1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site/URL Structure

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by fashio51, Apr 12, 2022.

I am in the process of migrating a website over from cakephp to wordpress. The site has been going since 2009 and gets a decent amount of traffic. I'm thinking of using the migration to do some tidy up of duplicate content/site structure. On the current site I have a discounts section and a stores section.

the stores section features a list of stores, with store info and the ability for users to leave store reviews. example url: website.com/stores/cool-store

the discount section lists discounts, each discount is linked to a store. website.com/discounts/10-off-at-cool-store.

The problem I have is that discounts codes expire. Plus over the year one store might have 20+ 10% off codes, meaning I am left with urls like:

website.com/discounts/10-off-at-cool-store
    website.com/discounts/10-off-at-cool-store-1
    website.com/discounts/10-off-at-cool-store-2​

so after 10+ years I just have loads of these sort of urls on the site. Which are pretty much duplicate content other than a few minor details.

I'm trying to work out the best way of dealing with this. Although my site is not primarly for discount codes. I've noticed most big voucher sites don't link to each discount individually, but have a main page for each store that lists the codes. I wan't to do something similar, but feel I couldn't just dump the codes on the main store page: website.com/stores/cool-store (or could I?) I feel a specific code overview page for each store would allow me to have better SEO keywords etc.

I'm thinking my options are:

1. Have structure like: website.com/discounts/cool-store with specific discount info for that store and a list of the active discounts for the store. That would mean for every store on my site I would also need a discount page. So would end up with the following urls for every store entry:
    website.com/stores/cool-store
    website.com/discounts/cool-store​

2. Have structure like this: website.com/stores/cool-store/discounts. Not 100% sure how I would achieve this developement wise, but should be possible - but does it make sense/would it negatively effect SEO?

3. Try and put all discount content onto the main store page (website.com/stores/cool-store), possible in a tab. Would mean SEO would be diluted possibly with the extra page content, I'd also need to decide whether to change the main focus of these pages to be discount related. The url also would not feature the keyword 'discounts'

Does anyone have any suggestions on which would be most logical/best for SEO. Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

fashio51, Apr 12, 2022 IP
  2. KleenSoft

KleenSoft Peon

Best Answers:
    You can set temporary redirections on discount URLs

KleenSoft, Apr 13, 2022 IP
  3. fashio51

fashio51 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks KleenSoft, the question was more which new URL structure would make more sense/work best for SEO rather than setting up redirect from old to new urls.

fashio51, Apr 13, 2022 IP