1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What can you do with an online MFA in creative writing?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Liam Smith, Aug 3, 2021.

What can you do with an online MFA in creative writing?

Liam Smith, Aug 3, 2021 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Due to our world being in what I will call covid disarray, I would suggest you find a job that will pay a wage on which you can sustain yourself as you look for the nitch that fits you best. The first thing that comes to my mind is checking on a teaching job either in highschool or a junior college near you. Since you did not mention that you have teaching credentials for public school a private school or junior college would be ideal where you could avoid having to face deadly dull education courses.

Another possibility is to look for a job with your local newspaper or a newspaper in your area.

An advertising agency might need someone to write copy for them.

None of these ideas above sound particularly creative in my mind. But at this point you need to be able to sustain yourself.

Check out the content creation area found here https://forums.digitalpoint.com/forums/content-creation.102/ as your look around for ways to find your nitch in life.

Smyrl, Aug 3, 2021 IP
    jrbiz and sarahk like this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    What was your area of concentration for the MFA? Screenwriting, copywriting, or ???

jrbiz, Aug 3, 2021 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd take a different approach.

You are looking at a qualification and asking what jobs it would lead to.

Instead...

Look at the jobs you want and ask recruiters what qualifications they need you to have. Find out what steps are on the way to that dream job.

They might recommend you get a job doing X and study for a Y qualification while you're working and then get a job doing Z and work your way up to the dream job.

Or they might say that you really need a different qualification and the Masters of Fine Arts won't help you at all.

My son has just been asked to do a funded PhD next year and is about to decline. While it's flattering we talked about what kinds of jobs would be available to him if he did it now and he can see that he'd be following a path he wasn't that passionate about. Instead, he's going to work for a bit, effectively taking a gap year or 2, until he has something really exciting to study. Your situation is no different. Qualifications are a tool, and you don't need every tool.

sarahk, Aug 5, 2021 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. Mahmoud Badran

Mahmoud Badran Peon

Best Answers:
    Recommendations, research results and examples

Mahmoud Badran, Jan 12, 2022 IP
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Is this a new record: 1 day + 1 post = Banned?

jrbiz, Jan 12, 2022 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My recommendation is to adhere to the rules lest you get banned....whoops, too late!:(

Spoiltdiva, Jan 12, 2022 IP
    jrbiz likes this.