1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to protect streaming media(video)?

Discussion in 'C#' started by cenkbut, Jan 8, 2007.

I am currently developing a tutorial site with streaming videos using windows media services and asp.net media player object. It shows the video ok with the url set to mms of the site.

What I need is to prevent people to download the wmv file through the direct url. How can I implement this? Will http headers, url rewrite help to prevent it?
    I cannot implement password protection as the system needs to be automated, when a user registers and pays for a tutorial, he must be able to watch it without any problems and it's not possible to create windows user account through asp or asp.net due to permissions. it is too risky to give admin rights to aspnet user.

If you have similar xp, plz let me know about your ideas, thoughts on this.
    Many thanks

Cenk

cenkbut, Jan 8, 2007 IP
  2. cenkbut

cenkbut Peon

Best Answers:
    What I tried and it seemed to work is this piece of code in my ReWriting HttpHandler:

if (path.EndsWith(".wmv") && !app.Request.ServerVariables["http_user_agent"].StartsWith("NSPlayer"))
    {
    Server.Transfer("noaccess.jpg");
    }

This works with media player 9.0

Is this a downside of this code? We are not expecting any mac customers for the site but will this work for all windows media players versions and all windows browsers? What about linux, I can add some or statements with all know browser embedded media players.

Is this a good approach, plz share your opinions.
    Thanks a bunch

cenkbut, Jan 8, 2007 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  3. intothemiddle

intothemiddle Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Cenkbut,

If youre sharing content on the web generally its impossible to stop from stealing unless its processed before it hits the server, but then whats produced in the response will still be easy to steal no matter how many right click functions or url parsing methods you implement.

For example, I could just download camtasia, do a screen capture of your video and I have a copy of your video without even needing to know any of the technology behind WMV.

If your contents that important to not have stolen, 1- dont put it on the internet, or 2- charge people enough money to justify the initial costs (so even when they do steal it, you havent lost out).

intothemiddle, Jan 24, 2007 IP