1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's the secret to NOT losing money with AdWords?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Tearabite, Dec 27, 2006.

1. beejeebers

beejeebers Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's his own ebook. He's not going to give away any of the "secrets".

I'll give them away though. The key to success with adwords is test, prune, test, prune, test, prune and always try to increase your ctr and improve your ad copy. Plus never dump 2,000 words into an adgroup. Always go with targetted adgroups so your ad copy is relevant.

beejeebers, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  2. dog_24

dog_24 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, that's pretty much it. (=

dog_24, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  3. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, improve your quality score. There is a ton of great FREE info that explains how that can be accomplished.

Thanks for showing that you haven't read the book you're trying to sell.

GuyFromChicago, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  4. dog_24

dog_24 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, I actually made the book, sorry...

dog_24, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  5. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Ok, so back to the original question; what does it offer that can't be found in the AdWords Learning Center?

I'm not opposed to buying books for learning purposes - I just want to hear from you (the author) what is in your book that can't be found in the learning center? I've seen so many "how to use AdWords" books that are nothing more than a poor rewrite of the learning center.

The OP was looking for tips and or inspiration, not sales pitches.

6. dog_24

dog_24 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I spent a lot of time creating my book, and I believe that there is quality, there is value and I think that you're spending too much time wondering about someone's business. My book is my business, and if you don't like something why don't you write a pm? This is becoming way off the topic.

The guy asked for a suggestion and I pointed he can find it in my book.

P.S My ebook is not just about Adwords.

Thank You.

dog_24, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  7. clenard

clenard Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm surprised that everyone is saying not to buy books but go read AdWords Learning Center lol

I'm not saying that books are going to be better information but the fact of the matter is -- Google is not going to give you as much info as other Advertisers who write books on the subject is. It's common sense... half of the people who work for Google AdWords barely know what Broad matching is...this is why they're desperately seeking new employees who DO know these things.

But don't be fooled into believing that Google is going to give any secrets to getting lower bids compared to someone who's looking to get a REPUTATION on becoming an "expert". ;-)

Google = makes more money when you pay more money
    AdWords authors = make more money when you trust them

As for the OT:

Stay away from Contextual advertising if you feel that you're losing money. Try strictly going on the Search Results and test and measure your results.

As xfiver stated: use the negative keyword option and see if that might help.

But the BIGGEST thing is -- work on your landing pages. If your landing pages suck but everything else is good -- you're not going to convert well.

HTH

clenard, Dec 29, 2006 IP
    GuyFromChicago likes this.
  8. beejeebers

beejeebers Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep negative keywords are almost as important as your actual keywords, when using broad or phrase match. Also, for the $5 or $10 min bid question, the reason for those high bids is google does not like your landing page and have blacklisted your domain name. The most efficient way to get back to normal is buy a new domain and put up some content to make your landing page be part of a normal site.

beejeebers, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  9. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    You suggested the book in this thread and I simply asked - in a few different ways - why someone should buy your book instead of using the free info that is available. That is a fair and legitimate question that most people who sell a product or service would be more than happy to answer in public. The OP is looking for tips and or inspiration...do you have any?

And Clenard, buying books with good info is fine, everyone I know does it. I always suggest the learning center first - especially when I'm unsure of the person's PPC experience and they've hinted they may have only been using AdWords for a few days. The learning center is by no means a magic success bullet but a solid grasp of the fundementals can and will work wonders for most accounts and campaigns. And good tips regarding the landing page btw, it's what really closes the deal. Keywords don't convert, landing pages do:)

10. clenard

clenard Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I hear ya... all I wanted to make clear was that some situations call for other tools. I know that alot of people can't read boring stuff without giving up too lol so I tend to suggest books over online material like that.

and yeah, too many people overlook the most obvious stuff... it's a shame but hopefully, even if it's one person at a time, we can help people from making those mistakes in forums like this :D

clenard, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  11. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Beejeebers. Test, test and test again.
    I have an ad for the first time. It brings me 1 click for every 1000 impressions.
    To be honest, I was ok with it since "I didn't know..."
    I used the rotating options and try the same ad with one differebnt word and one by placing the same words in a different order.
    One of them brings me 1 click for every 60-70 impressions !!!
    Huge difference as you can see....

Codythebest, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  12. dog_24

dog_24 Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, my ebook shows how to use adwords and make some good and fast money. Now I think that you're going to say - 'Oh, another scam' p=

Thanks.

dog_24, Dec 30, 2006 IP
  13. phree_radical

phree_radical Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you tried making them an offer they can't refuse? :p

I am going to try offering coupons and perhaps a few 100% discounts through Google Ads to help launch my next idea. I'm pretty optimistic about it.

You can build up brand recognition, especially with image ads. It really is important to have recognition--imagine this: a study indicated that users clicked on a company's text link 600% more often after having seen the (image) banner ad.

phree_radical, Dec 30, 2006 IP
  14. chezzy62

chezzy62 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google Adwords is a real puzzle. Am I speaking for myself when I have recieved 770 clicks, spent $50, and recieved 0 conversions? I am running a forum, and I am having trouble getting visitors to sign up. Any suggestions?

chezzy62, Jan 21, 2007 IP
  15. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I ended up starting a new campaign around an Azoogle offer. the keywords i'm using range from $.04-$.20. I set my daily budget to the cost of one conversion , and have yet to break that daily budget. I've gotten a few conversions, so i am actually profitable! Now i'm looking at fine-tuning the ads and keywords.

One difference with this new campaign, other than lower CPC and lower conversion payout, is that i'm using a single landing-page from the advertiser; looks much prettier, but kinda spammier, too..

Tearabite, Jan 21, 2007 IP
  16. dog_24

dog_24 Peon

Best Answers:
    You should have a free gift for a registered user, or something like that. Make them regret if they don't join, simple as that, just make the free gift noticeable on the main page.

dog_24, Jan 21, 2007 IP
  17. bornagaintrader

bornagaintrader Peon

Best Answers:
    test, review, test, review - i've learnt a lot from every failure. The relationship between bids, keywords, creatives and the landing page contains so many possible variables that it takes time split testing various strategies. If you let the sales data be your guide your campaign will continue to improve.

bornagaintrader, Jan 21, 2007 IP
  18. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    A couple of people have touched on the use of negative keywords with AdWords. That IS one of the best ways to target your traffic so that you are not picking up clicks from people who are really interested in unrelated things.

Here is an article about Using Negative Keywords. Because margins are frequently pretty slim for affiliate programs, I generally target 20 or more negative keywords for affiliate ads to prevent ads from showing for unrelated searches. You just cannot afford to have 20 clicks on AdWords ads for every one affiliate sale. My conversions sometimes run as high as 30% using this method.

TechEvangelist, Jan 21, 2007 IP
    Tearabite likes this.
  19. toddo14

toddo14 Banned

Best Answers:
    dog_24,

If the min bid is high often its because your keywords and landing page are tied together well. Make sure that your landing page is 100% relevant to your keywords and the min bid often goes down. But you never really know for sure. Google's algorithms are a complete mystery.

toddo14, Jan 21, 2007 IP
  20. yutube

yutube Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you should study before act. Learn everything you should to know.

yutube, Jan 21, 2007 IP