1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's the secret to NOT losing money with AdWords?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Tearabite, Dec 27, 2006.

Now i'm officially frustrated.. For 3 or 4 days know i've been using adwords to drive traffic to an affiliate page that I have. I've gotten 4 conversions from this page in the last 30 days with a very small amount of organic traffic, but with the same amount of 'targeted' traffic from AdWords in the last 4 days, i've gotten zip..

The page has quite a bit of content and isnt "spammy". it only has a couple of banners, and a couple of text-links - and today I added another prominent banner.

I'm beginning to think that the page just isnt spammy enough, or i'm just doing something totally wrong..

Anyone have any tips, or at least moral support? :(

Tearabite, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  2. chatmasta

chatmasta Peon

Best Answers:
    chatmasta, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  3. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    GuyFromChicago, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  4. tstaut

tstaut Active Member

Best Answers:
    Could be tip or moral support, depending on how you take it, but I blogged on the subject of losing money with a new campaign here:

http://www.analyticsguide.com/my-secret-to-adwords/

Main thing is, learn what works and what doesn't. Now you know what doesn't work. Try a different approach. ;)

tstaut, Dec 27, 2006 IP
    Tearabite likes this.
  5. beejeebers

beejeebers Peon

Best Answers:
    First thing, do not buy that useless ebook. It's a waste of money. It's outdated and desperately needs an update.

Second, test, test and test some more. You will find some golden nuggets for keywords eventually. It could be many things though, could be the landing page, (which should be a landing SITE now) or many other things. Hard to say without knowing what you're doing... :)

beejeebers, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  6. chatmasta

chatmasta Peon

Best Answers:
    That's not an eBook I linked to, it's the hardcover copy and it definitely covers the basics.

chatmasta, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  7. beejeebers

beejeebers Peon

Best Answers:
    Well whatever, packaging the Adwords Learning Center and charging people to read it is not worth it. Everything you need to know you can learn online. That BOOK, is not worth it (and Perry Marshall is not the guru he thinks he is).

Also, if you're trying to sell something like t-shirts, good luck. You have to find things that do not require any credit card and are not readily available.

beejeebers, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  8. KA1

KA1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Best is to try different things & keep monitoring the results. Sometimes even the day of the way week makes a difference. Keep in mind that human behavior varies so much, making it hard to master a method that's perfect.

KA1, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  9. qwerty100

qwerty100 Guest

Best Answers:
    The problem is probably that you are getting too much traffic. Would you have made money if only the 4 people who converted clicked on ads? If so you need to try to figure out how to write your ads and choose keywords that will only appeal to the people who convert, but other people won't click on them. Obviously this is easier said than done, but it is a good line of thinking.

Another tips is to take the amount you've made in any given week and divide it by the number of clicks you paid for. This number is the maximum amount you can bid and still break even. (This works well until you get a chargeback.)

qwerty100, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  10. tstaut

tstaut Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, that's some bad advice. Lots of people out there making lots of money on things that require a credit card. My top-performing campaigns are for products that require a credit card and are readily available.

tstaut, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  11. beejeebers

beejeebers Peon

Best Answers:
    Opinions are like bellybuttons, everyone has one.

Just posting what I know. I've tested everything and know what works. If you're making money with it then good on you. However, if it doesn't require a credit card, you will make more, it's a proven fact. I too make money with things that require a purchase, but the other areas I deal with make about 10 x more.

beejeebers, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  12. xfiver

xfiver Peon

Best Answers:
    Use the 'negative keyword' option in your campaign. This way your ads are more targeted.

For example: if you advertise on mass volume selling t-shirts (like hunderds) than you wouldn't advertise for 'tennis club tshirt prints', because you would only sell 10 or 20 shirts. So use negative keyword 'tennis club', elaborate on that like 'soccer club', 'chess club' etc. Be careful tough! Don't use too much keywords, be very targeted.

xfiver, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  13. dog_24

dog_24 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would recommend the ebook in my sig. It covers everything you should know. :)

dog_24, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  14. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    What does it have that the AdWords Learning Center does not?

GuyFromChicago, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  15. nocookies

nocookies Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

If you are sending traffic from your website to a clickbank or commision junction merchant, have a look at:

http://www.keytrail.com/beta/

This is a beta service that I've recently started which will definitely help you to analyze your sales. It is available free of charge for life to all beta testers.

nocookies, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  16. dog_24

dog_24 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why don't you just find out? (=

dog_24, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  17. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    10 to 1 says you've never even read it, that's why you can't answer a simple question.

I would not pay money to for information that is freely available at the learning center.

GuyFromChicago, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  18. MattKNC

MattKNC Peon

Best Answers:
    Modify your campaigns midstream instead of waiting the full thirty days. If something doesn't work, then adjust accordingly. Also, make sure that the amount you are willing to pay per click gives you at least some chance of visibility.

Finally, post the page here and your DP friends can pay it a visit.

MattKNC, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  19. adacprogramming

adacprogramming Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Another place to get some ideas,
    Pick up a copy of Cosmo, Vouge etc you might want to choose something related to your product). Look at the ads, these are highly competitve ads created by top advertisement companies, who get paid 10's of thousands of dollars to create an ad.

They probably know what they are doing.

Print and web are not that different. What will attract a person on one media will likely attract a person on the other. Biggest difference is the "Call to Action"

Web allows impulse buying, make sure it is easy to figure out what they need to do next, don't make them guess how to buy the product.

That doesn't mean go with the gaudy, flashy, spammy pages many sites use to try to sell. A qualitly page will intice a person to buy, not slap them in the face.

adacprogramming, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  20. dog_24

dog_24 Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you know what to do if your minimum bid is $10 or $5 per click?

dog_24, Dec 29, 2006 IP