1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to extend wireless network

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by andy_boyd, Mar 20, 2006.

Hi,

I work in a large building with plenty of walls and thick concrete floors to block WiFi signals. Right now we have a Netgear DG834GT that provides wireless networking and internet access for the office and nearby areas.

However, we would like to extend the range by about 70 meters and through a thick concrete floor. I had bought 2 Apple Airport Express units that I intended to use for the job, but then found out that they do not work with non-Airport Extreme base stations in this capacity.

So now I need to know what equipment I must purchase in order to extend the range of my WiFi network. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

andy_boyd, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  2. Peanut

Peanut Peon

Best Answers:
    dunno about the exact equiptment but if extending a wireless network using the b or g standard then you need to make sure the channels that you broadcast on dont clash so try channel 1,6 and 11.

I just checked i think this would work fine for the access points

Netgear WG602 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless Access Point

Peanut, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  3. Peanut

Peanut Peon

Best Answers:
    oh netgear do a range extender, that may do the trick too

Peanut, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  4. andy_boyd

andy_boyd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like the Netgear wall-plugged range extender should do the trick! :)

Thanks Peanut

andy_boyd, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  5. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You need to add an access point

infonote, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  6. andy_boyd

andy_boyd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Does the Netgear range extender not come with that?

andy_boyd, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  7. charliemoore

charliemoore Peon

Best Answers:
    Setup.ampedwireless.com is the default web address for the Amped wireless extenders that allows users to do Amped setup with ease. It acts as an alternative to the default IP address of the Amped wireless extender. By accessing one can setup Amped wireless extender and make necessary changes to its settings. This page will provide you with all the important information on how to access setup.ampedwireless.com and use it to perform Amped wireless extender setup.

charliemoore, Mar 22, 2023 IP
  8. Joseph Mack

Joseph Mack Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're looking to extend your wireless network, there are a few different ways that can be done. The first option is to use an extender or repeater which will take the existing signal from your router and amplify it so that it covers more area in your home. Another way is to purchase additional access points and connect them wirelessly with each other using mesh technology. Finally, if you have multiple routers available, you can create a bridge between them by connecting one of the routers via Ethernet cable and then setting up both devices as part of the same network. All these options will help increase coverage for your wireless network without having to invest in expensive hardware upgrades.

Joseph Mack, Mar 23, 2023 IP
  9. UpgradeIT.ro

UpgradeIT.ro Member

Best Answers:
    In your situation, I would recommend using a WiFi range extender or a mesh WiFi system to extend the range of your network. A range extender is a device that connects to your existing WiFi network and boosts the signal, allowing you to reach areas that were previously out of range. A mesh WiFi system, on the other hand, consists of multiple devices that work together to provide a strong, seamless WiFi signal throughout your entire building.

UpgradeIT.ro, Mar 23, 2023 IP
  10. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The OP asked this question back in March 20, 2006. I am reasonably certain that he probably got the answer by this time. ;)
    Who knows, it's been so long that he might even be dead by now.:rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2023 IP
    Kerosene likes this.