1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The ONLY thing Google has ever made a mistake in....

Discussion in 'Google' started by PixelStreamed, Dec 27, 2006.

is letting DMOZ be an influential factor in it's business! Google needs to drop DMOZ like a bad habit and replace it with something in-house. Possibly creating it's own directory. DMOZ has to be one of the most corrupted and worst run directories in the world. Most editors join for the only reason of trying to get their sites or friend's sites accepted into the directory. All you have to do is look through the directory listings and it becomes apparent. For example, they say they don't accept sites with no original content and tons of just affiliate links, but take a few minutes to look through the directory and you find ones that do. In addition you find "doorway" type domains with no affiliate links, and they do have original content but their only purpose is to get listed into DMOZ and then link to the actual site that was intended to benefit from the listing. In addition these doorway type sites are never updated once they get listed and have the 1990's style designs to them. Another reason, DMOZ has had domains waiting to be listed for a long time....I've heard rumors of 2 years, not sure if this is true or not though. On the web two years is like 50 years in real life, things continually change and if you can't keep up then basically you shouldn't have that much influence, especially influence to the biggest Internet company (Google)!

Should I keep giving more examples??? Hopefully someone points one of the high-ups in Google to this post as a little insight. I know they are probably aware of it, and I hope they really are, and are already in the works of doing something about it. But then again it could be something political as to why they haven't dropped DMOZ after many years, because it really is out of the ordinary compared to Google's history of really being on top of things!

PixelStreamed, Dec 27, 2006 IP
    ing likes this.
  2. stock_post

stock_post Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I tried to get a listing in dmoz and never got my sites accepted.

And that is the end of it. The bad part is lot of time spent filling that *sh* forums.

NO use at all.

stock_post, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  3. Svoboda

Svoboda Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree 100%. Tried for 2 years to get into the DMOZ yet I've seen BS blogs and sites in my arena get in without any content without a problem.

Svoboda, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  4. Diddy1

Diddy1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I gotta admit this one is true to a certain extent though. You guys have to understand back then ODP held a considerable amount of trustworthy websites as well as a big chunk of Internet traffic. This is when directories were actually used to search for websites instead of link farms like today. But Google's problem is it's inability to accept that things have changed and it needs to distance itself from DMOZ. Maybe even now Google's preparing to release their own true directory, with the recent trouble DMOZ has been experience this would be anything but a sensible move on Google's behalf.

Thank you

Diddy1, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  5. FireStorM

FireStorM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes i agree , it is very corrupted.

FireStorM, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  6. Landeweerd

Landeweerd Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont really get the point in getting listed in DMOZ, the directory is one of the oldest, and you can see that! Dont they ever update that site? :p

Listing will be good for your pagerank, but i think there are good alternatives.

And I think google has already made to much in house in a short time. Think google has to focus more on their core business.

Landeweerd, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  7. selbourne

selbourne Peon

Best Answers:
    well i did not face any problem in submitting any sites to dmoz....all the sites submitted till date have gone through

selbourne, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  8. casperl

casperl Peon

Best Answers:
    My experience is same with DMOZ.. I dont like it.. And i agree, Google may create a much better directory with a much better structure.

casperl, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  9. contactsonia

contactsonia Active Member

Best Answers:
    More or less, I do agree with you people on this.
    Are there enough people who uses DMOZ or any other directory for a specific things? Or there are mostly people using Google/Yahoo to search for a specific thing(s)?

contactsonia, Dec 28, 2006 IP
    seoindiaweb likes this.
  10. Svoboda

Svoboda Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It may be old, antiquated and all that jazz, but when a newbie searches the Internet for something, he/she is likely to come across it -- STILL.

Svoboda, Dec 28, 2006 IP