1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

drop down menu for beginners

Discussion in 'JavaScript' started by rabbitman, Apr 24, 2022.

I am learning Javascript right now and am looking to start as soon as possible, but I don't know where to begin.

In my mind I would like the user experience to be as simple as possible; focused on the centre of the screen, on a single drop down menu, of which when a choice is selected that menu visually slides out of the way (so the user doesn't feel disoriented), as a new one slides in, and so forth, until the selections are exhausted.

What should I look into to achieve this please ?

rabbitman, Apr 24, 2022 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Using JS for menus is not a good idea in my book. If the UA does not have working eyeballs, how will the UA navigate the page? For example, indexing bots do not have eyeballs, so HOW will they find your pages so that the search engines can index them? That is assuming that you want people to find your site via Google, Bing, etc.

mmerlinn, Apr 24, 2022 IP
  3. rabbitman

rabbitman Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, good point. I don't know.

I found the following: https://codepen.io/balapa/pen/zvObzO

If you can imagine that the questions continue until their logical conclusion, and then the user would be take to the page.

I don't know if questions are used as searchable metadata (probably?) but surely I could embed that somewhere in the code ?

rabbitman, Apr 24, 2022 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Seconded, particularly since these days such things can be implemented in HTML/CSS without a single blasted line of JS... either via the :target technique mixed with :hover, or the "input:checked~ul" method.

deathshadow, Apr 25, 2022 IP