1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Drop down menus and Adsense ... How can I ignore ??

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by robster, Jan 5, 2007.

I have a drop down menu that lists over 150 universities for student housing on my website... And I want to make sure adsense doesnt use those to reflect the relevance of my site regarding keywords.

The apartments/rentals/housing ads can make over $2 per ad in many cases. However, I am only getting about 10-20 cents per click on my site, and every once in a while I get someone clicking on one of these expensive ads.

I think the word "university" is killing my ppc, and want to get the site to show the general "apartments" and "rentals" keywords rather than "southern north dakota state housing" ads.

Has anyone been able to do this before, and if so, how can I go about this. I am looking the most reliable source possible for information, or an individual who would be willing to accept payment upon successful changes seen on the site.

Thanks so much for your help in advance!!

robster, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  2. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    KC TAN, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  3. robster

robster Peon

Best Answers:
    Does it really work though? I tried it once and saw zero change.

Also, do they target site wide, or for individual pages?

robster, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  4. Pietercornelis

Pietercornelis Guest

Best Answers:
    Yep! It works. You have to apply it to each individual page separately. Make sure to take out every section, and make sure you give it some time, before the bots visit your site, and the ads are fully targeted.

Pietercornelis, Jan 5, 2007 IP
    robster likes this.
  5. Garve

Garve Peon

Best Answers:
    You could use graphics instead of text on the drop-down menu, although with 160 items that would take a lot of work.

Another option would be to create the menu using an external javascript - this would never be read by Google, but would have the drawback of not working for a small percentage of users with javascript switched off. See an example at http://www.milonic.com/

However, you need to be careful - by removing these text items from your page, you may fine-tune the ads which are showing, but you may also reduce the number of visitors you receive from search engines, and might therefore have an overall reduction in the money you make.

Garve, Jan 5, 2007 IP
    robster likes this.
  6. robster

robster Peon

Best Answers:
    Last question then,

If you can ignore sections, but you can also ask the bots to target sections, is using one better than the other, and do you ignore the whole page, and then put a target comment nested within the ignore comment??

What are some things you all have done that seems to make a big difference?

Thanks,
    Rob

robster, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  7. deedeedum

deedeedum Peon

Best Answers:
    yea, using graphics instead would help a lot

deedeedum, Jan 5, 2007 IP