1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WebmasterWorld

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Michael, Jun 12, 2005.

WebmasterWorld always was totalitarian. For example anyone who posts a helpful response to a question like "What's a good keyword tracker?" with "Take a look at DigitalPoint's" will immediately have their post censored. Just one example of many.

Now they seem to have excelled themselves in their pursuit of authoritarian control.

I read murugan's post where he quotes a post by "Hanslicht" on WebmasterWorld. I went to look at Hanslicht's original post and it looks like it has been moved from the public area of WebmasterWorld to the private forum.

So it seems that useful original posts in the public area are now being hived of for the use of fee paying members only.

Of course what they choose to do is their problem but this decent into fascistic stupidity can only have one ending.

<rant over>

- Michael

Michael, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Yeah, same thing has happened to me many times, I click on a link to a post and end up with the log in screen for paying members

fryman, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  4. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    Sure but I gave it as just an example of censorious activity.

- Michael

Michael, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  5. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    That's different because the original post was made in the private area.

What I am talking about is a new (to me) phenomena where posts are moved from the public area into the private area.

- Michael

Michael, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    That's what I meant. I am reading a post about how to tweak adsense banner placement, then someone says "oh, that reminds me of this thread where smith describes how he managed to get a 300% in earnings with one small tweak"... you click on the link to that post, and the login page slams in your face

fryman, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  7. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:

I think you missing the point here fryman. The keyword in my post(s) is 'moved'!

- Michael

Michael, Jun 12, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Michael, I think the point may be that this is nothing new. WMW is an annoying forum for several reasons, one of which is that they do move posts they perceive to be more useful into the private members-only sections - but this has been true for some time, AFAIK.

minstrel, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  9. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    DigitalPoint is an excellent resource for people newer to the internet, or SEO, or anything webmaster related, that don't know about DigitalPoint, WebmasterWorld is doing them a huge disservice not letting people discuss or recommend DigitalPoint when it's relevant.

Aside from WW's differences with DP, they should allow members to decide for themselves if DP is a good site or not. They're all adults, for the most part and can make these decisions for themselves. So aside from everything else bad that I've heard about WW, this one thing is enough reason to boycott WebmasterWorld. If they truly cared about their members, they wouldn't be so petty. :mad: :cool:

Colleen, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  10. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    For some time? There may have been examples of previous moves like this but I haven't seen them.

As a subscriber to WMW please show them to me so that when I see Tabke I have some more ammunition.

- Michael

Michael, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I've never been a subscriber to WMW. If you are, and know Tabke personally, why is this even an issue for you? Just ask him nicely to move it back and no doubt he'll get right on it.

12. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I think he was asking for some examples so Tabke understands that it is a bigger issue than just an isolated incidence.

Blogmaster, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Then why not give him some, Toots? I'm sure you must be a paid member over there at WMW :rolleyes:

14. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    Who said I know him personally? I just meet him at conferences once or twice a year.

I have to say Minstrel if there was a prize for useless facetious remarks you would win it hands down.

- Michael

Michael, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  15. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Minstrel, he asked you for examples since you pretended to have some. If you don't just admit it and bow out gracefully while you can.

Blogmaster, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    No, I'm a distant 3rd or 4th.

If you're looking for posts in that category, try Toots.

The point is, Michael, that both the censorship and the post hierarchy at WMW is by now a longstanding feature...

1. why are you surprised by this?
    2. why are you asking for input about it here instead of over there? You did say that you're a member, no?

17. petertdavis

petertdavis Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't really get why people waste time over webmasterworld anyway, when there are better sites like Sitepoint.com and Searchenginewatch.com.

petertdavis, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  18. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    I am surprised your inflated ego allows you to say you are 3rd or 4th at anything :D

I don't have to look for them I see enough of yours on this forum.

That's your point not mine. I didn't make a point, just a rant and subsequently a question for you.

As I said before because I have never seen a post moved from the public area to the private area before.

I should have thought that was obvious, even to you.

- Michael

Michael, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  19. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I've thought about signing up to subscribe to WMW a few times, but no one has really given me a good enough reason to pay. To be honest though, if I was going to receive 'insider' or 'priviledged advice' then it might be worth the sign up fee, so you can understand why they would move such information into the private domain.

DarrenC, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  20. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    You can try it out for a small sum for six months and see if it is useful/interesting/good enough for you to stay subscribed.

It contains very little that is not available in the public area but there is much less 'noise'. Kind of like DP would be without minstrel :)

- Michael

Michael, Jun 12, 2005 IP