1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

People having Supplemental Hell

Discussion in 'Google' started by Dudibob, Jan 3, 2007.

1. MrMean

MrMean Guest

Best Answers:
    MrMean, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  2. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sir if you have a article you wrote which is beneficial to this discussion we welcome it. Don't worry about that. As long as it is beneficial and related we want to read it. If not it is inappropriate and in this case it isn't even yours but thought you'd like to know.

Nope it is a case of the smart get richer. Most of my sites are started from the ground up as a normal site would without any help from links from my other sites or paid links. I do buy links but usually for my established sites. So basically anyone with the SEO knowledge I have(not boasting) could do anything I have done and maybe more. Who knows.

visio, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  3. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I might have to disagree with that, sometimes duplicate content shows up as supplemental, I have a bunch of amazon stores like that, 100% duplicate content, all supplemental

When you guys say play with the meta tags, what if you have added no meta tags?

I stopped adding them on most my sites possibly years ago,

ferret77, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  4. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are a few different reasons pages end up in supplementals indeed, again the issue is not how to get them out as I am of the belief in 85% of the DCs this won't happen.

The onus then is to do the most you can to get traffic to the sites in other methods.

I would say ferrret if you run with no tags you would need a one way link campaign with your keywords as the anchor text from very relevant websites and with PR.

Paypal ranked up top for credit card and never had the words in the backside coding or frontside content.

The problem with this is if the algo weighting changes and title & description tags are given more weight then the website goes down the tubes at times.

Different niches & categories will have mileage that varies.

Whats best is to solve as many parts of the algorithm you can and let Google sort it out.

That is what many seem to miss with SEO ....there is more than one way to ruin a competitors day. :D

Sem-Advance, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  5. MrX

MrX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good info...

MrX, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  6. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the compliment

And if youre in SoCal right now, then you get up even earlier than I do..

Holy &(*&# thats early.

Sem-Advance, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  7. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's four things that I think are key to getting out of the Supplemental Index apart from unique content - meta tags etc.

1. New unique content is added regularly and the index page is updated regularly.

2. Have lots of natural links within your content paragraphs that deep link to other pages in your site (like wikipedia)

3. Have an external reference link in your content but have it at the bottom (like wikipedia)

4. Links from non-supplemental pages that are updated regularly with good PR are important. (Crucial)

Hon Daddy Dad, Jan 6, 2007 IP
  8. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh yeah the links from non-supplemental pages that are updated regularly with good PR need to be natural links within the content paragraphs from the keywords.

This pretty much means you need someone in Google's A-Crowd websites to be linking to you.

Hon Daddy Dad, Jan 6, 2007 IP
  9. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    it's amazing..NO day goes by where i dont learn anything new on DP.

Eg. i have a HARD time since i use a premade affiliate store s/w....and now i read that the same header/footer on zillions of pages (amazon !!!) is BAD.

So i deleted my disclaimer from all my sites as well as my header...those would show up on EACH page, each product...the same header and footer.

I have SOME flexibility....so i modifed a lot on my sites already (as good as i can) to prevent the SAME phrases to appear over and over....mind you an amazon storefront spidered can have 300.000 pages (or was it 3 million ?).

I also modified stuff in AoM so my page titles now only show the product description....the default was to show the site name AND the slogan AND the description...on 300.000 product pages.

Never stops amazing me how i can optimize pages just by spending a few minutes on DP :)

However....sometimes, especially with premade site-builders/storefronts.....the problem is as follwing:

I added an RSS or two on some of my sites....NOW this feed shows up on ALL pages since i dont have an option otherwise.
    EITHER i include an RSS feed...then it shows CONTENT...but then the same content is spread throughout the whole store.

And site builders like..say xsite pro....they all use templates and headers/footers and they repeat themselves. I never saw that as a problem.....but you guys say so.....

GeorgR., Jan 6, 2007 IP
  10. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    I looked at this tonight and also asked the question of exactly where do you place the robots disallows in Wordpress? Anyone know this?

Col :)

Cheap SEO Services, Jan 6, 2007 IP
  11. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    you put in in your home dir on the server your site is running. Maybe WP has an option to do it within WP (i dont know WP)..i only know that this file robots.txt goes on the server. You can do that manually/upload it.

GeorgR., Jan 6, 2007 IP
  12. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    In the root directory of your server same as with any website.

See a blog is a web log which is what web pages are as well. I wrote about this a couple of years ago, and got in a huge fight with Scrivins, over dissing blogs..:D

Heres how you might want to set it up for your blog,

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /trackback
    Disallow: /comments
    Disallow: /stats
    Disallow: /app
    Disallow: /feed/$
    Disallow: /feed/rss/$

User-agent: Active Cache Request
    Disallow: *
    Peace

EDIT: I had remembered reading MrMeans (Mayneedbrandinghelp) post on robots.txt and his referal to the blog with supplementals issues... so I took a part of the robots.txt presented there... and added it to the one I have so this should work nicely for everyone.

Sem-Advance, Jan 6, 2007 IP
  13. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:

Since this isn't your blog I don't know if you can answer this or not :D

Why would we not want to block all bots from the same files as googlebot, if it could hurt search rankings??

14. wrkalot

wrkalot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a site and I can't figure out the supp problem. It was born in Oct 2002, eComm, all original content, updated almost on a daily basis, unique metas, etc... Tons of links (one way and recip).

It's slowly dropping out in G but is doing well in Y and MSN. I'm baffled, nothing I have done over the last few months has worked.

wrkalot, Jan 6, 2007 IP
  15. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Well if its mrfuton site part of the reason you may be having issues is your head tags seem to be spammed out.

You should only have one occurance of the word in each of the above tags.

For instance this would be better.

Meta Description: Offers Futons Frames Mattresses Covers Platform and Waterbeds Throughout Maryland Washington DC Virginia Order Today!

No need for commas, periods or any other stop words other than "and"

Hope it helps

16. wrkalot

wrkalot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice but it's a different site. I will implement your suggestions this very second! Thanks :)

wrkalot, Jan 6, 2007 IP
  17. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    As noted in PM fix both issues and you should see even further results or both sites....just give things sometime. Glad to help and good luck :)

18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I have come to the conclusion that supplementals are the result of Google just not having enough space to list everything.

Mia, Jan 6, 2007 IP
  19. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Googles has by some estimated 500,000 servers at work worldwide. More than enough storage capacity.

What the supplementals simply are, can be seen as where they hold pages which are unlikely to be returned for the average users search query. There has always been two indexes with Google.

At one time they were called main and forward. The main index is where all pages were stored (supplemental) the forward is where the likely upper results pages are stored. (non supplemental results)

In order for Google to return results in milliseconds this is how it is done, this is how they can achieve the goal.

If Google had to spin threw the billions of pages currently it has indexed to find a relevant match to your search query you would be waiting a while for the results to be returned.

It also appears you can wash supplementals out of only some of the datacenters but not all of them. This is also why it seems supplementals are just storage servers for the occassional non average user search query should they need to fall back into the main index.

And it is a shame so many webmasters are caught up in trying to pull out of them.

I do understand if the whole site tanked though, however its usually another issue that got the site there.

20. kidder

kidder Peon

Best Answers:
    I think as far as SEO goes we are all learning and anyone who claims to know it all is sniffing their own farts. Things change weekly this does not mean you don't know SEO it just means your a bit out of touch.

kidder, Jan 6, 2007 IP