1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you cherish old friends?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by soaris955, Jan 3, 2007.

Interesting that I was thinking about that recently.

I moved away from the place I was born and grew up in, ages ago. It's been both good and bad times for me but generally I feel "at home" again where I am now.

Every New Year I receive congratulation notes from my friends from around the world - either as greeting cards, phone calls or text messages. The people that I have been friends with for years and even decades now.

I was just thinking how lucky I was to have all of them though they all now live in different parts of the world. It means the connections are real, if we managed to stay in touch, support each other in difficult times and share each other's great moments.

Really the modern technology has made it possible for us to keep in touch virtually every minute - at a stroke of a keyboard key. Isn't that fantastic!

Maybe every now and then we can take a moment out of our busy lives to appreciate the people who've been around us throughout our lives.

And just say to them - thank you for being who you are and being always there, I do appreciate our friendship ...

Irina

soaris955, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  2. sxg

sxg Peon

Best Answers:
    It's pretty cool that you are able to stay in touch with your old friends. I wish I was like that... I have a very hard time keeping up w/ everyone. I usually keep in touch for about five years and over time, slowly lose touch with old friends.

sxg, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  3. drewbe121212

drewbe121212 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah; myself personally alot of my highschool friends and I have gone our different ways throughout life. Some have moved far away, others just have stopped talking too. Some things are just meant to be I guess...

drewbe121212, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  4. MattKNC

MattKNC Peon

Best Answers:
    I have met so many people down through the years and I must say that it is virtually impossible to keep up with everyone despite internet technology.

I did, however, hear from a business associate who I've known for more than 10 years this past week so that brought back a flood of positive memories with that one action.

MattKNC, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  5. talkwebz

talkwebz Banned

Best Answers:
    Ya and it makes me sad thinking about them
    :(
    :D Happy when i see them

talkwebz, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  6. drewbe121212

Best Answers:
    Yeah same here. Never a pleasent thing. It is nice when they do come around or I go out to them though, eh?

7. Computerized

Computerized Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, its really sad to leave a city and leave all your friends behind. I just relocated to Windsor from Vancouver and had to say goodbye to a ton of great friends. They were the best friends I ever had, and I doubt Ill ever meet anyone similar to them again. I wish I could go back, but that would mean leaving more friends behind. At least Im still able to keep in touch via MSN though.

Computerized, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  8. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I learned in 2006 that friendships mean little in the long run. I was basically burned by three so called friends..........people I had known for a long time.

Friends come and go, the only thing that matters is business partnerships. Business partnerships can help you make more money, and that is more important.

tesla, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  9. soaris955

soaris955 Guest

Best Answers:
    You really don't mean that do you?

People who've let you down have probably never been your friends in the first place.

I think friendship is a mutal thing. We need "to give and receive" in a way. We cannot hope to have real friends without this. I don't know the details of your breakup but I do hope you'll change you mind.

Genuinely can I try to be your friend? I'd be happy to get to know you :).

I cannot imagine myself without my friends - new and old really. That is one of the few things that matter in the long run. Another thing that matters to me is my family - direct and extended. I have got other causes that matter deeply to me but I am not going into them now.

Irina

soaris955, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  10. MattKNC

MattKNC Peon

Best Answers:
    "Friends" who burn you are not true friends. A true friend will accept you as you are and treat you with respect. You know that you have a true friend when he or she stands with you no matter what. False friends flee.

MattKNC, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  11. drewbe121212

Best Answers:
    Exactly. This is why I have different levels of friends. I classify each one of them

My real friends - ones I can count on; ask for things; and give things in return.

Hangout friends/aquaintances - ones who I may be able to count on, or maybe not. Its never a gurentee'd thing. I usually just hang out with them from time to time when I am bored; and them probobly the same. There is not really any bonding in it; it is like a mutal "we are aquaintances" thing.

Naturally, I have far more aquaintances then "real friends".

12. KeithLDick

KeithLDick Peon

Best Answers:
    I have friends all over the United States that I met from my 10 years on the road in a Rock & Roll Band and I try to keep up with at least 10 of them... I usually try to give them all a phone call during the holidays or an email once in a while...

KeithLDick, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  13. BusinessForums.com

BusinessForums.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I remember when I was in college, I took a course called Gender and Communications and one thing I remember I learnt was that women are more likely to have the same friends longer than men. For example when a couple relocates to another place, the woman tend to keep keep in contact with her old friends while the man just makes new friends at the new place.

I don't know if thats always true though. I keep in touch with a lot of my old friends even though we are thousands of miles away from each other. We e-mail each other from time to time and update each other on our lives. Technology has really played an important role for connecting with others. Without technology, I would probably have lesser friends than I have today.

BusinessForums.com, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  14. ash82

ash82 Peon

Best Answers:
    Luckily, i have also been able to keep in touch with most of my friends even from grade 1 and 2. Its really nice to have lots of friends and everyone of them is pecial ina different way. Every one has something to contribute to your lufe and to your happiness. Mobiles, internet and all thsi technology has really made it possible to be in touch even in a busy routine.

ash82, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  15. Dude111

Dude111 Guest

Best Answers:
    I cherish all the friends i have (Cause i dont have many :()

Dude111, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  16. pollacks

pollacks Peon

Best Answers:
    I cherish my friends especially those who taught me silly things. :D

pollacks, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  17. WestWing999

WestWing999 Peon

Best Answers:
    Its a challenge to stay in touch with old friends but very rewarding.

WestWing999, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  18. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    For those of you who don't keep in touch with close friends I encourage you to do so.

I lost touch with a friend who I grew up with and hadn't spoken to him in over 10 years before I found out that he had life threatening cancer...I was fortunate enough to have called him and emailed him a few times but he recently passed away and I can't help thinking I should have called him more!

timsdd, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  19. grazie_web

grazie_web Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with you sxg... I love to have a lot of friends but what i treasure most is the real meaning of friendship... :)

grazie_web, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  20. soaris955

soaris955 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey everyone,
    Just to re-iterate my opinion that old friends are one of the best things in life. Remember to remember them and treasure them like nothing else. And remember to cut some time out of your busy lives to spend it with people you love.
    Over time I realise this adage more and more ...

soaris955, Jan 13, 2007 IP