1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to make 24/7 protection against hosting shutdown?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Kaspum, Aug 17, 2022.

Hello

I rent a server on one of the hosting. Sometimes (every few months) there are problems due to which the site may be unavailable for 10 - 60 minutes, or even several hours. Because of this, traffic is lost, an obvious problem.

Is there a way to make an online clone of the site in HTML format so that if the main hosting is unavailable (an error), the HTML forum + third-party advertising scripts are given.

I've heard that some people make websites in HTML + Google Search Site format in order to use the cheapest hosting and process millions of requests per day.

There is a CloudFlare Health Checks tool ($20 per month), which automatically redirects users to another IP when the main hosting (IP) is unavailable. I plan to use it.

I use a WordPress site, maybe there is a plugin to create a site mirror and keep it up to date on another hosting?

Kaspum, Aug 17, 2022 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You need a better hosting provider, those outages are too long and too frequent.

When visitors request your website they get given DNS info that points to your server. It can take up to 36 hours for DNS changes to propagate around the web. If you made DNS changes when your server is offline there isn't enough time to switch to a mirror.

And that's where cloudflare comes in and they can do it more quickly. But for that $20/month you could get a better quality hosting package

sarahk, Aug 17, 2022 IP
  3. Kaspum

Kaspum Peon

Best Answers:
    My website is not down due to hosting. I use expensive hosting and pay over $200 per month for it.
    The problem is high traffic, traffic and the whole WordPress system.
    Sometimes it happens that there are no problems for several months, but I want to make sure. So is there a way to automatically clone a site?
    I don't need to name DNS to use CloudFlare. Changing the server IP thanks to Health Status takes a matter of seconds.

Kaspum, Aug 17, 2022 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You pay 200/month for hosting and the server can't handle the bandwidth?
    Maybe you need to move away from WordPress.
    Something seems to be off here.

sarahk, Aug 17, 2022 IP
    JEET likes this.
  5. Kaspum

Kaspum Peon

Best Answers:
    I am fine.
    I just want to make the website accessible, is there a way to do this via HTML?

Kaspum, Aug 17, 2022 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    What you're describing sounds like a DDoS attack or just high volume bot traffic. If you're in cPanel, check "Visitors" under "Metrics", during those slow server days (other panels may have their own options to check those stats).

qwikad.com, Aug 18, 2022 IP
  7. Serv00

Serv00 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Check your site's access logs in the middle of the problem, perhaps optimizing your site will fix the problem. Alternatively use CloudFlare for DDOS and firewall protection, use their cache too.

Serv00, Aug 26, 2022 IP
  8. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    See, if its not a bandwidth problem, then its wordpress overload problem.
    Wordpress problem means that wordpress is taking too long to generate the page, keeping memory and processor engaged, and when too many people access the website, the server gives up.
    Eventually, when traffic drops, memory and processor gets freed on server, and things return to normal.

If your site is getting so much traffic, then you need to do some changes to get this thing working properly.
    There is no easy fix for this.
    Whatever easy fixes are there, they are temporary, and they serve pages which are limited in functionality, which users do not like.

First tell me what is the error people see when website fails to load?
    500 internal server error, or a php generated timeout error?
    What do your php error logs say in case 500 error is shown?

Or, is it default browser error, like:
    Chrome cannot load this page, website took too long to respond.

Which one is it?

Right now, I think some of your problem can be solved by saving a full page cache on your current hosting itself. Will require some webspace depending on how many pages the website has, probably a couple of GB.

Instead of serving the wordpress website, serve the cache itself, all the time.
    Update the cache using a background script every 15 or 30 minutes.

So, only your cache updating script accesses the database, generates a whole wordpress page, and saves entire output in a cache file, a plain html file.
    These html files get served whenever someone opens your website pages.

Won't matter how many people access the site, the database is never touched, except by your cache generating script.

Wherever your website is using some member function, like posting comments, etc, those functions will need to be recoded to use javascript, and then its simple integration.
    So instead of accessing the full wordpress page, these functions access only the ajax php script, and update the database.

Most people are simply reading forum pages, not posting.
    So during all that time, only the HTML page is served.
    When someone posts, ajax updates the database, and triggers your cache generating script. New cache is generated for that particular page, and everything loads.

Even with your cloning idea, people won't be able to post or like etc, which is sort of frustrating...
    With a clone, they can only read the page, nothing else.
    But with what I posted above, website will work normally, all the time.

JEET, Sep 1, 2022 IP