1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Quadrupled my CTR thanks to DP members.

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Critters, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    I'm no longer with AdSense, but it has nothing to do with image coupling.

www.AmCy.org, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  2. adbie

adbie Peon

Best Answers:
    The official word on image placements:
    http://adsense.blogspot.com/2006/12/ad-and-image-placement-policy.html

adbie, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  3. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    m0rtal, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  4. sysop

sysop Peon

Best Answers:
    Yups.... that a good pointer... Everyone should look into it.

sysop, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  5. abixalmon

abixalmon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Remove all images before your account gets banned!! and and your earning get quadrupled in NEGATIVES...

Hurry up dude!!!...

I have already completed removing all images from my websites... (i mean the images blending with ads)

abixalmon, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  6. Sam Streubel

Sam Streubel Member

Best Answers:
    What would PETA say if you drew a whole pig on a spit?

Sam Streubel, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  7. sysop

sysop Peon

Best Answers:
    Already removed it due to compliancy with the Google Adsense TOS.

sysop, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  8. Juan G

Juan G Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, but that part of the new image guidelines (section "Does this mean I can't place ads on pages with images?") seems to be referring to normal site images, for example image galleries, or images that are there to illustrate the page topic. Neither random nor product-specific images, but on-topic, normal site images that can be appropriate there even without ads.

In the case of a possible confusion between those site images and nearby ads because of alignment or other design aspects, they do recommend a full border or a different background color for the ads. That is to say, making the ad unit a separate box, in order to create a clearly visible differentiation between ads and images. As they explain, a small space or a simple line -like in the first image of Support's post- would not be enough for this in many cases, if the images seemed to be part of the ads, which is the important point.

These recent guidelines (called "clarification" by AdSense Support) are stricter than before. However, the basic point is similar on what is not compliant: "... if it's in such a way that it looks like the images are part of the ads." (Previous guidelines). The new guidelines are in the same line ("If your visitors believe that the images and the ads are directly associated...", etc.), and indeed clarify the old guidelines.

There are many threads discussing this, for instance about possible alternatives, more information, etc.

Juan G, Dec 30, 2006 IP
  9. Juan G

Juan G Peon

Best Answers:
    Naturally, what I've said about "on-topic site images" -on the first paragraph of my previous post- is only my interpretation of the new guidelines, where Support just gives the example of a "photography site with a catalog of thumbnail images". So, in cases like this, if thumbnail images can be confused with nearby ads because of alignment, etc., they suggest "Consider using a full border around your ads or changing your ad colors, for example."

Of course, in this case the ad unit is a separate box, with a full border or a different background color -not just a line or a space-, and then it's visually clear that any nearby images -thumbnail or not- aren't part of the ads.

However, it's sometimes subjective when a image seems to be part of an ad or not, and the new guidelines only mention this example of enough distinction between ads and site images. So, for other different cases, when in doubt about a particular design, we as publishers should submit an example to Support, not applying it site-wide until we receive an approval.

By the way, happy new year to all. ;)

Juan G, Dec 31, 2006 IP
  10. mikelombardy

mikelombardy Peon

Best Answers:
    mikelombardy, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  11. Juan G

Juan G Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, we have been discussing those new image guidelines since they appeared on December 18. You may see other posts for working links.

Juan G, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  12. swoop

swoop Active Member

Best Answers:
    swoop, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  13. Juan G

Juan G Peon

Best Answers:
    As said, nothing new. It's the same Support's post of December 18 with the clarification on image guidelines, which we have been discussing on this and other threads.

That wrong URL, with "...":
    http://adsense.blogspot.com/2006/12/ad-and-imag...ement-policy.html

Working link, the same as always:
    http://adsense.blogspot.com/2006/12/ad-and-image-placement-policy.html

Juan G, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  14. nvkrishna

nvkrishna Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great post. We need more such ideas with pictures.

nvkrishna, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  15. rol3y2104

rol3y2104 Peon

Best Answers:
    but is this according to tos ? i saw they changed the tos a bit lately and they dont allow images near the ads..do u think it's according to tos?

rol3y2104, Jan 8, 2007 IP
  16. Juan G

Juan G Peon

Best Answers:
    Please, read at least the last pages of this thread... Many people keep reading only the thread's first post, which lacks an update note.

No, the thread's first post is very outdated. It was initially OK, but not within Support's image guidelines of August 2005 and December 2006, because in that design -without any border, etc., etc.- the images appear as being part of the ads.

No, it's not so simplistic. It depends. The guidelines are not arbitrary; on the contrary, there is a specific reason for everything.

According to the guidelines, images near ads are not allowed without a clear differentiation between ads and nearby content such as site images. That is, "... if it's in such a way that it looks like the images are part of the ads", or in other words, "If your visitors believe that the images and the ads are directly associated...", etc.

Critters, in my opinion, it might be useful to many publishers if you consider a reply to the above message from TOPS30, one of the moderators, regarding your thread's first post. At least, links to Support's image guidelines.

Juan G, Jan 8, 2007 IP
  17. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    this thread has been really motivating threads for all of us.

010081, Jan 8, 2007 IP
  18. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    Long time no post...
    First of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR :D

Secondly, a big thanks to Googles Adsense team for been so clear on the subject, and even giving examples of what not to do. I doubt there can be any confusion over the matter now. If a member of the DP forum could enable me to edit my first post I will gladly do so and update it appropriately so there is no confusion within the adSense community.

Although I was never officially asked to I have removed the images above the ads on my sites, including the oh-so-famous piggy site. A publisher friend of mine who runs quite a large site was asked to do the same via email, he is now experimenting with Yahoo's AdSense clone which does allow images+ads to 'look' related. Personally I am sticking with the big 'G' as they have always worked for me.

He saw, and I expect to see, a drop in CTR of around 2/3. But maybe there will be some increased CPC as a result of this change, who knows :) time will tell.

I hope this thread has enabled many publishers (and G) to earn some extra $$$ and most important of all, encouraged publishers to experiment with ad placement and to never become complacent with the figures.

--
    Critters

Critters, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  19. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Critters welcome back and Happy New Year to you!

I would suggest contact one of the mods directly to request to edit the first post.

This thread has really been the bee's knee's for many of us and I even nominated it for the best DP thread of 2006 ;)

cormac, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  20. Set

Set Peon

Best Answers:
    Long time no see Critters! Nice to see you back.

Images near ads are good thing for CPA schemes, for CPC they might decrease conversion ratios for publishers when used incorrectly, so Google doesn't like it since they have to take care about publishers as well.

Set, Jan 10, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.