1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

starting a new food blog.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wildpacman, Sep 5, 2022.

Hello everyone,
    i am Dill from new zealand. i love to cook and planning to start my own food blog . please guys if you have any suggestions for me to how to take my baby steps and where to look first regarding domain,hosting and seo (latest and organic techniques)(refrences of professionals with proven work),that would be really apprecaited. All suggestions welcome.

wildpacman, Sep 5, 2022 IP
    MargoFarrel likes this.
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hey Dill, good luck with the blog - it's a tough niche but don't let that put you off. Do your homework and work out how to stand out from the crowd. From what I've seen the fact that we speak English, have a quirky sense of humor while being grounded makes us stand out.

Hosting is easy - I use KiwiLink (who are now Kiwi Internet I think) because my sites are locally focused. There are others like Orcon but I don't know anyone who uses them so can't give an opinion. Inspire in Palmerston North have given a client good service for 15+ years.

If you're looking for an international audience you may be better with American hosting.

Don't overthink hosting. Most companies are going to give good uptime. Disk space and bandwidth can be upsized, but you need backups and to know the company is financially sound.

For beginners self hosted WordPress does a good job and there are SEO plug-ins. A lot depends on you and how tech savvy you are. With a bit of determination you can do a lot yourself.

Time vs Money: you can buy a theme for your site that comes with a lot of bells and whistles or spend a lot of time working out how to DIY. Writing themes can be satisfying but only if you WANT to do programming. As a food guy you're probably better off perfecting how you take food photos or shoot food tiktoks.

Don't be afraid to spend money to save time. Even if you don't recoup it quickly it's still cheaper than a lot of hobbies you could take up.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on!

sarahk, Sep 5, 2022 IP
  3. wildpacman

wildpacman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    thank you sarahk . really appreciate that you took out some time to reply on this thread. thank you

wildpacman, Sep 5, 2022 IP
  4. Amony11

Amony11 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    1. Work on content.
    2. Promote your blog.
    3. Monetize your food blog.

Amony11, Sep 6, 2022 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I am sure there are foods specific to NZ. I don't know any, as someone in the US, I wouldn't mind finding out something about NZ specific foods. I do enjoy watching >> this lady on PBS <<.

SEO IS DEAD. No, really. Don't worry about it. Work on your content. Make it interesting, make it appealing. A food blog should be all about pictures. High quality, delish looking. Obviously, don't forget utilizing Instagram.

qwikad.com, Sep 6, 2022 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Langbein is a national treasure.

We have some foods of our own but most of it is fusion - the mongrel of food just as its people are mostly mongrels. After all, you don't go to America to eat traditional American food, you eat the western influenced food that has evolved with society. I'm pretty sure native Americans didn't eat burgers , "BBQ" etc.

sarahk, Sep 6, 2022 IP
  7. knowledgeherald

knowledgeherald Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good luck to you and do note that posting quality content regularly may help you to rise and monetize.

knowledgeherald, Sep 7, 2022 IP
  8. Harvey Wolf

Harvey Wolf Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there, I don't personally think any one area can be saturated as long as you yourself are doing a good job on it. OK it might take time, but like they say, Rome was not built in a day!
    With passion, there is creativity, you may perhaps need to think outside the box a bit, but there is no reason why you can't be successful.
    Content is key, creative, persistent, targeted and relevant content.
    SEO can be a minefield, but like you say, baby steps and you can get the hang of it. There are many little things you can do to improve SEO for example:

1. The use of keywords is vital, that said be sure not to pack your page with loads of them. Always remember there is a human being on the other side trying to make heads and tails of what it is you have to say.
    2. Always remember to keep adding value first and foremost.
    3. As it's a food blog great visuals are a must, just remember to make sure the images are not so big that they take a long time to load. Unfortunately, everyone is too busy! No one has the time or inclination to stop (even for a second)to see what loads, you can bet it's off to the next website.

Above all enjoy the journey.
    If it helps my blog entitled ' How Ranking A Website Can Be Simple & Easy To Do will help with more SEO tactics which again are not that difficult to implement.

It's basic but effective suggestions which I hope help, and above all, well done for starting, and enjoy the ride!
    Harvey :)

Harvey Wolf, Sep 8, 2022 IP
  9. MartyTheMarketer

MartyTheMarketer Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Dill,

Don't know if anyone mentioned it but Namecheap tends to be the way to go for domains.

