1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which will be the right title?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by dracula, Dec 27, 2006.

hi guys,

as iam into a process of making seo friendy website. I want a little help from you.

I will be launching a new website for my company soon. My old website name is www.spotonuk.com.

My new website is having 500 pages as for now. Im going to write title, that will be displayed right above, during the opening of websited.

I know that google permits title to range from 60 to 70 words...

Now suppose , if im making a title for my hardware section..

whcih format will be better ? iam listing the titles:

Spot on Computers: Dvd Reader and Writers.

or

Dvd Reader and Writers.

i was thninking, if i use company website name along with other pages, that will be useful?

please suggest the best way out in this....

will be waiting for your replies impatiently...

Thanks in advance,

A. Jain

dracula, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  2. Landeweerd

Landeweerd Peon

Best Answers:
    If you use Dvd Reader and Writers as a title you score higher on these keywords. But you will score lower on Spot on Computers.

I should use Dvd Reader and Writers as te beginning of the title. The start of you title scores higher so.

Landeweerd, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  3. tfraymond

tfraymond Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unless either your site name is keyword-rich (ie. someone is searching for 'dvd writers for computers' to use your example) or something that people are searching for (i.e. you're amazon, google, etc.) I would leave your name out of the title -- or at the very least put it at the tail of the title (i.e. 'Dvd Reader and Writers - courtesy of Spot on Computers')

tfraymond, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  4. loress

loress Peon

Best Answers:
    ok... had to read your question twice (but that may be my consumption of red wine!)

I think I'm answering your question: only use your company name in the title if it is what will be searched for.
    use minimal wording - therefore more emphasis (wow that's hard to spell with wine!) will be placed on the words
    remove superfluous (again with the big words!!!) wording... that is take out the and's and the is words only use your chosen keywords - if you need to separate the words try using a |

Good | Luck ;)

loress, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  5. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would encourage you to include your domain / company name as this will make things easier for the users to identify your site in their bookmarked list. Imagine they have many bookmarked list on your topic.

KC TAN, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  6. TheMadHat

TheMadHat Peon

Best Answers:
    For your home page, I would use your company name first. This is the page that will be bookmarked most often, and will be your landing page for company name searches. So something like this for the home page:

For your specific pages I would use the product names and optionally your company name:

TheMadHat, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  7. thewebtracker

thewebtracker Peon

Best Answers:
    So what should take precedence between?
    1. Ease of use (include the domain name so users can easily retrieve bookmarked pages)
    2. Or better title to score higher in SE

thewebtracker, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  8. nvkrishna

nvkrishna Active Member

Best Answers:
    It should be concise and search engine friendly. Aim at your target audience.

nvkrishna, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  9. TheMadHat

TheMadHat Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that depends on your audience. In this case, I would imagine the majority of the traffic would be landing on category or product pages, and not the home page. Also, branding is also something to consider. I went with that format, so you get some branding value on the home page and SE value on the product/category pages. Searches on company names also generally convert very well, so having the company name first in the title on the home page can be beneficial.

TheMadHat, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  10. parusa619

parusa619 Banned

Best Answers:
    Hmmmm, try this:

DVD Reader and Writers - Spot on Computers

parusa619, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  11. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    The best will be to use it like parusa619 suggested: DVD Reader and Writers - Spot on Computers

Emperor, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  12. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMHO the 1st one with your company name in would be best.

Dave E, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  13. srkbaroda

srkbaroda Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest u that first go to that specific product which ur targeted and then startwith that product name and than after each and every titile write down ur company name.
    like wise......DVD Writer Samsung-www.yoursitename.com...........
    try out diffrent diff. testing on ur all pages..dont do everything same on all page....try and see what happened!!!!!!.no worries man ...try out ...SEO means just try and error bases!!!!!!!!ok all the best...

srkbaroda, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  14. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. People are looking for DVD readers anyhow, not your specific site (for now anyhow). On your homepage you may want to start with your name, for branding purposes. Something like:
    Spot on Computers: computers and related accessories for sale.

[not sure about spelling, for some reason firefox isn't checking my spelling yet.]

kh7, Dec 28, 2006 IP