1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Next project - domain registration website.

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by drig, Dec 24, 2006.

I have already started planning my next project - domain registration.

I have a pretty good domain, and this site will be a real test of my SEO abilities. It will be an eNom reseller focusing on premium support and services - without forcing ads and upgrades down your throat. However, I ask you this, would you ever consider registering a domain with a new registrar? If yes, what would make you switch from another registrar (godaddy, namecheap, etc)? Price? Support? Easy and advanced domain tools (ajax lookup, expired, suggestions, whois, etc)? Thanks.

drig, Dec 24, 2006 IP
  2. jaswilli77

jaswilli77 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i would say godaddy they are the cheapest and almost everybody use them.

jaswilli77, Dec 25, 2006 IP
  3. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you even read my post??

drig, Dec 25, 2006 IP
  4. ala101

ala101 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think u will success if u really offer good service and support ..
    just Go On and be yourself man ;)

ala101, Dec 26, 2006 IP
  5. JohnTaba

JohnTaba Peon

Best Answers:
    Ease of use, if it had inbuilt and easy to use tools with features such as bulk look up, sites coming of renewal or expiration time, etc...

Likely to use also if reccomended by a friend. Then got someone to blame if it goes sucky! lol

good luck in your project

JohnTaba, Dec 26, 2006 IP
  6. EduOrg

EduOrg Active Member

Best Answers:
    Drig,

1). You're not going to win on price. GoDaddy and few others offer domains almost at cost, making money on other services or because of huge volume (i.e. Wal-Mart model). Even if you match their price, you'll run out of cash very quickly.

2). You're not going to win on support either. Even the old monster, NetworkSolutions, had improved dramatically over the past few years, offering high quality 24/7 support. The same goes for GoDaddy.

3). In my opinion, you should try to differentiate yourself and perhaps go international, specializing in ccTLDs. There are very few registrars that offer more than 10 ccTLDs, and pricing/support is awful (think EuroDNS). Also, think about focusing on the corporate sector, as that's where good margins are.

Just a thought. Best.

EduOrg, Dec 26, 2006 IP
  7. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    Ive got some really cool ideas for some value-added free tools (a mix between instantdomainsearch.com and pcnames). I think 24x7 live chat would be a great improvement. Cost for domains is approx. $6.60 after gateway fees, etc, so selling at $8.49 or even $7.99 would still leave a decent margin. Hm, well see. Im going to start getting the domain indexed by search engines, as SEO would be my main way of getting clients. Thanks for the feedback!

drig, Dec 26, 2006 IP
  8. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Best price is where I go...

I am registered at several of the larger domain registration sites, just to get in on the price drops, coupons, bulk reg's etc.

Right now idotz.net has .info domains on for 1.95, scooped up lots of those :)

FanAddict, Dec 26, 2006 IP
  9. Barti1987

Barti1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Almost everyone doesn't use them.

Godaddy sucks at domain name registration and sucks even more in hosting service.

I used Godaddy once, but to never return to it.

I am using MyDiscountDomains.com for several reasons:

* Price is cheap, 8.88
    * Easy to use control panel
    * Not too many restrictions or over your head rules and regulations

Peace,

Barti1987, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  10. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, as other said, it’s really hard to compete with BIG companies when it comes to price. But I am sure; support is something that can give you an identity that you need.

eNom is by far The Best registrar that I have used. (It’s just my opinion) But their prices are high as compare to everyone else. So if you are going with them, don’t consider to go for "Low Prices" or you will be getting out soon.
    As you said, eNom reseller, I am sure you mean eNom ETP. But think again, will you be able to offer .INFO domains for $1.99 even when their highest ETP package will cost you $6.95 ????

Look for people around you. They consider nothing but the low price (In general). You will see thousands of people complaining about GoDaddy & Registerfly but still thousands use them. Ever wonder why??

I have been experimenting different registrars for the past one month (As I am launching a small Hosting Biz). My end result is, if Quality is your main concern, go with eNom and if price then there are hundreds out there.

So, I will say, go ahead. Plan your business well and think how you can promote it. You don’t need to compete on low prices so focus on support & other add-ons as you said in your post. I wish you a great success.

(Let me know when you start :) )

Fastian, Dec 27, 2006 IP
    drig likes this.
  11. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks and nice read. Ill be able to offer .com's / net / org for $7.99 and still make a $1 even after gateway fees. Ive been thinking of some really cool front end stuff / tools (can you say ajax?) that will really bring in some traffic. Also, I think quality support is something we all like - even if we dont use it. Again, nice read. Rep added.

drig, Dec 27, 2006 IP