1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Life without Google!

Discussion in 'Google' started by marktravellinks, Aug 5, 2014.

1. SGraf

SGraf Peon

Best Answers:
    Duckduckgo works pretty decent (it also has a google backend among other things) as far as i understand.

If you want a self-hosted solution: searx is rather wonderful and integrates a few sources such as google, bing,... => However you can also disable backends such as google and still get pretty useful results.

If google ever closes its search engine, i would probably look into apache solr or yacy https://yacy.net/demonstration_tutorial_screenshot/ and re-build an workable index from my own search history of the last 10 years, as well as friends and peers to contribute.
    Create our own little "filter"/selection bubble so to speak.

SGraf, Mar 20, 2021 IP
  2. noxez

noxez Peon

Best Answers:
    Me too... tried startpage.com, duckduckgo.com, bing... but no other SE gets you similar well sorted links, almost perfectly presorted... but im getting really pissed off google... ratm it doesn't even matter what i'm searching for, every single search i have to proof, that i'm not a robot...

Maybe someone has a solution or workaround, working on Linux 5.4.0, (x)ubuntu/debian (kali-rolling) x86_64, Firefox 87.0, and im not really in programming, web development or similar stuff (but i definitely can not be the only one, saving neither cookies or history, it also happens, when i start a new search on the same window/register... any ideas?). Is there something like a "error log"? How does google decide if it has to proof this search or not? Are there special keywords? And because it happens on every device on my network almost permanently: Could it be because of the public ip or rather the iis at all? (got no fixed landline, just a LTE-flatrate... but its coupled to my smartphone, only chance for me to be online, without having any limits in my mind all the time)

noxez, Apr 3, 2021 IP
  3. simple007

simple007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no doubt life without Google sucks. You've started a good thread... I can't imagine how I would function if Google is not there for assistance. :)

simple007, Apr 18, 2021 IP
  4. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You would spend lots of time at the local library flirting with the librarians while they looked up the answer to any question that you would have.

mmerlinn, Apr 18, 2021 IP
  5. Elisa Sangster

Elisa Sangster Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Do you know how much I hate librarians? Oh nope. more to books. Tug baggage on the way. :rolleyes:

Elisa Sangster, Apr 18, 2021 IP
  6. lucasalonso8

lucasalonso8 Banned

Best Answers:
    I could not imagine it, where should I search for entertainment? There are several substitutes of Google, however, for me Google is TOP one.

lucasalonso8, Apr 21, 2021 IP
  7. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is assuming Google does not copy DP and BAN you.

mmerlinn, Apr 21, 2021 IP
  8. John Bidness

John Bidness Peon

Best Answers:
    depending on it, for example, China or Russia live quietly without Google, there are local search engines

John Bidness, Jun 16, 2021 IP
  9. Joeyz

Joeyz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google may cease to exist, but what they have in their databanks, how they get information and how they retain it will still be in cyberspace somewhere.

What happens to any company that goes out of business? The business itself lives on. Someone else will pick up the pieces, hopefully numerous people, and The Search goes on just as well as it did. The only difference being that no one company will hold a monopoly on the results we look for.

Joeyz, Jul 5, 2021 IP
  10. czqyniuy21

czqyniuy21 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's just a matter of time, and both of them will eventually choose one of the most important competitors

czqyniuy21, Sep 5, 2021 IP
  11. Fmuller

Fmuller Peon

Best Answers:
    Life without Google!?
    OMG could it be real? :)

Fmuller, Sep 21, 2021 IP
  12. Đặng Văn Bình

Đặng Văn Bình Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree. DuckDuckGo has more honest algorithms due to the lack of self-censorship and services like Adsense. This is good for the average user, but bad for the advertiser, and in general for brand marketing.

Đặng Văn Bình, Sep 21, 2021 IP
  13. sohel mahmood

sohel mahmood Peon

Best Answers:
    Once Yahoo was all about search engine but now it's Google itself. There will be something else if Google dose not exist .

sohel mahmood, Sep 22, 2021 IP
    StaSen likes this.
  14. Đặng Văn Bình

Đặng Văn Bình Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo has never shown itself globally so that it is dominant in every country. In a number of countries, this search engine was not used at all. Google is dominant. Of course, someone else will appear, but the consequences of Google leaving along with all the integrations (email. maps, android apps) will be quite catastrophic.

Đặng Văn Bình, Sep 23, 2021 IP
  15. Maria Allen

Maria Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    One can not survive without Google. Bing and other search engine can not compete with Google.

Maria Allen, Sep 24, 2021 IP
  16. Đặng Văn Bình

Đặng Văn Bình Member

Best Answers:
    Why are you sure that search engines like DuckDuckGo and Bing can't survive without Google? The giant is dying, users are being redistributed across other engines. A new giant will appear, in which money will be poured.

Đặng Văn Bình, Sep 26, 2021 IP
  17. thedark

thedark Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think that people are already starting to change the way they look for info online. I am in a lot of FaceBook groups and people are asking questions they would be able to easily find an answer on google.

thedark, Oct 13, 2021 IP
  18. emmaback

emmaback Member

Best Answers:
    I'm a bit late to the party but since everybody's just suggesting different browsers and DuckDuckGo:

Please go take a look at "LineageOS for microG" (or maybe just micro and a custom ROM of your choice). I'm too lazy to explain everything throughout, but basically, LineageOS is a custom android operating system and micro simulates having all those Google apps that like half of the android apps rely on. You'd be surprised how often you actually need this. When I first tried running my phone 100% Google-free I wasn't even able to use stuff like online banking and a lot of other apps I use daily anymore, since apparently everything relies on having the fucking Google frameworks installed these days.

LineageOS is a great OS even if you don't use it to get away from Google, btw. I've actually been using it for years now and most of the time I had the basic Google apps installed since they just make your life way easier. But LineageOS combined with microG. Holy shit. It's awesome. Also, it really makes you think about how big of a deal Google really is these days. Do you think you already know? I thought so too until I tried to live 100% without it. It's fucking everywhere.

emmaback, Dec 30, 2021 IP
  19. arnego2

arnego2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You will once Google is gone.

arnego2, Dec 30, 2021 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  20. moskau

moskau Active Member

Best Answers:
    Literally doomed.
    [​IMG]