1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"NO referrer" spam - suggestions anyone?

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by freestate, Jan 8, 2007.

I'm getting hit at the rate of about twice a minute on the exact same page, from a massive range of different IP addresses (I'm talking Poland to Brazil to China...) and all of the hits are direct (i.e. no referrers)

An example is shown below (obviously I see something similar for each image hosted on the page as well):

Host: 71.57.47.162
    /	
    Http Code: 200 	
    Date: Jan 08 03:22:48 	
    Http Version: HTTP/1.1 	
    Size in Bytes: 10216
    Referer: -
    Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
    Code (markup):
    This is happening on two of my sites, and whilst it's a way short of having an serious DOS-type effect, it is using my bandwidth and more to the point p*ssing me off!

Does anyone have a sure fire way of dealing with this sort of thing? The problem as I see it is that I don't want to stop legitimate visitors accessing my site via bookmarks/links in emails etc.

So far my not-very-elegant solution has been to do this:

<?php

$UA=$_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"];
    $referrer = getenv( "HTTP_REFERER" );
    $location = $_SERVER["PHP_SELF"];

if($UA == "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)" && empty($referrer)){

echo "Sorry, you are seeing this page because we've been targetted by spammers.  If you're human, click <a href=\"". $location . "\">here</a> for the site.";

exit;

}

?>
    Code (markup):
    The last site this happened to me on, the problem went away a couple of weeks after putting the above code in place. But I don't really want to have to put a 'human check' in place...

Ideas anyone?

freestate, Jan 8, 2007 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I made the same experience
    see
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=215225
    I use for one part the agen method to deny access
    but since multiple agents used, ...
    I now collected all IP data to set up rules for iptables
    in my case almost all fake traffic comes from China - from networks usually empty of any generic human traffic - hence blocking an entire C, B or even A subnet is the most convenient solution for me

hans, Jan 9, 2007 IP
    freestate likes this.