1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

City websites

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by bae, Aug 4, 2021.

I'm planning to develop a website for the city I'm living in. The city has it's own website on the .org, I'll be developing the .com. I want to include things like city news, business information, events, attractions, a private forum for residents, etc. Hoping to sell ads to local businesses.

Looking for examples of similar sites that are successful or where you just like the design (even if you designed it). Thanks in advance for any submissions. Post here or send me a private message.

bae, Aug 4, 2021 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're late. Don't they (the city) have a social media page? Everything people need to know about your city can be found on facebook. Most countries have their own social media outlets similar to facebook. The .org website you mentioned may not even be that busy. It's there because the government wants it to be there, but I doubt many people go there to find out what's been happening.

qwikad.com, Aug 4, 2021 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. bae

bae Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of things not covered on their website or social media. That's why I'm looking for examples of well done sites, to see if I think I can do a better job.

bae, Aug 4, 2021 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    and then there's reddit that captures the market too.

Be very, very clear about why you want to do this - ego? cashflow?
    And how much time and money you're happy to spend on the site?
    How much time and money will you spend generating fresh content?
    Do you already have a high profile in the community? Will people visit it just because it's your site?

FWIW I only opened this thread because I'm planning to do a site based on a single postcode but it's an area I'm moving to so, while I'll be interested to see what's about, the real reason I'm doing it is as an SEO experiment on some tech I'm using for a PWA. The domain is only registered for a year and I have no illusions that anyone will actually notice its arrival or demise because there are 2 community Facebook groups, subreddits, a site called "neighbourly" etc to cover the social aspect.
    So my answers:
    Why? SEO experiment
    Time? a reasonable amount to get it up and running, after that not much
    Money? I've spent $3, the budget is now maxxed out
    Fresh content? none, if I can't get it off a google API it's not happening
    High profile? I'm a nobody

sarahk, Aug 4, 2021 IP
  5. bae

bae Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    About a dozen posts on the reddit for the city over the past year. It's a large city. So that's nothing.

I may change my mind, which is why I asked for examples of city websites. I have slightly more than your $3 invested, but I could just forget the whole thing and not really care.

So, examples please. Thank you.

bae, Aug 4, 2021 IP
  6. c1lonewolf

c1lonewolf Member

Best Answers:
    most large cities have a lot more to offer than you'll find on facebook, reddit etc. , but sarahk is right, you need to be very clear WHY you're doing it. Is it to help others or only yourself?
    You don't need any website examples. Websites that are done right practically build themselves. Until you can answer the "WHY" there's no point in going any further. Some sites take years before they turn a profit and others never do.

c1lonewolf, Aug 9, 2021 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  7. bae

bae Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd like some examples for ideas, etc. I realize it can be done without any, but it would be helpful to see what people think is good / works.

As for WHY, to help promote the city, local businesses, charities, etc. And yes, I realize it can take time to be successful or that it may never be.

bae, Aug 9, 2021 IP
  8. tachyon

tachyon Active Member

Best Answers:
    For city life, you should consider Instagram instead of a website. Because people don't want to waste much time on their website.

tachyon, Aug 9, 2021 IP
  9. c1lonewolf

c1lonewolf Member

Best Answers:
    social media platforms are nothing more than popularity contests! Having a web host allows you the freedom and opportunity to explore new things whether it's coding, tutorials, image galleries etc. and to build new ideas while posting the things you like in your own unique way whatever that may be.

A website is literally nothing but a domain name pointed to a directory. Domains come and go every day. So why attach the 'Facebook' or 'Instagram' names to it, other than the fact you're using "their" platform. You could simply create your_name.com, .org etc.

@bae if you want a place to start it's putting in the leg work. Find the need! Then make a way to fill it!

c1lonewolf, Aug 11, 2021 IP