1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Ecommerce site for many customizations

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Katelynn Noah, Jan 11, 2023.

We are currently using Shopify, but run into a few issues. Shopify doesn't allow over 100 variants and that is an issue for us. We are not like most companies and over-charge them for freight, we cut our boxes down and so our cost is based off of weight and dimensions. We get discounts from our shipping companies and we pass those discounts along to our customers. That is why we don't charge a flat rate shipping price up front because we don't want our customers to be over paying for freight. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Katelynn Noah, Jan 11, 2023 IP
  2. Lisamay123

Lisamay123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The limit on the number of variants is a troublesome problem in the process of using shopify.

Lisamay123, May 24, 2023 IP
  3. spurt commerce

spurt commerce Member

Best Answers:
    If you are planning on customizations and if you are looking for 100 % flexibility for that, I recommend, you go with a solution that comes with full source code, with out any encryption. Also, look for a solution that is built on the latest modern tech stack like NodeJS or Golang. This way you can be assured of scalability, durability and consistency, no matter how many customizations you do or even change the full source code.

spurt commerce, Jun 6, 2023 IP
  4. xenForoDev

xenForoDev Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the same as the comment above, for an ecommerce website as you want it, to customize it and such, it is best to create it from scratch. Hire a programmer who does it to the extent you want, and that the code does not have any type of encryption so that in the future if you want to do something else, do not have problems. Most of the CMS like Shopify, Prestashop, have many bugs, and it is very difficult to work with them, at least in my opinion, this has been the recommendation that I have made to all my ecommerce clients.

xenForoDev, Jun 26, 2023 IP
  5. AhmedAbdullah

AhmedAbdullah Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey there,

It sounds like you have a unique shipping approach that doesn't quite align with Shopify's limitations. To address your concerns, you might want to explore other e-commerce platforms that offer more flexibility when it comes to the number of variants and customized shipping options.

Consider platforms like WooCommerce, Magento, or BigCommerce. These platforms often provide more room for customization, which could better accommodate your specific needs around shipping calculations and variant limitations.

Finding the right platform can make a big difference in delivering a tailored experience to your customers. Best of luck in finding a solution that suits your business model!

AhmedAbdullah, Aug 18, 2023 IP
  6. MrOndre

MrOndre Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Katelynn Noah looks like the issue has been not relevant for you anymore, but still, I'll leave a reply, maybe it will help someone else.
    Yes, Shopify brings many limitations. But this specific one can be bypassed by modifying a theme or using custom storefronts like Vue Storefront. While the latter is more complicated, the former is a little bit simpler because it can be implemented using Liquid only. Vue Storefront is a nice tool to build and host your own solution. The Liquid-based depends on the theme used, so it's hard to give some generic recommendations because different themes have different structures. I've done such tasks for my clients so I can say that it's possible 100%.

MrOndre, Aug 19, 2023 IP
  7. hibiscustechno

hibiscustechno Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For more flexibility and freedom in terms of customizations you may consider "Woocommerce"

hibiscustechno, Aug 26, 2023 IP
  8. bijutoha

bijutoha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You may run into issues with Shopify's 100 variants per product limit if you sell many products with several alternatives. Estimating shipping costs in advance can be tricky if they are based on weight and dimensions.

WooCommerce
    BigCommerce
    Magento

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
    bijutoha, Sep 5, 2023 IP
  9. otcommerce

otcommerce Peon

Best Answers:
    At the moment, the most popular and convenient CMS for an online store is WooCommerce. That's why I recommend it too.

otcommerce, Oct 5, 2023 IP
  10. radi27

radi27 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Try OpenCart. It has a lot of plugins and is very easily customizable. Most shops in the country I come from tend to use it.

radi27, Oct 17, 2023 IP
  11. Mohamed Soufan

Mohamed Soufan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In my article dated October 29, 2022, titled "Why You Need To Stop Using Shopify Now," I highlighted various limitations inherent to Shopify. If these restrictions are impeding your e-commerce endeavors, I strongly recommend considering a transition to WooCommerce. As an open-source e-commerce platform, WooCommerce offers unparalleled flexibility, allowing you to take the reins of your online store without encountering the constraints you might have experienced with Shopify.
    Article: https://soufan.me/website-development/why-you-need-to-stop-using-shopify-now/

Bear in mind, though, that with great power comes great responsibility. Shifting to WooCommerce means you'll be in charge of your site's maintenance and security. While this might sound daunting, the trade-off is a world of possibilities – no limitations, just your vision brought to life in your online store.

Remember, every platform has its learning curve and operational demands, but if freedom of customization and control is what you're after, WooCommerce is a robust solution worth exploring.

Mohamed Soufan, Nov 4, 2023 IP
  12. Ants

Ants Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello Katelynn Noah,

Shopify, by default, limits a single product to 100 variants. If you have a product with multiple options (e.g., size, color, material), the total combinations of these options cannot exceed 100 for that product.

However, there are ways around this limitation:

Splitting Products: A straightforward method where you can split the product with many variants into separate products. For example, a shirt that comes in various colors and sizes could be listed as separate products based on size or color to manage the variants.

Apps & Extensions: Several apps in the Shopify App Store can help circumvent this restriction. Apps like "Infinite Product Options" or "Bold Product Options" allow for added product options beyond what Shopify typically offers. These apps essentially treat added options as line item properties instead of genuine product variants, avoiding Shopify's limit.

