1. Quickly find sites and domains for sale in the marketplace based on criteria that interests you.

Enter Marketplace
  2. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain - WestCoastSurfing.com

Discussion in 'Domains' started by toddieg, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    hi everyone,

i have the domain name westcoastsurfing.com for sale. i'm willing to listen to any reasonable offers. please email me at if you are interested.

thanks.

toddieg, Apr 8, 2004 IP
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  2. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi Toddieg,

I find this interesting to find you trying to sell a domain here when we are both criticizing somebody else for trying to sell a site on the IMR forum.

Can you tell me or us why you think that domain name has any value beyond the $14.95 per year or less that it would take to register it?

I don't see any super popular or competitive keyword encapsulated within that name. I suppose you think the "surfing" part would be thought of as surf board surfing -- big waves and all that stuff. But it could also be thought of as "surfing the net". A totally different connotation.

But regardless of what "surfing" means, so what? People don't type domains into browser address bars. People look things up in the search engines. I wouldn't even give you the balance of this year's registration fee to take it off your hands. The name and association is of no interest to me.

I'd be fascinated to know if anybody else sees any value in this domain.

compar, Apr 8, 2004 IP
  3. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    No value what-so-ever.

I would never buy a domain for anything more than it's registration price.

GuyFromChicago, Apr 8, 2004 IP
  4. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Right on

When we started out in 1999 [last century according to Compar - last millenium as well] "all" the "good" names were taken so we created our own by adding OK and creating a Brand Image not a web site name.

So we only have ever paid the registration fee

Foxy, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  5. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You can do a million things to a domain name to get what you're after.

For example; www.bestwestcoastsurfing.com is available. Every variation (.net, .org, etc.) of it is available too.

GuyFromChicago, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  6. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    Man, are you guys brutal...The poor guy is just trying to sell a domain :D !

ViciousSummer, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  7. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Then you buy it an take him out of his misery.

On second thought don't do that it will just encourage him.

Now tell me seriously Vicious can you see any value whatsoever in that domain? Can you imagine why he would think anyone would want to buy it?

compar, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  8. relaxzoolander

relaxzoolander Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    compar:
    i really think the abuse is inappropriate.
    this is not an 'opinion' section of the forum.
    this is not a 'review' section of the forum.
    its called buy, sell or trade.
    the guy has the right to post anything legitimate that he wants to.
    he didnt ask for opinions or comments.
    he shouldnt expect commentary about the selection of his item.
    do you stand out in front of the local walmart and harass the store about stuff that they are trying to sell?
    ...because i am sure there are a lot more things there that really deserve this kind of badgering.
    seriously....step off.

relaxzoolander, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  9. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    I would say that to most people, no more value then any other domain, BUT it doesn't hurt to try to sell something your not using (He is asking for ANY offers). I have a couple of domains laying around DigitalPoint's server that I decided not to use, I should get off my bootie and sell THOSE...hehe.

Also, for many business owners, it's not just the usefulness of the domain, we just want our name for kicks. For example: www.vicious.com , I would pay a decent dollar for (especially since it's not even being used), and 99.9% of other people wouldn't want it at all.

I know I had a conclusion around here somewhere....oh yes...Here it is: If I owned a surf shop/business called "West Coast Surfing", I would definately make an offer
    :D ! Also would make a cool name if you had a site about surfing & surf spots on the west coast.

10. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    I DO! Seriously, that is normally the first thing I do when I'm looking for something. I almost always find what I'm looking for when I do this (Guess that depends on what you looking for, though...
    ;) )

11. relaxzoolander

relaxzoolander Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    yes...i also know a lot of people who treat the browser address bar like its a search box or something...but that really doesnt make a difference here.
    a domain name is worth as much as someone wants to pay for it.
    domain name reselling is a big business.

relaxzoolander, Apr 9, 2004 IP
  12. toddieg

toddieg Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    hi all,

i didn't realize there was a discussion involved with this until just now.

i hear you compar, i didn't mean to 'offend' you by making my post...in fact, we usually agree on most things in other forums (like the PR 5 site for sale in IMR) ....

