1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hi to everyone - new member based in Scotland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by soaris955, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hello everyone,

I think this is a fantastic forum and I would like to spend more time getting to know its members.

Just a couple of words to introduce myself.

I am married and have a 1-year old son. I live with my family in Scotland, UK.

I am Russian by ethnic origin. I was born and grew up in Turkmenistan (part of the former Soviet Union and now an independent country).

Having studied English and foreign literature as my majors at a university in Turkmenistan have certainly helped set my mind on exploring the wider world around. International affairs in general – political, economic and cultural – have been one of my main interests in life since then.

Since the collapse of the Soviet Union, 15 newly independent countries had faced a challenge of reforming their economic systems and integrating them effectively into the world trade order. As the old economic ties had been broken, the new ones had proven quite hard to establish.

The beginning of the 90s had also been the time of my personal transformation. I knew I wanted to be much more than just a passive observer to the changes taking place around me. In the middle of the 90s I started working for a foreign investment agency in Turkmenistan that dealt with foreign companies wishing to invest their capital into the country. This had been a truly unique experience for me which to a certain extent launched a new learning stage in my life leading me to where I am now.

In 1999 I won a Chevening scholarship from the British Council, which gave me a chance to come and study international banking and finance at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh where I received my masters’ degree in 2000. Following that I worked for Deutsche Bank, one of the leading international investment banks, both in Edinburgh and London for 1.5 years.

2002 was the real turning point in my life. I knew I wanted to have my own business but was not quite sure what specifically it should be. I had some free time to take a pause and think about what to do in the future. I knew there was so much poverty and trouble in the world and so many people in developing countries lacked even basic conditions for honourable human living, and no employment opportunities that are taken for granted in richer countries. I knew I wanted to do something to help at least some of such people lift themselves out of their difficult situations and improve their quality of life.

This has led me to establish my small business – Anchor Network.

Anchor is an ancient symbol of hope. So I thought it to be a very appropriate name for what I am trying to achieve via this business – that is, to give hope for some socially vulnerable people around the world to have sustainable employment opportunities that will support them and their families. The main aim of Anchor Network is to promote fair trade handicrafts in Britain and Europe.

Recently I started thinking of promoting fair trade coffee using internet marketing techniques. This has led me to do some research into a number of networks / forums where I could learn / share my experience with others etc.

That is how I have found the DP forum and am happy to be part of it.

I am planning to join the Co-op Ad Network very soon as well.

Really looking forward to meeting new people / making interesting contacts here.

Irina Ignatova

soaris955, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  2. MattKNC

MattKNC Peon

Best Answers:
    Welcome, Irina. You are very well spoken and have an excellent grasp of the English language. It is always nice to hear about the successes of the people who once comprised the former Soviet Union especially those who put a positive face on things even in the midst of difficult circumstances.

Enjoy Digital Point, a truly global community!

MattKNC, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  3. soaris955

soaris955 Guest

Best Answers:
    Matt thank you very much for your welcome. I really look forward to getting to know other members and learning how this forum functions :).
    Irina

4. MattKNC

MattKNC Peon

Best Answers:
    Check the FAQs out for a start and lurk all over the place. It is a free and open site, meaning that people can speak their minds without fear of retribution.

MattKNC, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  5. kittyluver

kittyluver Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Irina- Hearty welcome to you to the place of "millions of info". Here you will forget yourself and may become continuous member. Please read sticky before posting any querries.... WISH YOU A HAPPY NEW YEAR-2007

kittyluver, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  6. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Welcome, Irina - congratulations to you and your country and I wish the best to you in the years ahead. My wife's family is entirely Estonian, so I know something of the challenges. Your country is lucky to have someone with as much going on as you do.

Incidentally, oddly enough, I studied malting and brewing through Heriot-Watt. Great university, and great town.

northpointaiki, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  7. soaris955

soaris955 Guest

Best Answers:

Yes Heriot-Watt Uni is very good and Edinburgh is probably one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Thanks for your comments!

PS. By the way Turkmenistan was all over the news just a week ago or so when its president of 21 years died. You must have heard about that as well.

8. netbot

netbot Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi soaris955.
    Welcome to dp.
    Be comfortable :)

netbot, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  9. soaris955

soaris955 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi netbot, thank you for your welcome. I am supposed to be "solaris955". But I misspelt the username when I was registering so I will have to be "soaris955" for a wee while before asking the mods for the favour of changing it to "solaris" :).
    Irina

10. ecolatur

ecolatur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    welcome to forum solaris955.glad to see here.
    wish you very happy new year.wat is your son's name?

Abhilash.

ecolatur, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  11. soaris955

soaris955 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi name is Adam :)

soaris955, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  12. soaris955

soaris955 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi Mabel! Thanks for your welcome. Adam is my son's name :).

My name is Irina ;).

13. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Irina! Welcome to the forums :)

P.S: Wow, you've accomplished a lot so far!! I wish you the best!

8everything, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  14. talkwebz

talkwebz Banned

Best Answers:
    Welcome from what i seen you are a very kind person.
    *green rep*

talkwebz, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  15. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome to DP, Adam. Have a great time here :)

KC TAN, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  16. soaris955

soaris955 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi 8everything, talkwebz and KC TAN! Thank you very much for welcoming me here. I really look forward to communicating with everyone :).

Irina

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.