Custom Solutions: If you have access to a developer or feel comfortable with coding, you can craft a more customized solution. This might involve using line item properties to capture extra customization options during checkout. While these won't be treated as actual product variants in Shopify's backend, they can serve a similar purpose for customers.

Moreover, as pointed out by you, modifying the theme or using custom storefronts such as Vue Storefront can also be beneficial. While Vue Storefront is a more complex approach where you can build and host your own solution, modifying a theme using Liquid is comparatively simpler. Different themes may have different structures, but customizing them to accommodate more than 100 variants is indeed possible as you now know.

Platform Migration: While migrating to another e-commerce platform like Magento could be an option due to more extensive customization capabilities, it's essential to consider the challenges. We recently moved several of our internal brands away from WooCommerce due to inherent risks and the constant security challenges associated with the WordPress ecosystem. WooCommerce and other WordPress plugins are often targets for cyberattacks, and maintaining security can be demanding.

For your shipping needs, Shopify allows for carrier-calculated shipping rates based on weight and dimensions if you're on the Advanced Shopify plan or higher, or if you pay an extra fee on the more basic plans. Third-party apps like "Intuitive Shipping" or "Boxify" can provide even more nuanced shipping calculations.

Before making any significant changes to your e-commerce setup, weigh the pros and cons and consider seeking advice from a Shopify expert or consultant tailored to your unique circumstances. Best of luck!

Ants, Nov 4, 2023 IP
  13. Ants

Ants Greenhorn

Best Answers:

I respect your insights and the points laid out in your article. However, I would like to offer a counter-perspective based on my-own experiences and observations.

1. Ownership and Control: While it's accurate that Shopify is a hosted platform, and you don't own the underlying infrastructure, this can be a boon for many merchants. They get a hassle-free, always-updated, secure, and high-performing platform without the complexities of server management. Yes, WooCommerce gives you more control, but with that comes the responsibility of security, backups, updates, and optimizations. We recently migrated several of our internal brands away from WooCommerce due to inherent risks and constant security challenges.

2. Flexibility and Customizations: It's true that Shopify uses its Liquid framework, but many find it intuitive and straightforward. Plus, the ecosystem of themes and apps available for Shopify is vast, making it feasible for non-tech-savvy users to customize their stores extensively.

3. Lock-In Mechanism: Migrating from one platform to another is always challenging, not just with Shopify. While Shopify might have its constraints, it’s essential to understand that every e-commerce platform will have its unique way of storing data.

4. Email and Blogging: Shopify not offering email hosting can be seen as a way to focus solely on what they do best: e-commerce. There are numerous specialized email hosting providers that can do a far better job than an all-in-one solution. Regarding blogging, while Shopify's feature might not be as advanced as WordPress, it’s more than sufficient for many businesses.

5. Hidden Fees: Every platform has its cost structure. Shopify's transaction fees can be avoided entirely using Shopify Payments, which offers competitive rates. Additionally, while apps can add extra costs, they also expand functionality, a common trait across all platforms, WooCommerce included.

6. Content Management: While Shopify might not be a full-fledged CMS like WordPress, it's built for e-commerce first. Many find its streamlined, focused approach advantageous. If rich content is essential, one can integrate tools or platforms specializing in that area.

7. Data Control: Your point about not controlling data is crucial, but it's also worth noting that Shopify complies with significant regulations and standards to ensure data protection. Plus, WooCommerce doesn't inherently offer better insights unless you're integrating advanced analytics tools.
    Every platform has its strengths and weaknesses. Shopify has empowered a vast number of entrepreneurs globally, just as WooCommerce has. It's all about understanding one's unique needs and finding the best fit. While WooCommerce might be the right solution for some, Shopify remains an excellent choice for many.

Ants, Nov 4, 2023 IP
  14. siimoben

siimoben Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    we are using woocommerce in our website and everthing is working good, you can take a look : here

siimoben, Nov 7, 2023 IP
  15. ROMINA VILLEGAS

ROMINA VILLEGAS Peon

Best Answers:
    I really thoght that "Mercado Libre" was a good option to buy an sell online, but definitly it is not so good as sounds. The best eCommerce is by your own way i mean searching groups in social media apps , beacuse you can sell without to pay a comision for publishing the thing that you are selling.

ROMINA VILLEGAS, Nov 7, 2023 IP
  16. Arden5583

Arden5583 Peon

Best Answers:
    "Thrilled with Grozeo – hands down the best e-commerce website builder I've used! The seamless website creation, powerful inventory management, and in-depth analytics make it a game-changer for any online business. Plus, the secure payment gateway and mobile-responsive design ensure a top-notch shopping experience. Highly recommend it for anyone serious about taking their online store to the next level!"

Arden5583, Nov 10, 2023 IP
  17. ecommerceUruguay

ecommerceUruguay Peon

Best Answers:
    ecommerce-uruguay
    stands out for its unwavering commitment to customer satisfaction and adaptability to market trends. The store not only offers a wide range of high-quality products but also strives to simplify the online shopping experience. The platform features intuitive search and filtering functions, allowing users to quickly find what they're looking for and discover new products that align with their preferences.

ecommerceUruguay, Nov 26, 2023 IP