1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by satishtalim, Jun 5, 2005.

I am not a web designer and I recently started my blog using Blogger. When I edit my template, I see DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict at the top. I validate my blog at w3.org However, after validation, it throws many errors. My questions are:
    a. How important is it to get an error-free template code?
    b. Is error-free code important for cross browser compatibility?
    c. Will my web page load faster, if it's error-free?

satishtalim, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  2. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    You will probably get varying answers on this. So long as the website looks good across all browsers and all platforms some would argue that it doesn't matter. However as future versions of browsers are released who knows if they will correctly display your site if there are errors.

Yes. Some browsers are better at handling errors than other browsers. Sometimes and error can be easily dealt with by the browser and thus the page will still draw okay. Other times some browsers really don't know what you were asking it to do and something will break on the page.

However, just because the page validates does not guarantee that some browser won't incorrectly render something.

Probably not in a way that would be distinguishable to a human.

Assuming the page validated before you made any changes, there probably are not as many real errors as the validator says. Often once the validator hits one error it cascades into multiple errors that wouldn't ordinarily be there if it wasn't for the first error.

So even if a validator says you have 47 errors (for example) fixing the first few might make the rest disappear as well.

tflight, Jun 5, 2005 IP
    noppid likes this.
  3. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    That's covered well. Good post.

noppid, Jun 5, 2005 IP