks

manageyourlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    someone go develop a tool now that will show if a page IS passing "weight" or link pop. :)

manageyourlinks, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  8. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wouldn't it be great if google told us which pages do and which don't pass PR / google-trust?

kh7, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  9. manageyourlinks

manageyourlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL they would never do this. heh if they dont want to show us our accurate backlink collection they surely arnt going to show us which pages are worth selling links on :p

10. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    please go to this page. www.submission4u.com and tell me which links are paid.

also www.webotopia.org please tell me which are paid.

also this one www.linkspub.com/blog

then use the formula to detect them on 3 other sites of your choice.

lets see how the results go.

thx

adnan, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  11. manageyourlinks

manageyourlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    "recommended sites"

im guessing those are bought. HOWEVER. If your going to write a general algo script to detect bought links surely this is not going to be a term to look for b/c most legitimate links will probably have something like that around there links that they naturally put there.

"Sponsored" or "Purchased" would be easy words to look for however.

Bottom line is if google were to do something like this IMO to do something like this they would have to look for obv. "selling" words, they wouldnt want to discount "true" links.

If the link selling site is smart they can make all links look natural if they want (whether there bought or not).

and so the debate continues.......

12. shutzu

shutzu Active Member

Best Answers:
    well.. you can buy links, but you must buy them smart and G won't catch you.
    I did a test. added in one day like 200 backlinks to a site, after a few days, the site was in sandbox, so G realized I did something wrong.

if you buy 5 links today, 5 tomorrow and so on you should be safe, this is really undetectable.

shutzu, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  13. thetafferboy83

thetafferboy83 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Apart from checking for obvious things such as site-wide links, non-relevant links, links near "sponsors" etc text, and links that rotate I imagine Google can have a fairly good idea of which links are paid and which are not.

They have billions of websites indexed, think about how much data they have at their disposal. If they find a bunch of links x, which is paid for and a bunch of links "y" which isn't (for sure we're talking here) then they can run these links through an algorithm looking for similarities and things to spot. This data can then be put into an algorithm to spot paid for links.

It's not perfect - and I'm not qualified to say how to do it properly, but I'm sure it could be done. Just cos you can't work it out, doesn't mean it's impossible!

thetafferboy83, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  14. darrens

darrens Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with this ... sites like w3.org and phpbb.com that have massive pr will not lose there page rank but im guessing google will not index the outbound links on these sites.
    After sometime google will compile a large database of high pr sites that will simply not pass any pr weight to outbound links.
    I also agree that sites that use advertising networks like text-links.com will also be part of this database. Im not saying they will lose there pr or serps positions but will give less or no weight on out bound links.
    But this will take time to build a database like this ... maybe years ... or maybe they started in 2004 and 2007 is the year it kicks in ???

darrens, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  15. kidder

kidder Peon

Best Answers:
    They can't come out and say "hey boys go your hardest" now can they?
    They have to tell us we will get a spanking if we do it but I am pretty sure they are looking for the more blatant cases. If you keep your head and don't do anything silly then you should not raise any flags. What did TLA just sell for?

kidder, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  16. allsecrets

allsecrets Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Thanks for all your cooperation., Great thought. Thanks

allsecrets, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  17. thetafferboy83

thetafferboy83 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Matt Cutts answers:

“But can’t you just not count the bad links? On the dailycal.org, I see the words ‘Sponsored Resources’. Can’t search engines detect paid links?” Yes, Google has a variety of algorithmic methods of detecting such links, and they work pretty well.

thetafferboy83, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  18. minnseoelite

minnseoelite Peon

Best Answers:
    Google now does some human editing and that would be about the only way for them to detect a paid link. For instance say a human editor goes to a site and sees a list of links on the site and at the bottom it says "advertise here" they click the link and see it takes you to a page with weekly or monthly prices for links they then know that all links from there are paid links and can adjust the value of a link from that site accordingly.

Of course there are only so many editors and millions of sites so they may catch some sites but probably not enough to ever make a difference.

minnseoelite, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  19. mhmdkhamis

mhmdkhamis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think google hit it now

mhmdkhamis, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  20. minnseoelite

minnseoelite Peon

Best Answers:
    Well according to one of Matt Cutts recent replies to a comment on his blog paid links in themself are not bad it is how you go about gathering them. According to Matt any link whether exhanged, three-way, or paid can be both good and bad depending on how you go about getting them. Reciprocal links are ok but of course should be kept to a minimum, three-way links are again ok just keep it low like with reciprocal links, paid links are also ok as long as they are not purchased just for the PR.

No matter what method you use for getting links every method has a threshold in Google that when crossed can lead to a penalty or de-indexed.

minnseoelite, Jan 12, 2007 IP
    Phynder likes this.