1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Opinion of my site

Discussion in 'Websites' started by iphoneglance, Sep 16, 2021.

I recently built an Apple Mac tips, tricks and reviews website. Would like to know what you guys think so far? Honest opinion. Here is the site:

https://www.themacbookguide.com

iphoneglance, Sep 16, 2021 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You're off to a good start.

As an occasional mac user who is about to become a full time mac user I've been needing some help. I've needed both the basics such as how to take a screen shot, and the more technical how to set up an existing mac to be multi-user without breaking paths and jdks. I'd be interested in knowing what I can install using brew that will be helpful.

sarahk, Sep 16, 2021 IP
  3. iphoneglance

iphoneglance Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh brilliant, I am going to write those articles then. Lookout for them

iphoneglance, Sep 16, 2021 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    For the most part you have a generic blog. That's NOT necessarily a bad thing if you have unique content of value.

The immediate failings I see from a UI perspective is the use of px metric fonts sending many users diving for the zoom, excessively light text-colors that's probably fine on crApple's "make everything bold and blurry" rendering but tells Windows and Linux users to go suck it, outright illegible contrasts in the footer for the dates.

Alternative navigation is jacked due to the improper use of numbered headings, with depth 2 missing outright, depth 4's doing depth 2's job, etc, etc. An H4 should be the subsection of the H3's, not the heading for them!

Popping the bonnet to look at the code, it's the typical bloated train wreck laundry list of how NOT to build a website that is turdpress, though dialed up to 11 with font loading crapped into the <head>, static scripting in the document, etc, etc, making page loads slower than need be and likely costing more to host.

I won't go too deep into it because... well, it's the dirtbag scam artistry that is turdpress. That's not your fault, but there's a LOT that should be fixed in turning a cute toy blogging system for Grandma into a real website.

As evidenced by the 4 megabytes in 65 files of the home page... which is why the loading time is so slow. (> 15 seconds here). That 136k of that is the HTML, on a page that only has 6.8k of plaintext and a hair over two dozen content media (images/videos)? That's not even 20k of HTML's job! Same goes for the utterly nutters megabyte of CSS in a dozen files when no legitimate website really needs more than 48k of the stuff in one or two files per media target... or the off the cuff 1.13 megs of scriptttardery on a site that near as I can tell isn't even doing anything I'd be using JS for in the first place.

But again, that's turdpress for you.

deathshadow, Sep 17, 2021 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  5. iphoneglance

iphoneglance Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback. Do you know how to change the size of the font for the excerpt on the homepage? The font seems to be perfect on individual articles but not on the excerpt. Do you know if there's a way to use theme editor to do this?

iphoneglance, Sep 17, 2021 IP
  6. seobeena

seobeena Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mac reviews really help me to buy new one ..

seobeena, Sep 18, 2021 IP