it's true... i'm not expecting much from trying to sell this domain name (and i'm definitely not boasting it has a PR5 or traffic), but I just wanted to see if anyone wanted to make me an offer. I'm a native san diegan and a die-hard surfer, so the name naturally means a LOT more to me than it does to you, or probably anyone reading these threads. i haven't had time to develop the site, and got lucky enough to snag it the day it expired ... i'm sure i'll end up developing it soon, although i thought i'd put it on the market for a couple weeks.

compar your right....if i think it's such a cash cow, why not milk it myself? :D

toddieg, Apr 11, 2004 IP
  13. OnSpec

OnSpec Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I agree. Compar, get off the friggin' soap box. It's a SALES forum. If the guy wants to sell, he doesn't need to be badgered by someone who posts just to see his name in lights. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, just like eveyone else, but there are other places for that.

And just to make it interesting, I too have domains for sale. I'll start by taking offers by PM on:

iMobility.com

NRA.us

(Save your trademark comments. It's been thoroughly reasearched and the domain has not been offered for sale to any current competitive users.)

OnSpec, Apr 17, 2004 IP
  14. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    You'd be surprised how many native San Diegan surfers are reading these threads...Okay maybe there are only two of us, but I bet that's double what you thought...
    :D
    p.s. Keep an eye out for the HustlerPanties.com stickers I put up in PB last night.

ViciousSummer, Apr 17, 2004 IP
  15. toddieg

toddieg Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    vicious,

nice..i will...where did u put em?

-toddie G

toddieg, Apr 17, 2004 IP
  16. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    So toddieg, how is the sale going? Had any offers yet?

I'm not being sarcastic. I'm really interested in knowing. Obviously from my early posts I thought you were wasting your time chasing domain names and trying to resell them.

One time I had several domain names, that I had no further use for, but which I thought were very interesting and I put them up for sale on eBay. I never even got a single bid.

But I'm always open to learn, and since two or three of the other members have berated me so roundly for my original post in this thread and assured me that selling domain names is such a hot business, I'm prepared to learn from your experience.

So how is it going dude?

compar, Apr 17, 2004 IP
  17. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Not that this will really matter to the discussion, but I sold allessays.com on a forum back in the day for $300.00 2 days after buying it for $15.00...

schlottke, Apr 17, 2004 IP
  18. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 2
    Toddie

I've surfed in San Diego & Huntington but you'd be surprised about the appeal of the domain. There's west coast surf outside the USA y'know!

The best surf in the upper North Island of NZ is on the West Coast - heard of Raglan?
    The best surf in Australia is on the West Coast - heard of Margaret River?
    The best surf in Bali is on the West Coast
    The best surf in England is on the West Coast - Newquay, red river etc

France undoubtedly, but the travel guide kinda slows up after that.

:)

Sarah

sarahk, Apr 17, 2004 IP
  19. toddieg

toddieg Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    compar,

i haven't really pushed it too hard. only in a couple of these forums, and at namepros.com. i also tried on ebay with no success (i started the bidding at $400 though)

trying to sell it online might not be the best bet. i've actually decided to hang on to it for the time being. i'm thinking of developing it into a west coast surfing photo gallery ...

but to answer your question, i've had no success...i've personally never made a sale, but have friends who are really into it. one day when i was bored i checked deleteddomains.com and stumbled upon westcoastsurfing.com and figured it was definitely worth the 7.95... (adsense alone will generate it back in days)

-Todd

PS. Sarah, i've surfed in biarritz(sp?) France last summer...it was awesome. :)

toddieg, Apr 17, 2004 IP
  20. tsptom

tsptom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I buy and sell domain names often. I 've made more money on them than with my website. Of course my site is only 3 months old and most of the good money to be made in domain names was made during the dot com bubble. I have some good stories about them too but I'll tell you a one from about two weeks ago.

I saw a guy on ebay selling a one word name with a "buy it now" price of $120. It was frisbies.com. The auction had just come out so I did a quick google search of "frisbie" and saw several thousand hits. I used the buy it now and once I did buy it the instructions said you had to send payment right away or someone else can still outbid you. I thought that was strange but I usually send payment right away anyway.

After I bought it and did a little research I saw my error (It's Frisbee not Frisbie, as you may have figured out). The name was transferred to me almost immediately so I just put it back out on ebay with a buy it now of $200. It sold in about 2 hours. :)

tsptom, Apr 18, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.