1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

LLC taxed as an S Corp Question

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by seattle-west, Mar 21, 2016.

I just filed for an LLC with my state and got my ubi. Now all I need to do is sign up for a ein number. I'm kinda confused though when signing up for an LLC that's being taxed as an S corp, for my ein do I file as an s corporation or file as an llc then elect s corp status? Thanks. I'm a sole owner btw.

seattle-west, Mar 21, 2016 IP
  2. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    an s-corp just means you pass the profit/loss thru to your (or you and all owners by %) personal taxes...

but you have to file a form both federal and state to change your LLC to an s-corp (you are still an LLC, s-corp is just a type of LLC) before filing your annual...

(if you forget, your accountant can also send a form to back date being an s-corp)

pmf123, Mar 26, 2016 IP
  3. drestauro

drestauro Member

Best Answers:
    LLCs and S Corps are different business designations. LLCs are pass through entities meaning that you file earnings on your personal return. Now I'm assuming when you are asking about an "LLC taxed as an S corp" you really mean to ask about the LLCs ability to be taxed at the corporate tax rate.

It makes sense to do that if your personal tax rate is higher that 15%. The corporate tax rate of 15% only applies to the first $50,000 of earnings. From $50K-$75K is taxed at 25%. $75K-$100K is taxes at 34% and it goes up from there. So depending on your personal rate you would need to decide how much of your LLC earnings you want to use the corporate rate for. To do that you need to file IRS Form 8832, (Entity Classification Election) Along with your personal return.

drestauro, Mar 26, 2016 IP
  4. Dailydriveco

Dailydriveco Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have filed the paperwork for your LLC to be taxed as an s-corporation you will file Form 1120S and not Form 1065. Both LLCs and S-corps are pass-through entities so all income gets reported on your personal return. One benefit of the S-corp over the LLC is that you are only subjected to self-employment taxes on your wages from the S-corp as opposed to your net income from an LLC.

Dailydriveco, Mar 27, 2016 IP
  5. Jacob Hawkins

Jacob Hawkins Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As per Internal Revenue Service (IRS),” S Corporation is the corporation that elects to pass corporate income, losses, deductions, and credits through to their shareholders for federal tax purposes”. This means businesses are saved from “double taxation”, and the taxes are only levied at the corporate level.

Jacob Hawkins, Jun 4, 2018 IP
  6. Petrea Dishman

Petrea Dishman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You elect s-corp status - if you haven't already, you complete form 2553 here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2553.pdf

Petrea Dishman, Jun 5, 2018 IP
  7. tbrown04

tbrown04 Peon

Best Answers:
    Great to know this!
    I will really blank about these but just gone through this thread I got a lot of things that I need to know about LLC taxed. I just created for myself Delaware LLC after checking about tax as an s corp other things.

tbrown04, Dec 5, 2021 IP
  8. Đặng Văn Bình

Đặng Văn Bình Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the clarification. Never heard of it.

Đặng Văn Bình, Dec 7, 2021 IP
  9. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you aren't certain as to how to go about this I recommend you make an appointment with a legitimate tax attorney.

JoeSpirit, Dec 8, 2021 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. Klaxxon

Klaxxon Peon

Best Answers:
    hello! It was 6 years ago - can you share your experience? I am going to apply for LLC now and want to hear how it was. Maybe you know how it is going now? In which state did you do that?

Klaxxon, May 10, 2022 IP
  11. Klaxxon

Klaxxon Peon

Best Answers:
    If someone else is interested - I asked my lawyer to searchthe ways I can register LLC and I found out that now I can do that by using onlune services https://bestllcservices.co/start-an-llc-in-vermont/ and it sounds great as I hate all this paperwork and running around the offices. It took about 5 minutes and now I can recommend it

Klaxxon, May 16, 2022 IP