As for your blog, I agree with sarahk Wordpress was pretty much built for it. If you can get to grips with it, you'll have TONS of easy-to-use design options (a lot of which are completely free).

MartyTheMarketer, Sep 9, 2022 IP
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If you are looking for a larger, more international hosting service, I recommend hostgator.com. Have used them since 2004 and they have been excellent and often went above and beyond the call of duty for me. As @qwikad.com said, forget SEO; it's all B.S., these days. But you need a solid social media strategy for your market.

BTW, check out the food thread in my signature and feel free to add to it!

jrbiz, Sep 10, 2022 IP
  11. Phil0110

Phil0110 Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all, you should care of the content of your blog, very good articles fly to the top even without a SEO, also think about a feature of your blog.

Phil0110, Nov 14, 2022 IP
  12. okchacha

okchacha Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's great that you decided to develop yourself in that field, but I can tell you that developing your blog, basically like developing your own business, can be quite complicated. When I just started running a business in web design, I used to struggle with insurance, but after I discovered small business insurance twitter, everything got solved pretty fast. I believe that blog creation has its own difficulties, so you just need to be ready for that.

okchacha, Dec 13, 2022 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. MargoFarrel

MargoFarrel Member

Best Answers:
    I wish you good luck! I will definitely visit your food blog and recommend it to all my friends. You have to start your blogging and then share it with us here!

MargoFarrel, Dec 27, 2022 IP
  14. James Cavalcanti

James Cavalcanti Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Dill! Starting a food blog can be a fun and rewarding way to share your love of cooking with others. Here are a few suggestions for taking your first steps:
    1. Choose a domain name and hosting provider: Your domain name is the web address for your blog, and your hosting provider is the company that stores your website and makes it accessible to visitors. There are many options available for both of these, so it's a good idea to shop around and compare prices and features. Some popular hosting providers include Bluehost, HostGator, and GoDaddy.
    2. Set up your website: Once you have chosen a domain name and hosting provider, you'll need to set up your website. This will typically involve installing and configuring a content management system (CMS) like WordPress or Joomla. There are many tutorials and resources available online to help you with this process.
    3. Plan your content: Before you start writing and publishing posts, it's a good idea to have a clear plan for the type of content you want to create. Consider what your target audience is interested in, and what type of recipes and cooking tips you want to share. You may also want to think about the format of your posts (e.g., written articles, video tutorials, etc.) and how often you plan to publish new content.
    4. Focus on SEO: Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of optimizing your website to rank higher in search engine results. This is important because it can help drive traffic to your site and increase the visibility of your blog. There are many ways to optimize your website for SEO, including creating high-quality, relevant content, using keywords and phrases in your titles and tags, and building backlinks from other websites.
    5. Engage with your audience: Building a community of followers and engaging with them is an important part of running a successful food blog. Consider using social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest to share your content and interact with your audience. You may also want to consider starting a newsletter or joining online food blogger communities to connect with others in the industry.
    I hope these suggestions are helpful as you take your first steps towards starting your food blog. Good luck!

James Cavalcanti, Dec 27, 2022 IP
  15. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, using AI to post a response? lol

kjh-08, Dec 27, 2022 IP
  16. DonaldLeal

DonaldLeal Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a great idea to start blogging. The topic of nutrition is always relevant. Moreover, if you talk about what you love, success will definitely await you. I understand correctly, you know how to write texts beautifully?

DonaldLeal, Feb 1, 2023 IP
  17. Emmeline

Emmeline Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Dill! First, choose a name for your blog, design a logo, and create a website. Then, come up with a content strategy, decide on a posting schedule, and start creating content. Finally, promote your blog on social media and reach out to other food bloggers to get involved in the community. With dedication and hard work, you can create a successful food blog!

Emmeline, Mar 10, 2023 IP
  18. dwnb520

dwnb520 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you should try it on an app like Tiktok because it's simple, you just take a picture and upload it

dwnb520, Mar 24, 2023 IP
  19. FoRsa

FoRsa Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    take a look to lifestylehubz blog , it can help you .

FoRsa, Apr 27, 2023 IP
  20. PicDefense

PicDefense Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This was originally posted back in September, I'm curious if you ever got the food blog going? Any updates on this?

PicDefense, May 17, 2023 IP