1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How come the conversion rate decreases as traffic increases along time?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Silvie, Mar 27, 2022.

I have this online shop (wallpapers and wall decals) for about 6 years and looking at G Analytics, I noticed that 4-5 years ago, I had less traffic and conversion rate ranged between 3 to 5%. Along these years, I added more products and got more organic traffic, but conversion rate kept dropping along time, and today is like 0,6 - 1,3%, way too low. Also, the bounce rate back then used to be 40-60% and today is 10% tops.

It doesn't make sense to me: today I have lower bounce rate, more products and traffic, a better website but LESS conversion. Any thoughts?

P.S: people aren't even adding products to cart, so, it's not a shipping cost issue

Silvie, Mar 27, 2022 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you are getting the visitors, but they are not buying, then you might not be catering to the right clientele. Might be your products. Might be your presentation. Might be something on your site is broken.

Go visit several different friends and use their computers to view your site. Site might look good to you on your computer but looks/works like crap on other computers. The more complex (and 'modern') your site is, the more likely you could run into platform issues.

Every time someone fixes something that which is not broken (AKA 'improves' something), something else breaks. Six years without 'updating' (AKA fixing what others broke) is a real issue for modern sites.

mmerlinn, Mar 27, 2022 IP
    seomanualsubmission likes this.
  3. Silvie

Silvie Peon

Best Answers:
    I see what you mean, thank you for the insights! I'll take a closer look at the products and clientele first, because the website was extensively tested already. But I'll take that into account. Many thanks

Silvie, Mar 28, 2022 IP
  4. Nsjim

Nsjim Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Silvie also check for competitors and prices

Nsjim, Apr 6, 2022 IP
  5. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe the products that you sell still not so popular like on the past and they decrease in popularity .Do a search of what you seel on google trends to see the rate popularity

Spartan14, Apr 7, 2022 IP
  6. Gamerseo

Gamerseo Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends on what products you sell. Maybe the trends have changed. First of all, analyze the competition well.

Gamerseo, Apr 7, 2022 IP
  7. Silvie

Silvie Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you all. I'm 99% sure it's the trends, these products are not so popular anymore and my designs are outdated. I'll create a couple dozen of new and trendy designs and I'll get back to you if they don't sell. Many thanks

Silvie, Apr 8, 2022 IP
  8. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Update your designs.

Lower prices on old stock or otherwise promote it (like 2 for 1) etc until your old stock is gone.

mmerlinn, Apr 8, 2022 IP
  9. Milosz

Milosz Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, it's a good point, I'm dealing with price tracking, reviews, and ratings, which are very important. One of my customers conducted an A/B test disabling reviews for half of the visitors. It showed that products with reviews were bought 80% more often. And tracking competitors' prices helps set the right prices.

Milosz, Apr 14, 2022 IP
  10. myreseller home

myreseller home Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Since eCommerce conversion rate optimization became so popular in recent years, it's no wonder that the rate decreases as traffic increases over time. Here are some reasons why:
    -People become less likely to make a purchase when they're faced with more choices. They may be overwhelmed and indecisive.
    -The urgency of the purchase is decreased as time goes on. With more time, people may realize that they don't really need the product or service and decide not to buy it.
    -The chances of buying a product or service from a brand that one has never heard of before are much lower than if the purchase is made immediately. People are more likely to buy from a brand that they know and trust.
    -For online purchases, there's also the matter of shipping time and cost.

myreseller home, May 23, 2022 IP
  11. Silvie

Silvie Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you all. Here's what I've tried:
    1) Lowered the price of my old designs in 20 - 35% for 15 days and no sales, then, I got back to the normal price and made a sale last week
    2) Created a couple of new designs, but they're still not ranking well on google
    Being an unknown brand was never an issue, because my website is cool and professional and looks trustworthy. And I agree with Milosz, I definitely should enable ratings and add reviews to all products.

But let's face the reality: according to google trends, the interest for wall decals / wall stickers is decreasing in the last 5 years, worldwide, and even more in the last year.

Silvie, May 24, 2022 IP
  12. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Looks to me that you are targeting the wrong clientele. Targeting clientele that must choose between buying decals or eating is a losing proposition today. Decals are nice, but they cannot be eaten, so anyone that must choose between eating and decals is not a good clientele to be targeting.

Don't know how to do it with decals, but I think you should somehow target those that will always have money for the nicer things in life. In other words, create your own frog pond where you are the only frog in the pond.

Hard. But can be done. I know. I have done it. I target racers, people who restore autos, industrial companies, people owning 'toys' (like Jeeps, etc), and so on. I avoid targeting people that drive throw away cars. In other words, I target those that do not need to worry about buying food.

mmerlinn, May 24, 2022 IP