1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

OptiGold ISP

Discussion in 'Databases' started by WXLM_kimberly, Sep 20, 2021.

Greetings Everyone:

I hope I'm posting this in the right place as what I'm looking for as a database of sorts. If this is not the right pace for this then please let me know and feel free to move it. I am at present looking for information on a product that I think someone here might have made called "OptiGold ISP 3.3.8" While this product seems to be about as ancient as the Flintstones, I'm wondering if the original developer(s) are still around and would be willing to give me a license to use this ancient piece of software as well as point me in the directions as to where to obtain versions for mac OS 9 and latest version for windows? I know there's probably not much use for this particular app, but I remember reading about it somewhere and a random bout of curiosity got the better of me and I'd love to explore this a bit further if its even possible to do so.

If the developer is still around, I'd love to get a look and see how this database works as I'm learning FileMaker Pro database design and this looks like a very large project and I'd love to take inspiration from it.
    Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated

WXLM_kimberly, Sep 20, 2021 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

A quick google seems to provide information about how to uninstall it, rather than install it. Having worked with some older database packages what killed them off, in the end, is the lack of support for the drivers and dll packages rather than any shortcomings in the product itself. I suspect you'll find that's the case here. If you do find a copy be very, very careful about where you download it to, and what other files/trojans/adware it comes bundled with.

FileMaker Pro looks a bit like Microsoft Access (which I was astounded to see still existed). Is there any reason you're focused on these databases?

sarahk, Sep 20, 2021 IP
  3. WXLM_kimberly

WXLM_kimberly Peon

Best Answers:
    hi there:

there are two real reasons im interested in these things:
    1. To scratch the itch of curiosity for curiosity’s sake
    2. I’m working on some internal database stuff for my volunteer job and a few other small shops who need things like vendor management, customer management, case tracking, etc. and I’d love to examine the underpinnings of this OptiGold ISP to get a few ideas. I know the trial still works, but I’d love to have a full license and really dig under the hood

hope that answers your questions and thanks for the help

WXLM_kimberly, Sep 20, 2021 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sorry, it's long been discontinued. I technically still have the source-code, however it's been about 10 years since I had a computer that could load it (as you know, it's very old... Mac OS 9).

Not worth trying to buy a 15 year old computer to try and dig it up. But as it stands right now, I don't have a computer that can load it, I don't have an operating system that can emulate such an old operating system, I don't have FileMaker anymore (not even sure where one would get FileMaker 5/6).

Maybe (although I definitely wouldn't count on it) FileMaker 19 (the current version) could convert a FileMaker 5/6 database. Although I also don't have a new version of FileMaker to try that either. I also wouldn't really expect software from 2021 to properly convert something across 14 major versions (was from 1999).

So ya... probably not going to happen. Sorry. :)

digitalpoint, Sep 21, 2021 IP
  5. WXLM_kimberly

WXLM_kimberly Peon

Best Answers:
    hi:

thanks for your response. Here’s what I’ve done to get a working version (windows)
    1. Found a trial installer that is malware free (need a license key to fully activate)
    2. Installed MacOS 9 in an emulator (sheep shaver)
    3. Found a copy of FileMaker 5 that runs on the emulated macOS 9 install

So like you’ve mentioned, you’re not going to try and fight with it to that extent. I’d sure love to take a crack at it myself though so if possible could you at least provide me an unlocking key and at most, provide me all the original source files including *.FP5 files and at that point I’ll do all the work needed to make it work with more modern versions of FileMaker (I’m on 12 because of costs, hardware, and medical issues)… heck I’m a walking pile of old outdated hardware and software. (Since they just released iPhone 13, watch 7, and a few other things). So the newest things in my environment are my 3 iPhones, 2 iPads, and my apple watch otherwise everything in my environment is minimum 2 years old at most as old as windows XP and 2003 in most parts of my environment but there are still even older systems that run medically-necessary software that are as old as Windows 2000 :). So, yeah; again my whole life revolves around old technology for even the most mission-critical applications.

if I had it my way, we’d still be running either XP or 7 client-side and server 2003 on the servers ask anyone who knows me; you have to drag me kicking and screaming to anything new because of how sensitive to change my applications are and me in general…. All I can say is I remember when my team upgraded a mission-critical system and it stopped working, I was down for about a week while IT tracked down the issue and re-fixed the system.

Again, my whole like revolves around old and even ancient technology

sorry for the long rant, I just figured I’d try and make the case

* edited to fix typos that I found while reviewing post with screen reader on my iPhone

WXLM_kimberly, Sep 21, 2021 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What are you trying to do exactly? If you already have a trial version, isn't that all you need?

sarahk likes this.
  7. WXLM_kimberly

WXLM_kimberly Peon

Best Answers:
    hi again:

thanks for the reply; I’m trying to figure out how the multi-file architecture works as well as implement some sort of trial solution into apps I might give away in the future. I’m also interested as to where the icons came from as I like that icon set.
    Really what I’m after is the underpinnings of *how it works* rather than trying to actually use it in production. I’m hoping to learn from seeing the underpinnings and being able to study it (both with and without trial limitations) to be able to make my own software better.
    I hope that explanation makes sense

*edited to correct spelling and autocorrect errors that I didn’t catch until after I posted

WXLM_kimberly, Sep 21, 2021 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    While it was fairly advanced for it's time, we are literally talking about something that was done over 2 decades ago. While I'm all for learning, it's fairly safe to say that you should *not* be trying to copy what it does or even learn from it if you are trying to build something modern.

