1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Those ad unit sizes - smaller will give better revenue?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by darkbreed, Dec 27, 2006.

I was pondering upon the sizes of the ad units.. If I have understood things correctly, google shows the highest paying ads first right? So if I use smaller ad units, such as a vertical banner instead of a full skyscraper, and a rectangle instead of a large rectangle, this means it will show fewer ads, and thus remove low paying ads? So if the CTR is not majorly affected from this I should be able to get a better adsense income.. anyone have experience with this, done some experimantion allready? I just changed my ads like described here, will try see for a couple days how it affects my income and ctr. Also, if users had a tendency to click on lower displayed ads, which means lower paying ones, they now have only the choice to click higher paying ones, guess that can be a good thing.

Oh well, guess I'll see soon how it turns out.

Also, I changed the background colors of the ads some too, to see how that affects the ctr. Anyone here have found a good pallette that works best for white background pages? And do you usually remove the borders or just blend them with the background?

darkbreed, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  2. bhopkins

bhopkins Banned

Best Answers:
    It depends on the audience. Every site is different and the only way to know is to do some checking. On some sites I have background color that is different than the site's and sometime I blend if. It will pay to switch it around while watching your stats by channels and see what works best for you.

bhopkins, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  3. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    I only use the small half banner at the top, between the first article and the rest of the article, and a 336 box at the bottom. That's it. The conversion is excellent. Whenever I see people slapping every single Adsense product they can find on their site, I shake my head. Can you say, "Overkill"?

jackburton2006, Dec 27, 2006 IP
    Burta likes this.
  4. darkbreed

darkbreed Peon

Best Answers:
    jackburton: interesting, I might give that a try myself after the current test with smaller ad units. Sounds like it could be worth a try :)

5. darkbreed

darkbreed Peon

Best Answers:
    I was just thinking, what about a script that changes the background colors and /or ad-unit type each time a page is loaded? anyone has some experience with that? And would it be hard to do such a thing? This way it would look like different content for every page, and maybe not be ignored so easily as ads tend to be when its clear they are ads

6. jmaresca2006

jmaresca2006 Peon

Best Answers:

i have used this technique as well. i have seen revenue increase. keep testing and see how ctr is from the change. as far as blending for white background. use white bg ads, no border, default link color text and the description text in your add should be the color of your website text. :)

jmaresca2006, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  7. darkbreed

darkbreed Peon

Best Answers:
    And if someone have the script code needed for such a thing I mentioned in my last post above that would be great :)

darkbreed, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  8. skweb

skweb Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say that keep testing until you find what works for you. However I have found that an ad unit like 234X60 with just one ad works best. I think when you have a large banner like 728, it looks so much like advertisement and people now tend not to click on what is so obviously an ad. A small ad unit looks so much like a link with more info.

skweb, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  9. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    My conversions have been best with the adunits google advises: the wide scyscraper (below the menu) and the wide banner at the bottom (when there are few ads, I change that last one to a large link-unit). That's basicly it for me on most content pages.

kh7, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  10. darkbreed

darkbreed Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips : ) Will try experiment some more and see if I can get my ctr higher. Check my new thread "My ultimate adsense layout" which I just made, I have more detailed information on how I have placed my ads etc there.

Skweb: where on your pages do you place those units?

darkbreed, Dec 28, 2006 IP