1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How does the pursuit of reward affect you or your audience?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Anders Larsson, Feb 10, 2022.

The constant pursuit of a reward triggers dopamine, and what I believe is that a healthily handling of dopamine is very important if you want to have success in your business. I have some ideas that I want to share with you later on as a video. Before that, I want to encourage you to take your time to think about the following:
    1. How do you use this in your marketing?
    2. What is your recommendation to handle it safely?
    I would love to add your responses to my video. Let me know if you don't want me to add yours.
    Cheers

Anders Larsson, Feb 10, 2022 IP
  2. yaroslav_nz

yaroslav_nz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am by far not an expert marketer. But I think dopamine is not used in marketing. At least the best marketers dont used it in my understanding.
    I think I heard once the formula for marketing is
    Fear & Low Self-esteem + a Miracle Solution + Proof that its not Too Good to be True.
    Why would you reward people with a dopamine in marketing unless you are a social media company like IG or TicTock?

yaroslav_nz, Feb 13, 2022 IP
  3. VortexAlpha

VortexAlpha Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure which rewards exactly are you referring to, as there aren't so many rewards in marketing, we are more talking about some promotional activities and giveaways, but I don't really see them as rewards, more like bait for some other actions, for example, you give something for free but ask users to sign to your newsletter, let's say. It's more like an exchange process, and it can work pretty good really if executed properly.

VortexAlpha, Feb 16, 2022 IP
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I think that some aspects of marketing loyalty programs and other marketing programs that utilize gamification fit your premise. Rewarding a customer for desired behavior in a clear and progressive manner can certainly raise feelings of satisfaction, success, etc., which may release dopamine. One challenge, of course, is ending such a program and, therefore, stopping the rewards that buyers had become accustomed to.

jrbiz, Feb 16, 2022 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    oh I think plenty do.

Car ads are to make buyers feel better about their purchase, not to convince you to buy. If you feel good then you're more likely to spread the word.

TV ads are all about making you want to be (or occasionally not want to be) the person in the ad. The anticipation of the clean house, the fab vacation.

When I go to an e-commerce site and there's a message about someone else buying the things I'm looking at that is a little dopamine hit confirming I'm in the right place to buy.

When courier companies update me on the progress of my parcel, yes, it's good customer service but it's also building anticipation. Dopamine is all about anticipation.

How much you want to trigger a dopamine hit depends on your product. Selling something that is a carefully thought out and expensive purchase - how you do it will be different from an impulsive cheap purchase but there will be an argument that both benefit from some sort of "nurturing" of the buyer.

sarahk, Feb 16, 2022 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. solobeton

solobeton Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The pursuit of reward can have a profound effect on both individuals and groups. For example, when people are offered a reward for completing a task, they may be more likely to complete it. In fact, research has shown that people are more likely to work harder when they are offered a reward, even if the task is unpleasant.

This is because the reward provides a motivating force, which encourages people to continue working until they have achieved their goal. In addition, the pursuit of reward can also have an effect on behaviour. For example, people may be more likely to take risks when they are pursuing a reward.

This is because the potential rewards associated with taking risks may be greater than the potential rewards associated with playing it safe. Finally, the pursuit of reward can also have an effect on decision-making. For example, people may be more likely to make choices that they believe will lead to a reward.

This is because the prospect of a reward can provide a sense of excitement and anticipation. Overall, the pursuit of reward can have a profound effect on both individuals and groups. It can motivate people to work harder and take risks, and it can also influence their decision-making.

solobeton, Feb 25, 2022 IP
  7. Anders Larsson

Anders Larsson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you for all the replies. I finished the video before solobeton's post so unfortunately I didn't add it. Also the video had become to long.
    Here is the video and I'm sorry but I messed up the sound, I hope you still can hear what I talk about:

This is the video I was referring to that inspired me to make the video:

Anders Larsson, Mar 4, 2022 IP
    jrbiz likes this.