1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is MBA necessary for business?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Liam Smith, Aug 16, 2021.

Is MBA necessary for business?

Liam Smith, Aug 16, 2021 IP
  2. Mateo Jones

Mateo Jones Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, an MBA is required. A successful businessman in the country must be able to effectively manage both the product and the people. To increase their management expertise, people who lack managerial abilities should enroll in an MBA degree program.

Mateo Jones, Aug 16, 2021 IP
  3. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, it is NOT required. If it were a requirement to succeed in business, millions of successful businessmen would have failed.

Further MBAs are a relatively recent invention. People have succeeded in business for THOUSANDS of years BEFORE MBAs were invented.

mmerlinn, Aug 16, 2021 IP
    jrbiz and sarahk like this.
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I love how you to lads have found each other, brand new members posting within 10 minutes of each other yet nothing else in this forum has caught your attention. Maybe another day you'll join another discussion.

In the meantime, Mateo, most business people are in towns or cities, rather than "in the country" and there are just as many women as men. So, it might be that men need an MBA but I can assure you that women do not. They can succeed without one. I know women who have got MBAs and they do help, but they're far from "required".

sarahk, Aug 16, 2021 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    In some businesses (e.g., banks, Fortune 500 corporations, major consulting companies, etc.) an MBA will open more doors for you if you are on the outside, looking to get in. But it is certainly not a guarantee of such success.

If you are planning to start and run your own business, a case could be made that an MBA would help one to understand the financial and economic side of the business. On the other hand, one could make the case that using those MBA dollars and two years to instead invest in running your start-up might provide a much better education in that regard.

If you are hoping to get a promotion at your current employer with an MBA, you will need to closely understand the thinking and the policies your company has around this. It might help at some companies and be totally useless at others. Same rules apply if you are hoping to get a better next job at another employer with an MBA.

jrbiz, Aug 16, 2021 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I remember when an MBA was just for the people who were already leaders in their industry and who just wanted that extra edge. You definitely didn't do one without 20 years of business experience. These days they seem to be targetted at young people.

sarahk, Aug 16, 2021 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am on an advisory board for a Boston university's MBA program. They say that they prefer to accept MBA candidates who already have some work experience and my perception from student contact is that about 50% of the students are coming from the workforce, but usually with 5 years or less experience. Very rare to find someone in their thirties or forties in the program.

jrbiz, Aug 16, 2021 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    My very, very clever & well-qualified sister did one a while back with the London School of Economics - at the start they said that people would drop out in this order:
    • married with little kids
    • married with big kids
    • married women
    • married men
    She was one of the few married people to hang in there and finish.

Based on her experience it's probably better to do them when you're young because you're less likely to have those other responsibilities. The thought of doing it with <5 years experience though!

sarahk, Aug 16, 2021 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting. I don't hear much about the dropout rate (have never asked, in fairness). I do know that they work long and hard to fill seats for every new class. Then, they work long and hard to help the newly minted MBA get a high-paying job because that statistic counts heavily in the grad school rankings.

jrbiz, Aug 16, 2021 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  10. weboost

weboost Peon

Best Answers:
    I want to try anyway, I hope it will works

weboost, Aug 18, 2021 IP
    davilama2682 likes this.
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Do your research, know your return on investment, be ready to make personal sacrifices. What's unacceptable to one person will be ok to another. Only you know how it'll pan out for you.

sarahk, Aug 18, 2021 IP
  12. weboost

weboost Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks,

I already started to learn how to join to MBA, I'm curious about what I can learn from it, what courses they have

weboost, Aug 19, 2021 IP
  13. digital_partners

digital_partners Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, it is not necessary but if you want to improve your business skill you must do it

digital_partners, Aug 19, 2021 IP
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    They may offer specific "tracks" within the MBA program. E.g., in the business school I am involved with, they offer a Finance track, a Supply Chain/Logistics track, an Entrepreneurship track, and I think there is at least one more that I am forgetting. Anyway, you may want to consider what "flavor" MBA might work best for you, if such options are offered.

jrbiz, Aug 19, 2021 IP
  15. davilama2682

davilama2682 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would want an MBA just to have one! I enjoy learning...and it would be possible for me since I just earned my Bachelor of Arts degree in Anthropology this year, 2021. I graduated a few months ago! I looked at a Technology Management specialization MBA. Also looked at a Master of Science in Management. I am in an entrepreneurial cohort now working toward starting my own business. I will be launched before obtaining a Master's in anything - but, I do think that it would help. No matter what I learned/majored in I would find a way to make it applicable to no matter I do! Life learning and experience.

davilama2682, Aug 20, 2021 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  16. jaguar34

jaguar34 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For getting hired as a business person in a company which is listed in nasdaq or Nifty you do need MBA.

jaguar34, Aug 21, 2021 IP