1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Oprah is a total inspiration to many around, at least definately to me

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by soaris955, Jan 2, 2007.

Just read on CNN that Oprah has established an academy for HIV AIDS/poverty hit 11-12 year old girls in South Africa.

Read thew news here

Alongside Angelina Jolie, those are the two people I am looking up to and would like to learn from.

I think they do it genuinely not for PR. They've got so much PR by now they don't really need it.

Irina

soaris955, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  2. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I saw this on Oprah a while back. Gosh, that show can be pretty emotional (I'm such a girl lol). But yeah, Oprah is an angel :)

8everything, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  3. ash82

ash82 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh yes, i read this on the web and it is a really nice thing. Honestly, even if celebrities do thsi for PR, it really dosn't matter. We should look at the end results which are good in most cases. She has established an academy for apoverty striken area and specially for girls who are the most neglected ones. as long as its beneficial to humanity, there is no harm in such deeds even if they are for PR. Though i don't think she did this for PR, personally i like her personality a lot, very inspirational.

ash82, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  4. soaris955

soaris955 Guest

Best Answers:
    soaris955, Jan 7, 2007 IP
  5. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe not in the US, but in other places that are more critical about tv commercials and product placements see all the trashy product placement in her shows as a negative factor. And the false happy face she is setting up talking good about those products.... Can only happen and be accepted as good tv entertainment in the US and undeveloped countries with a low ethical tv standard.

login, Jan 7, 2007 IP
  6. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    I've actually never noticed any product placement on her show??? I know she gives stuff away but I don't think you could consider that product placement.

Emperor, Jan 7, 2007 IP
  7. soaris955

soaris955 Guest

Best Answers:
    Tv commercials are a reality in every country now, both developed and developing. Unfortunately, that's how it works everywhere. The only exception (possibly in the whole world) is BBC which runs no ads at all as it is funded by the government and is supposed to bring true educational value to the public (which it does but still can be imporved).

There are tons of trashy shows in the UK (considered a developed country) with trashy commercials / product placements. And these shows may be much worse than Oprah's show.

Just my opinion.

soaris955, Jan 7, 2007 IP
  8. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You did not notice the presentations of shoes, hats, glasses and everything? She is presenting them and saying how good they are. Its a mix between product placement and pure advertising. And the giveaways are, if not product placement, of course advertising.

I dont say that Opera show is trashy, `but the product placement/presentation is trashy.

You have many, many countries with quality tv channels with no commercials; sweden, norway and many more, but my point is not that all ads should be removed.
    I say that US are the same as developing countries when it come to what kind of ethics and advertisement laws. In many developing countries they have not had the chance to restrict it because of corruption and lack of funding. US works the same way, only with blessing from the inhabitants.

login, Jan 7, 2007 IP