1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Microsoft's Anti-Open Source Strategy

Discussion in 'Bing' started by nevetS, Dec 24, 2006.

Microsoft is actually involved in developing some OSS projects now (I believe they have yet another ajax framework available and one or two other things), and recently they've been rumored to be looking to hire an OSS evangelist. (Although that article wouldn't be given any credibility whatsoever if it wasn't for the domain it was hosted on).

But historically, MS has seen linux and OSS (Open Source Software) in general as a threat to their bottom line. I ran across the Halloween Documents a few days ago for the first time (they were given their name because of the timing of the first leak). Basically, some MS memo's were leaked that outlined the open source threat and the anti-open source strategical options. It's very interesting to read it from a historical perspective because they are now 8 years old. There's been some turnover at the top, but what do you think the odds are that the perspective has completely flipped?

I dugg the documents, but the article was buried less than half an hour after reaching the front page - although the article did receive 40+ diggs after being buried which I think is just wierd. I find it strange that the digg community would actually want something like this removed from the front page, so it could have been a MS conspiracy in action, some MS zealots wanting the article off the front page, or maybe the linux guys out there really didn't want to re-hash old news. Who knows.

But anyways - it's an interesting read from a historical perspective.

nevetS, Dec 24, 2006 IP
    gemini181 likes this.
  2. SEODownUnder

SEODownUnder Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't really understand alot of what's in the links but even so I still found it interesting!

SEODownUnder, Dec 26, 2006 IP
  3. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm very interested in Open Source vs. Microsoft.
    Thank you for sharing. :)

gemini181, Jan 2, 2007 IP
    nevetS likes this.