Honestly, I'd even go so far as to say you probably *shouldn't* look at it because it might put some bad design ideas in your head. Everything has changed *so* much these days that there is no way I'd even consider building anything like that these days. It was a lot of internal workarounds to get things to work which completely aren't necessary with today's technology.

Start fresh and build something better... Looking back (literally) decades for application design or programming stuff is a terrible idea. :)

sarahk likes this.
  9. WXLM_kimberly

WXLM_kimberly Peon

Best Answers:

First off, thank you for your response. I truly do appreciate it. Secondly, I truly a.m. one of those stereotypical people that are old and not very easily swayed… You hear me off and say things like “back in my day… We didn’t have to deal with all this freaking activation BS.“ Or “back in my day the menus at the restaurants were one hell of a lot simpler…“ Yes, I do understand things in the world we live in has definitely changed from the time that was written, how ever I believe firmly that bye observing things from the past, I can copy the good, trash the bad, and just ignore everything else. There are a few things that I would be interested in, such as that a concept… I would also be interested in figuring out how the trial version is licensed and such because of the fact that I am trying to build a cross platform database app and unfortunately, I only have software protection tools that will protect a Windows exe and not a Mac binary. As a result there of that for sure is on my list of things to try to pick a part. The other thing I would like to pick a part is how you were able to make multiple files talk to each other… Again, I understand the technology in the world moves forward… However, I unfortunately I’m stuck in the past whether we like it or not. I still run windows XP on a close net work, it takes me years upon years to embrace anything new I pretty much have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the newer versions of just about anything. So call me stubborn, call me an old curmudgeon if you must, call me even stupid… But I do believe that while yes you do not want to imitate bad programming, that there may be some positive things to learn from looking at programs from the past. That is my take on it and as we can see… You and me clearly have a difference of opinion and that is perfectly acceptable. I am hoping that my logic here makes sense, if even by a very thin margin. Thank you again for your help, I am sorry for the late reply as I did not receive an email response and I just remembered to check on this.

WXLM_kimberly, Oct 10, 2021 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Kimberly - do yourself a favour and study up on some of the new tech - the cross-platform database app is super easy these days with AWS, Firebase, Mongo and any number of other systems.

Back in the day, I had a program written in Visual FoxPro. It was great but Microsoft decided not to upgrade the core architecture to keep pace with Windows and that was the death knell of any programs written with it.

There are so many resources available to help you learn, from paid courses on sites like Udemy which cost about the same as a bottle of wine, to free support sites like this one and the stack exchange sites. Don't underestimate your capacity to learn new things, to understand how code has evolved and WHY!

There are loads of women in IT these days and you'll find we're all really supportive.

sarahk, Oct 11, 2021 IP
  11. WXLM_kimberly

WXLM_kimberly Peon

Best Answers:
    I’m going to be honest… I’m not much one for change. I still use Windows XP, I still use office 2003 and barely have moved office 2007. I’m still running file maker 12, and where available acronis true image 2011. I don’t upgrade my iPhones or iPads until the apps I rely on totally stop working. I am not a huge fan of change. If the above statement about my environment doesn’t tell you much, it should at least tell you that. I am not completely adverse to learning new things, it’s just new things have to happen when I am ready for them. Let’s put it this way, if you so much is move my desk phone from the left side of my monitor the right side of my monitor yeah things will not end well. So I hope that’s a better look into the mind of me… Someone who unfortunately doesn’t like change yet has to deal with it to some degree because of her job role. At least the phones don’t change

WXLM_kimberly, Oct 11, 2021 IP
  12. WXLM_kimberly

WXLM_kimberly Peon

Best Answers:
    @digitalpoint

First off thanks for having me around :) Secondly, I've been able to get the OptiGold ISP working in an ancient version of FileMaker; however, I seem to have hit a snag :-( to be able to gain full access to the database and see how it works behind the curtain, I'd need the original *.FP5 files (if you still have those hanging around on some old backup or something)... The versions installed by the installer have had their admin access revoked even with using a FileMaker decrypt program none of the passwords that go with them are admin level. For obvious reasons (to prevent people doing exactly what I'm trying to do and seeing the inner workings of how it works or messing it up) it seems that you've thought this one through... well golden star for you there... :) This situation has indeed made me laugh as trying to see how "ancient" databases work seems to have finally reached the end of its road unless you can throw me one last life raft here... I doubt it, but the saying goes "the only stupid question is the question neer asked"

WXLM_kimberly, Oct 29, 2021 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    While I still think it's a really bad idea to learn from it, it's also a commercial product. Throwing out the source code to the world also doesn't make sense for other reasons, sorry... :)

I'm sure there are a ton of FileMaker sample applications out there somewhere...

digitalpoint, Nov 3, 2021 IP
  14. WXLM_kimberly

WXLM_kimberly Peon

Best Answers:
    wow! I didn’t even know you were still selling the thing. I thought it was so dead you weren’t even selling it.

WXLM_kimberly, Nov 3, 2021 IP
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I doubt he's selling it, doesn't stop it being a commercial product though.

sarahk, Nov 4, 2021 IP
  16. WXLM_kimberly

WXLM_kimberly Peon

Best Answers:

Valid point :) still; something that ancient (by today’s standards anyway) is probably 1) abandoned, 2) no longer sold thus ending it’s viability commercially and 3) developer has clearly moved on.

Again valid point, I’m just giving my thought process here.

WXLM_kimberly, Nov 4, 2021 IP