1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Bigcommerce is the worst eCommerce software I've worked with!

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Andrii_b, Sep 13, 2013.

1. SuzanneSH

SuzanneSH Peon

Best Answers:
    Hoping this will help from an outsider's perspective looking in...

I've worked for larger scaled companies that have used Magento in the past and later migrated over to a different ecommerce platform (not one with a big name), but I was such a huge fan that when I moved onto the next organization I introduced them also to this smaller ecommerce platform.

I'm sorry I can't speak too much to Bigcommerce, but can speak to Magento. Magento was great in our beginning stages - the company was making a few million a year annually online and we were ready to expand - mainly with site features and offering various promos. Our main limitation came within merchandising and special discounts. Before we knew it, we were adding in app after app, but still we were settling for whatever that particular app's features/functionality was.

In comes in a silent competitor, who I'm leaving nameless so this doesn't come off as an advertisement, who really blew us away. Most of the features we had to pay extra for on Magento was standard in their system. It's a small start up company and I was nervous to trust our now $25+ mil in revenue with, but demo after demo proved their capabilities. Truly, all features our clothing company (with thousands of products in up to 25 color ways/5 sizes) was searching for was all in one place - one in-house solution from a small team based in NYC.

My biggest fears came more from the support side than system capabilities, as it was obvious the capabilities were there.

Some things I want to bring to light in case those of you in a similar position as me (Director of eCom for a Fortune 500 fashion brand), is that it's not all about the list of features. Where this list used to be 99% of what I would focus on in the past, now I would say this accounts for 85-90% of it all (barring cost ;)). This small start up was extremely thoughtful every step of the way, and these are the extra benefits received that are not necessarily always advertised:
    -This start up CEO came from a fashion background as a buyer for Macys and sales roles at both Kenneth Cole Productions and Nine West Group.
    -The CEO started his company our of frustration within the industry for B2B
    -This company was born and bred on the B2B side and later acquired their B2C piece - these systems speak to one another!!
    -Everything is in-house ... from development to support. If there's an issue with the site and it's midnight, I'm not calling overseas! Instead, I sent out an email and typically receive a response from a live person within 15 minutes. During the day, they have an office line I can call. Basically, there's no running around and being transferred from department to department.
    -Dedicated account manager. I have a direct point of contact that I can call (I have their cell phone number, so I can even text if I absolutely needed to) at my convenience.

I have more to list, but basically just trying to bring to light the extra's that tend to be lulled over from time to time.

check out jlindebergusa.com if you want to see one of the sites they implemented and run managed services for.

SuzanneSH, Apr 25, 2017 IP
  2. SuzanneSH

SuzanneSH Peon

Best Answers:
    David, feel free to contact me - I can refer you to the company we use - THEY ARE A DREAM!

SuzanneSH, Apr 25, 2017 IP
  3. ashome

ashome Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree with you , but recently they've upgraded their system, if you still don't want to rely on that then give Shopify Plus is a try. I think that is the most reliable platform right now. I own an agency and I have done a few stores with that. That's why I am saying.

ashome, Apr 29, 2017 IP
  4. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    HOW do you KNOW that it is the best? Have YOU tested ALL other competitors? What parameters are you using to determine how it ranks? Or are you getting PAID to promote a useless solution?

mmerlinn, Apr 29, 2017 IP
  5. Cynthia Moreno

Cynthia Moreno Peon

Best Answers:
    There are other hosted options too like Shopify or StoreHippo. These are easy to use and StoreHippo, in particular, is extremely flexible and highly scalable.

Cynthia Moreno, Aug 10, 2021 IP
  6. Kim Hoseok

Kim Hoseok Peon

Best Answers:
    If bigcommerce keeps suggesting more and more apps for even basic features then it is just like Shopify. Shopify plus customers are looking for other options as this is getting too heavy on their pockets. I think more features should be in-built. Platforms like BigCommerce and Shopify Plus make you pay more eventually even though their pricing looks reasonable in the starting. :(

Kim Hoseok, Aug 18, 2021 IP