1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Shall I grow food at home to save extra cash?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by terryneo3, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Recently, I have been upset about the price of food, which has gone up too much. I've cut back on grocery shopping and try to cook for myself. I'm also looking for ways to save money. Besides, a report from a coupon site to help people save money, stated those who grow vegetables and food at home can save $500 a year. So, I'm curious if anyone has the experience of growing their own food, and if a home garden can really save money.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2022
    terryneo3, Aug 1, 2022 IP
  2. web_master

web_master Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It will be more expensive. Just chase discount supermarkets.

web_master, Aug 1, 2022 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Agreed. Not only that, the amount of time it takes, oh my! And nothing is guaranteed. Some disease or bug can destroy the whole thing. I'd still grow it for fun, but that's about it.

qwikad.com, Aug 1, 2022 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    And your crops will all come through at the same time, not when you need them. However you'll find better forums and social media to give you advice than an internet marketing forum.

sarahk, Aug 1, 2022 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I laugh about the saving money part. I am an avid gardener facing the worst drought I have experienced in my lifetime. My last two water bills have been $266 and $336 each. That said, with the food shortages we are facing it might be a good time to dip your toe in the water so to speak and try a small fall garden.

I am hanging in with the watering, if I discontinue it at this point I will loose all my lawn and perennial plants. The cost to replace them will be astronomical. Many of which I can not easily replace.

To preserve your excess food grown, you either need a freezer, a pressure caner, or a dehydrator. For the last two years canning jars have been hard to acquire in the sizes you may want. I don't have much experience with a dehydrator but what experience I have had is not very positive. I understand you can dehydrate using your car and a cookie sheet placed on the dashboard. I have not tried that.

Smyrl, Aug 1, 2022 IP
    jrbiz, sarahk and qwikad.com like this.
  6. newbie191

newbie191 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A few crops such as ginger will grow easily without much effort in your home garden. But takes 6-7 months to harvest. You can grow coriander easily and it will be ready for consumption in 15-20days. Grow a lemon tree. Don't store extra in freezers. Try to sell to the local shopkeepers or look for local buyers online. But as said this takes lot of time.

newbie191, Aug 1, 2022 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There is little that you can do agriculturally at home that can compete with commercially produced food prices and availability. That is why Big Ag is so dominant and successful: economies of scale. You would be best off to search for cost savings elsewhere.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    jrbiz, Aug 6, 2022 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Losing your reliance on a vehicle would be my first suggestion. By the time you've bought it, maintained it, insured it, fueled it you could have paid for a nice bike or e-bike and a lot of ubers. If you're geographically mobile consider moving to a more bike-friendly town/city, even a different country.

Study in your own time so that you can earn a promotion, or move to a new career path.

Be fit - you don't have to join a gym or buy masses of "active wear" but by being healthy you'll have fewer sick days and spend less on medication & medical services - especially if you're in a country that doesn't have universal healthcare.

After that, all the money-saving tips are things that reduce your quality of life. Stop drinking coffee, going to the movies, and buying clothes... I'd be ok but most people wouldn't.

sarahk, Aug 6, 2022 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. MargoFarrel

MargoFarrel Member

Best Answers:
    You can grow some vegetables or green at home, but it is just for fun, as your hobby, because it requires so much time and money. Buying at the grocery with discounts much better and cheaper!

MargoFarrel, Aug 8, 2022 IP
  10. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    At least much better than me. I am in Singapore, imagine entire country is 700 sq kilometers with 6 million population. No place to grow a pea.

wisdomtool, Aug 8, 2022 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There's still room for forestry! We did a night tour of the zoo many years ago and were impressed on the drive out by the park land/forest that we passed.

But apartment living certainly makes it impossible. A vertical vege garden isn't going to be enough.

sarahk, Aug 8, 2022 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  12. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    At least you need to go through Pros and Cons first before such planning.

DON.

deluxdon, Aug 9, 2022 IP
  13. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Growing food in your yard its not easy ,needs hard work ,water for plants and many others so its not easy

Spartan14, Aug 10, 2022 IP
  14. petersonisador

petersonisador Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course, homemade fruits and vegetables are much tastier than store-bought. But to grow them, you need to put a lot of effort physically and financially. In the end, it will be more expensive than buying ready-made in the store. Expenses, from what I could now quickly remember: the purchase of seeds, seedlings, fertilizers, tools, water for irrigation, treatment against pests. And you should always take into account that there may be a crop failure for various reasons that do not depend on you.

petersonisador, Aug 19, 2022 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. vrwrys

vrwrys Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely! You took the words right out of my mouth.Sometimes, depending on how much you plant,you end up with more than you need and so there's enough to share with others.That's the cool part because you may be able to barter with your neighbors. Win-Win

vrwrys, Apr 3, 2023 IP