1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Moving from blogger beta to WP, will it affect PR and linking?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by The_FoX, Dec 30, 2006.

I would like to move my Blogger beta blog to a new domain, got a script that will move the entire posts with comments and images to wordpress - There are a few inbound links to my blog at the moment. I was wondering how would this be affected when changing to a new domain? Would i have to start linking right from the scratch, or is there a way to keep/save all that's been earned untill now.

The_FoX, Dec 30, 2006 IP
  2. nicknick

nicknick Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're hosting your own domain you can do a 301 redirect. If you're on the free Google URLs, I can't think of an easy way to keep your PR.

Maybe someone else can give you a better tip here.

nicknick, Dec 30, 2006 IP
  3. The_FoX

The_FoX Peon

Best Answers:
    Nick, yes im planning to move to a new domain with wordpress installed - jst worried cos all the links ive manged to get is pointed to the blogger blog(it aint got no PR yet :D), so can some one tell me if this is a right time to move or not?

if yes, will redirecting help?

The_FoX, Dec 31, 2006 IP
  4. nicknick

nicknick Peon

Best Answers:
    301 redirects will move all your links to the new site and it's a good way to do it if it can be done on your blog.

Better to get it done sooner than later if you're planning to move. If you wait, it will just mean more links lost.

nicknick, Jan 1, 2007 IP
  5. stupidfly

stupidfly Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's an idea...

If you have a stats program, you likely know where those links are coming from. Try to get those links changed. If it is in someone else's blog post, e-mail them and ask if they will change the url for you.

stupidfly, Jan 1, 2007 IP
  6. The_FoX

The_FoX Peon

Best Answers:
    good idea stupid fly, jus because my blog is pretty new only a few links from other sites, so makes sense asking them to change.

How about the google hits? those give me a feeling that moving may destroy the traffic.

The_FoX, Jan 1, 2007 IP
  7. stupidfly

stupidfly Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you are out of luck with Google. Sorry.

stupidfly, Jan 1, 2007 IP
  8. surfaddict

surfaddict Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think since you're not get backlink, pr..etc yet..better you move your site to hosted one. And redirect it to your new site. My friend's blog already got a high PR, then suddenly he want to move it to hosted blog. He need to start it again, but don't worry as long as you redirect to new blog, your visitor will still able to find your site.

surfaddict, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  9. RonnieT

RonnieT Peon

Best Answers:
    Couldn't you leave the Blogger blog up but put plenty of links in its posts to your new location? So if your visitors landed on a page, no matter what page, they'd at least get one link, somewhere, saying 'hey, i've moved to here, change your bookmark!'

RonnieT, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  10. nicknick

nicknick Peon

Best Answers:
    If he did that, he'd loose all the traffic he's currently getting. But it's a good alternative if you can't do 301 redirects. Whatever you do, do it soon.

nicknick, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  11. The_FoX

The_FoX Peon

Best Answers:
    hey guys this is now sorted. with googles custom domain option now available - ive moved to my new domain without losing the google juice.
    ;) thanks for all your replies.

The_FoX, Jan 9, 2007 IP