1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Link to a site map on all pages in footer: still useful?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Selena-Quintanilla, Mar 7, 2022.

Hello Friends, little question of the day,
    1. Is it useful for SEO to have a page with all the site's links? (in the case of a site that does not exceed 100 pages)
    2. Is having a link in the footer and therefore all the pages to this page a good strategy or just one link to this Site Map is enough?
    ( I already have an XML file for the sitemap)
    thanks in advance

Selena-Quintanilla, Mar 7, 2022 IP
  2. VortexAlpha

VortexAlpha Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't quite understand what you meant by creating one page with all site's links, but I guess you meant to have some kind of a sitemap present on some page that will guide users through the site and help them navigate through it more easily. As it seems like your second question related to the footer is pretty similar so I suppose that's what you had in mind. I think it's maybe a better idea to place important links in the footer and not create a special page just for it, as it wouldn't make much sense and the footer is a great choice for this type of thing.

VortexAlpha, Mar 30, 2022 IP
  3. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1. Think about your visitors instead of putting SEO ahead of them. Is it USEFUL for your visitors? If not, then don't do it. If it is, then do it. If you have built your site properly it will not matter for SEO.

2. A single link on every page is OK, especially for large sites. Again, it won't matter for SEO.

mmerlinn, Mar 30, 2022 IP
  4. Selena-Quintanilla

Selena-Quintanilla Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank all for your reply, i appreciated a lot!

1. It can be useful for some visitor, but in the case of my question i was focus about the SEO ( but of course human user is important,)
    2. I already have my "important" page in the footer, the main idea is to thing
    +
    Maybe i am wrong I got in mind than the fact there is link to my sitemap on all my page the robot will crawl more my website? This is just broscience jaja?

Just for info the page of my sitemap acording to my google search console say :
    "Detected, currently not indexed"
    I don't know/can't draw any conclusion,)
    A hypothesis is that this page was not useful to him, therefore not indexed?

PS : Sorry for my english this is not my native language!

Selena-Quintanilla, Mar 30, 2022 IP
  5. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If your site is well linked internally, Google will find every page with just one external link. For 100 pages I would not even bother with a sitemap especially since Google has already found your site.

I never had a sitemap on my site until after there were 9000 pages, and Google never had any problem indexing my site. Now at 15000 pages I have a sitemap even though I cannot see any difference in the indexing on Google. If I did not already have my sitemap already automatically updating, I would abandon it as I don't see that it is helping me.

Known reasons (to me) for Google not indexing a page are:

1. Improperly composed coding for the page
    2. Page does not meet quality standards
    3. Not enough content
    4. Page loads too slow
    5. Similar to other already indexed pages
    6. Index bots can't navigate the page
    7. Index bots quit indexing pages due to time limits
    8. Content is mostly images (which cannot be indexed)

Often Google will skip pages, then later index them. Except for sites with few pages, Google will not index all pages all at the same time. They will come back later and maybe index more. Some may never get indexed.

mmerlinn, Mar 30, 2022 IP
  6. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is true. My pages are usually indexed within a few days. But recently I submitted one that was not indexed for about 4 months. Then, lo and behold, one day there it was...indexed.

Jim4767, Mar 30, 2022 IP
  7. KleenSoft

KleenSoft Peon

Best Answers:
    yes it is still useful to link the sitemap in the footer but many SEO's are not doing this

KleenSoft, Apr 4, 2022 IP
  8. Selena-Quintanilla

Best Answers:
    Thank for your reply,
    with SEO that the dilemma sometime is hard to know what useful or not!

Selena-Quintanilla, Apr 9, 2022 IP
  9. Deos

Deos Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Look at this from your own personal angle.
    When was the last time that you went to some website and click on their "site map" to look through all the bunch of pages to find what you are looking for?
    Also if you did it recently, how often do you do such a thing?
    I know that I personally click on the site map maybe once or twice in the last 20 years and quickly close it and went to a more organized "site map" called "search" and type what I was looking for.
    You guess it right "search" is your "site map" modern alternative that is way better organized and is usually right on top.

Deos, Apr 11, 2022 IP
  10. Gadgetz1

Gadgetz1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what you meant by having one page with all of the site's links, but I'm guessing you intended to have some kind of sitemap available on some page that will guide users through the site and help them explore it more easily.

Gadgetz1, Apr 11, 2022 IP
  11. Selena-Quintanilla

Best Answers:
    Thank for your reply,
    My question was not about the user experience but about the SEO,)

Selena-Quintanilla, Apr 12, 2022 IP
  12. Deos

Deos Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For Google to rank your website user experience is important, the previous message that I wrote is SEO and user experience related as those two are linked together.
    Just go on any major website, no one has a site map.

Deos, Apr 12, 2022 IP
  13. Selena-Quintanilla

Best Answers:
    Good point!

Selena-Quintanilla, Apr 14, 2022 IP